horndog

horndog

Howdy, new to this great hobby. Started flying when my son got me a blade mcx for christmas 2 yr. ago. Since then 2 blade msr's , a blade 120 , a blade sr, an finally t-rax 450 se. Oh yea got a Phoenix V3 after spending more money than I care to admit. Can fly all but the sr, it seeem to have a mind of it's own, hell I can't even get it to hover. And thats what brought me to find this site. Looking for some help and pointers. I've rebuilt it complitly from the landing gear up three times and still no controlable hover. One of the best suggestion I've heard is e-bay but I aint a quiter but I'm going broke, LHs won't help much, seems they like my money on parts better. Any help would be appreciated.

Lee

Welcome to the forum,
I've never had a SR but as you already have a 450, I would spend your time with that. Its a far better heli than the SR.

wolfman76

WELCOME TO THE RC-HELP FAMILY ENJOY YOUR STAY!!!! as far as the sr i have no i dea either i started with a exi 450 but i am sure there is someone else on here that will be able to help you....

BOKI

horndog; Welcome to the site ! You sound like you have a good start flying Helicopters already! The Best in your flying! I have a Trex 450 SE V2 also but I'm not good at flying it yet! Hope when the weather gets good again I can get it back out again! Also have the Phoenix Sim! Talk to you again Soon! Dave

Derek

Hey there buddy! Welcome to the site!

So you are having troubles with your SR? I can firmly believe that! It has been said to me (after I bought my Blade SR last year) that if I can fly an SR, I can fly anything. Truth be told...after investing over $300 into that SR because of repeated crashes, mostly on hover attempts, I stripped the servo's, Rx, motor, and esc off the heli and trashed the rest. Since then, I've burned up the motor and the esc doesn't work anymore so I mounted the Rx and two of the servo's on a flying wing and it flies very well. The Blade SR is junk....just speaking from my experience. I've seen Youtube videos of people that have the SR and they fly it very well. I now have a Trex 500 and I love this heli.

I know that this probably isn't what you are looking to hear, and I apologize for that. Personally, I'd just stick with your 450 and have fun. I was just like you when it came to my SR. I'd crash and break or bend something (blades, main gear, landing gear, main shaft, feathering shaft, tail boom, etc, etc) and I'd go back to the LHS for parts parts parts. Ya know...the money that I spent on that Blade SR would have paid for half of my Trex 500. There comes a time when "enough is enough" and I just hope that your SR doesn't keep picking away at your wallet.

Good luck buddy!!!

murankar

Staff member
Yeah I agree with Mountaindewdude76 (derek). I never owned it and seen both good and bad videos on the SR. You may need to upgrade the kit which really is not worth the money or effort. I like many on here that fly Helicopters have progressed from the mcx to the 120sr (loved it) to an EXI 450 and now my most recent MS Heli protos mini.

I also recommend sticking with the 450 for learning since it is a better platform for learning or just go to the 500 class which is even my stable than the 450.

Welcome to RCH!

horndog

got some good news about the Blade SR, I now have alot better idea of how a heli is suposta work. It tought me patience and the importance of locktight

Derek

Oh yes!!! Locktight is a heli's best friend. Well, locktight is also your wallets best friend, too. Let's face it.....Locktight is good, lol.

I really do wish you the best of luck with the SR. It was a very troublesome bird for me but if you can get it to work properly...that's awesome!

Yes, just as murankar mentioned above, there is an upgrade kit for the SR. It's a belt drive/variable pitch tail conversion. You can get it from Freestyle Hobby. Here is the link:

Freestyle-Hobby

It's an $85.00 conversion kit. I did buy this kit for my SR and I believe that it failed for me due to all the thin plastic parts in the kit. The pitch slider would bind and bend. However, there are people that have videos on Youtube that have bought the conversion kit and it works well for them. Maybe they just have more patience than I do....quite possible. I am not a big fan of the Blade SR but if you were to get yours to work properly..that would be awesome!

Good luck my friend. Post some pics or video clips of your progress if you can. I'd love to see evidence of someone's success with the same heli that I failed with.

Tony

Staff member
Thread lock is to a heli as air is to a human, it's required lol. And the patience thing, Yeah, It's over rated hahaha. Kidding, it's a definite virtue.

Top Bottom