Hover Training Video

Heliman450

Hi all! I'm waiting for a window in the weather to get back to my practise and fine tuning of my Spirit Pro so in the meantime have been tinkering with my simulator settings. My new 550 mm rotor blades are different dimensions to those in the simulator, so they're updated. I also noticed that the tail rotor diameter was different than actual so updated that size, too. Makes me wonder about the other settings.

Trying to understand exactly what I'm doing each time I make an adjustment somewhere........... does anyone understand the numbers in the Spirit (Pro) and how they relate to Tx. settings?

For example, in the 'Sensor Tab' it says 'For the Rudder rotation rate pilots are preferring a range of 9 – 11'. What are the units???? When the values are between 9-11 what does this mean exactly? The manual's screen shot shows a value of 8 on this.

At the moment, my tail rotor is set at D/R 70% with no Expo. so how do these numbers relate to say, 100% D/R or 50% D/R???

All feedback appreciated.

Smoggie

The 'rotation rate' is the maximum angular rate of rotation. It can be adjusted for cyclic (pitch and roll) and rudder (yaw). I'm not sure what the units are in the Spirit but if it's like other FBL controllers '10' probably results in a rotation of one full 360 degree rotation per second.

The rates you set in the FBL assume a full 100% command signal from the Tx, so by setting lower rates in the Tx the rate of rotation of the heli will be proportionally reduced from what you set in the FBL.

Heliman450

The 'rotation rate' is the maximum angular rate of rotation. It can be adjusted for cyclic (pitch and roll) and rudder (yaw). I'm not sure what the units are in the Spirit but if it's like other FBL controllers '10' probably results in a rotation of one full 360 degree rotation per second.

The rates you set in the FBL assume a full 100% command signal from the Tx, so by setting lower rates in the Tx the rate of rotation of the heli will be proportionally reduced from what you set in the FBL.

Hi Steve, I thought I could rely on you for some good stuff.............. I'd bet on them all using the same basic principles, so if you can bear with me on this. If the centre value of 10 (9-11) gives what you say, what does the reduction to 9 do exactly? Presumably, it's a reduction of 10% in the rotation rate.

I've got a video of my piro problem and my subsequent 'rescue' (not very pretty :biggrin1: ) but it isn't top quality due to the overcast sky. My intention is to do it all again asap (weather permitting) but I'd prefer to feel reasonably sure of my understanding of what needs fine tuning and by how much. What would you suggest for D/R settings?

With the bigger blades, there was no bobbing and the heli lifted rather than dropping when it started to lose the stable position.

Smoggie

Phil,

Yes, if 10 does give you 360 degrees per second then if you set the Tx rates to 90% that would give you 90% of that value, or 324 deg per second. Personally I just adjust until it 'feels right'. I leave all my rates in the Tx at 100% and if i need to adjust i do it in the FBL, but 'middle of the road' defaults are usually fine for my taste. If you are just doing hovering and 'scale like' circuits a lower value may feel better.
By using bank switching you can have different rotation rates for your different flight modes. Personally though I find having significantly different responsiveness accross flight modes can catch you out, I've had a few close shaves when the response was less than I expected so i now make them all the same.

Typically I use around 25% expo on the cyclics, the rudder expo I tend to tweak to suit the individual heli because I find they can be quite different feel from one to the next.

It will be interesting to see the video of your piro problem. My Goblin 630 with the Spirit pro in piros very axially so I dont think it's an inherent issue with the Spirit.

Last edited:

Heliman450

Hi Steve, thanks for the feedback. It doesn't look like I'll get an opportunity for shooting a video any time soon so I'll look at doing some editing of the one I've got and publish it.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Hi all, here's the link to my new thread showing the edited down version of my last hover practise as per Steve's request. The weather's a bit overcast, but it seems to work ok.

Piro Tuning (Spirit Pro)

Cheers!

Nice going Heliman450 :thumbsup:. Keep up the good work, get more stick time in and before you know it :shhh: it will be all natural to you. Good luck on your future flights

Heliman450

Hi Ivan, the weather's playing havoc with my 'stick time' right now. The two-weeks' ahead forecast is showing rain for most days and as each day comes up it changes so I can hardly tell from one minute to the next what it's going to do :cussing:

I'm trying to catch up with the simulator stick time but the real and virtual action don't match up :banghead: so I desperately need real time practise. No chance of me just giving up, so thanks to all the feedback I'm getting here I know it will come right in the end.

Bye now!

Top Bottom