450 HK450 Pro TT tail problem

Hey guys, hoping someone will help me understand some things.

Here it goes:
This is my first time flying TT version and man it's sweet, never belt again.
One thing I did not like is that I get pitch pumps.
Now that only happens in normal mode, as in stunt mode there is no pitch pumps.

Is this normal?
I have checked the head speed and everything is fine.
Pitch curve is:
And throttle curve is:

Any help will be much appreciated

Tony

Staff member
I'm not sure what you mean by "pitch pumps". Can you be more specific? To help your throttle though, you can change your throttle curve to 0 40 75 75 75 and it will make the heli a lot more stable in normal mode.

Sorry, maybe I used the wrong word. I get a tail kick out, or blowout, whenever I go from 40 % to 60 % or more.

That does not happen with my tail driven hell, I wonder if that's normal or if that's normal with a TT

Tony

Staff member
Okay, I think I understand now. When you give the helicopter collective input, the tail blows out to the side (always nose left). If this is the case, go with the throttle curve that I posted above, adn that will stop that. What is causing that is the added pitch on the blades adding drag as well as the extra power from the motor because of your throttle curve. By putting a flat curve on there, it will hold the tail much better.

And I HIGHLY suggest getting a set of black tail gears for this heli. If you are still running the white HK gears (I'm not a fan of HK at ALL!), then you are lucky it didn't crash the first time out. They are very soft. I have run the black gears, and never stripped them.

I looked at your vid and did almost exactly that.
Unfortunately the balance on my account did not want to buy the align gears, so I settled with Tarot gears.
They have been absolutely wonderful, I mean, I had 4 really hard landing, tail fin hitting the ground more than 10 times and not one single gear has stripped, they are very hard and well maid. The HK ones were like butter, pure crap.

Ken Jackson

OK I know exactly. I bought an HK500 TT and after several minor crashes and several kickouts that I thought were going to be crashes. Here is what I found.

The part is hot/cold assembled. The plastic basically sticks to a brushed shaft. There is no pin holding the gear to the shaft like Align would do. It is kicking out on you when you put load on it and the plastic is slipping on the shaft. Mine happened at the front gear set. It will get worse. Take it out, buy an Align replacement and don't ever use direct drive gears made by cheap companies. You can get 4 for a dollar but its not worth crashing over. The white one in the picture is a Tarot part. Notice the crack at the beveled gear where it meets the shaft? The black gear set is an Align and notice how the bevel gear has a pin through the shaft. Big difference, I learned my lesson. My 500 started out an EXI but its 95% Align now.

IMG_1668.jpg

Good Luck let me know what you find!

Ken

- - - Updated - - -

My HK is in a box in storage I was so mad. And get the black gears I have never broke one either.

IMG_1668.jpg

Tony

Staff member
At least you are running Tarot gears and not HK. They are better, even if by a little bit. They are still better.

I hear you Ken, will buy the Align ones a.s.a.p.
Although I have 3 of these 450:s, I thought about running the hell out of this one until it crashes beyond repair, hehe, and then, for the FBL versions, put in the align ones.

- - - Updated - - -

I've think they will do for me, at least for now, I mean I'm not an expert or near good.
I'm thinking that I'm gonna crash sooner or later, better for the wallet to be cheap.

Then, in near future, will sell my unbuild hk550 and buy the align 550.

The 100-200 bucks is well worth it.

Ken Jackson

Agreed, but crashing over parts gets expensive really fast. I accept crashing because I messed up but not because I wanted to save a few $. Anyway the torque tube gear set is a higher priority. You can't learn to fly if your tail is not locked in.

I retired my Blade 400 my running it till it wasn't worth fixing anymore. While I was learning I maintained one helicopter with the better parts and the others I used whatever I had or the cheap parts I bought, it's all part of the helicopter flying experience. lol. I couldn't fly the way I do without my tail rotor sticking. You need to count on it. You sure can't learn without it either.

Good luck!

Ken

- - - Updated - - -

I agree Tony about Tarot parts. I converted my EXI 450 with a Tarot torque tube upgrade. It was affordable. Have no complaints, but it's my EXI if you get my meaning. Matter if fact it's sitting crashed on the shelve. I love my 500 too much.

Ken

murankar

Staff member
That's two of us with crashed EXIs. I have no intent on getting it in the air anytime soon.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

I know Ken.
I have 2 other HK450:s FBL which I intend to use Align parts on, the one that Tony made a vid about, How to properly build a clone.
But this one, I hate it, because it was a pain in the *** to build.
The frame had a little crack in it, not that big of a deal because the crack wasn't all the way through, just esthetics, the motor was a pain, the wiring, I mean I started to hate it after 30 minutes.

On the other two, I intend to take it really slow and use Align parts, then we'll see.

Was out today and flew it. We have had bad weather for a long time now, and today after work it cleared up just a bit, bit enough for flying.
Have to say my Copter x SE feels a little bit better than this one.

Top Bottom