600 Hot Scorpion motor

How hot is too hot when it comes to a 600 class motor? I flew my Airwolf for about 5 minutes and the motor was still very warm when i got home 10 minutes later Never TOO HOT to touch but very warm. This motor is a Scorpion hk-4025-730kv with a EcoPower 4400 maH 6s batt

murankar

Staff member
Scorpions tend to run hotter than other motors. Unless you temp the motor after a flight we won't know how hot it is. I know my 2 scorpions run hotter than my cheap hobbypartz.com motor.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

danhampson

The scorpion (6s 880kv) on my protos also ran quite hot. The same as yours hot to touch but not too hot to touch.

Thanks guys! I was just concerned because my 450 motors never seemed to get very hot. Almost ready to put the airwolf fuse on and make some video finally. ;)

Derek

Video is good with or without the fuselage. Anyway, glad to hear that the project is progressing.

Lee

All Scorpion motors run hotter than there rivals, due to the power output being higher than most.
Check the specs and you'll probably see the Wattage is higher than your other motor.

pvolcko

450 size motor to 600/700 size, yeah the wattage will be much higher. Probably 4-8x higher. :) If you have the ability with your ESC, try turning down advance timing a bit. The 3 degree, 5, 7, etc. number, not the khz number which is drive frequency and has little impact on motor heating generally, but a lot on ESC heating. The higher the advance timing is the more current the motor will draw through each phase and the hotter it will get (and the hotter the ESC will get). On Castle Creations ESCs I use low advance timing setting which helped keep the scorpion on my TRex 700 in check. Yes, it would and does get pretty hot. Too hot to touch when just landing. This heating is one of the reasons I think Scorpion is insistent on oiling their bearings after every 10 flights, their motors (the bigger size ones in particular) get very hot which will tend to degrade bearing oil more quickly. The quantum and eflight motors I have never get anywhere near as hot, even on similar sized helis.

Thanks Paul. I use a Castle as well on this bird so will try what you say. Ok guys Im taking it out today for more testing without fuse. Will stick a camera on it and put it up later today. Where would it belong? This forum, or with my airwolf forum or in a video forum?

Top Bottom