450 HK 450 tail rotor pitch mechanism

Davidvtv

I have pretty much finished building my HK 450 (flybar model) but I am concerned about the unequal pitch travel. With the main rotor going clockwise and the tail rotor anti-clockwise, the mechanics of the pitch control favours nose to the left. In other words there is more blade pitch for that direction than nose to the right. Surely there should be more to the right (or clockwise) shouldn't there?

Tony

Staff member
Yeah, there should be more nose right. Can you post a picture of your tail set up?

Davidvtv

Here are three photos of the tail rotor - Max pitch in each direction plus zero pitch. If I reversed the rotation of the tail rotor (to clockwise), this would solve the problem but I'm not sure whether this would have other implications.

Tail Rotor 0.jpg

Tail Rotor max L.jpg

Tail Rotor max R.jpg

hey friend..i had the same issue with my hk 450..ur right bout reversing the rudder channel..in wont work..at least in my case it didnt..i was able to fix the prob by adjusting this little nut behind the slider..im still learning these things myself and dont know if this will fix yer prob fer sure er not..but i figured id share what i had did to fix mine..hope you get er figurd out tho bud ! good luck!

WIN_20150427_134247.jpg

Tony

Staff member
One thing you can try is to reverse the blade grips. Right now, you have what is called a "leading edge link", meaning the leading edge of the blades is where the links are located. You can try to flip them around to trailing edge and see what that does. It should reverse the issue, giving you more right thrust.

I just checked my 450 Pro V2, and I as well have leading edge links, but maybe the geometry is off just enough on yours to require reversing them. And yes, you will need to flip your tail blades around once you reverse them. and CCW is the correct direction of travel for the tail when looking at it from the right side.

Davidvtv

Excellent. Thanks very much Tony. I have swapped the blade grips and it does exactly as required plus keeping the CCW rotation. I now have "trailing edge links" instead of leading edge but I assume that that is not significant.

I'm glad that I'm not the only person with issue, judging by the other reply that I got.

Thanks again for the time you gave me in providing the solution. :)

Tony

Staff member
Sorry for the very late reply, but I'm glad that it worked out! Now, we just need some video of this bird in the air!!! :biggrin1:

Lee

Don't forget, that now you have changed the orientation of the grips, your servo direction will have to be reversed.

Davidvtv

Sorry for the very late reply, but I'm glad that it worked out! Now, we just need some video of this bird in the air!!! :biggrin1:

No problem at all, Tony. I suspect you'll have to be a bit patient to see the video! lol

- - - Updated - - -

Don't forget, that now you have changed the orientation of the grips, your servo direction will have to be reversed.

Yes, thanks Lee. I've sorted that. Now it just needs some careful learning how to fly!

Top Bottom