HK450GT Horrible Head Wobble

Tony

Staff member
If you read the other thread, you know that I had been running at 100% throttle from day one because I was using a straight curve on the throttle. Well, I fixed that and I'm running 50/70/100. Well, 50% just isn't enough, 70% still has a wobble, but 100% is just like it was.

I will let the video explain better. The tail was not holding today also for some reason. Kept drifting nose left. And yes, I was in HH mode.

HK450GT Flight With Head Wobble - YouTube

Graham Lawrie

This is the same problem I was having with my 600, mine seems to be speed, and the gyro was picking up vibration.

Tony

Staff member
Yup, once I raised the head speed back up, everything went away. Now I have first hand experience with this issue.

Tony

Staff member
I'm going to do some more testing on this one. Try more and less pitch, find out when it stops (I'm thinkign 75%) and so on. Just fun doing the testing though lol. Wish my fingers would have worked this way a few months ago!!! Something just "clicked" and Mr. Hover Master went away. I still do a lot of hovering, but it's more for stability testing to see what it's doing. I need a more open space without these trees and power lines on the right and left of me lmao.

Derek

Yeah, I hear ya about wanting a more open space. I usually do hover tests in my backyard. However, I have privacy fencing on two sides, chain link fence on the backside, and a 10x10 shed on the one side of the yard. It can be a bit nerve racking when the winds pick up because it's not a constant wind...it's turbulent...ups and downs, lefts and rights, forwards and backwards....all without warning. Spooky spooky spooky!!!

Tony

Staff member
I think I just need to put some stronger servos on this one, and add some more pitch to it. Right now, it's VERY tame, a little too tame for me and I'm having to run at 100% with no expo. and as you can see, the flips and rolls are VERY slow. It will get there though.

Ken Jackson

Nice flips Tony. Thought you were going to hold that inverted hover. I couldn't have either with the dirt bike buzzing around. Saw the wobble, that is weird. I have come to realize that a flybarred helicopter doesn't like rolls, loops are OK but not rolls. Compared to my flybarless my flybarred looks like super slow motion. As a matter of fact I crashed my flybarred 450 today doing a roll, just didn't rotate fast enough.

Soon I'll have 2 500's and I'll stop flying that 450.

Ken

Tony

Staff member
I just wanted to see what it felt like inverted. It didn't like it at all lmao. I didn't have enough pitch and was almost maxed out. Climbing out of it would have been next to impossible, so I just flipped it back over. And the aileron rolls were actually pretty quick. I will be doing a video on how to better setup the head for faster flips and rolls. Just have to put this helicopter back together. It's down and out and I didn't even crash it lmao. Figures.

As for the wobble, that is just LOTS of slop in the head and a low head speed. An Align head would cure those issues. Plus, I didn't have enough pitch. Only 9.5º. It's at 12º now. Time to have some fun when it's back together hehe.

Top Bottom