500 hi, just bought a hk-500gt

hi, just bought a hk-500gt and not sure what motor batteries for in this size heli i've got 2 Turnigy 2,200mah 3 cell batteries can i just joined this in parallel for this.i've got a 80 amp speed controller.and a turnigy 500 motor max is 70amps. its the amps thats worrying me. will; the batteries be fine for the job.do not want to pull too much amps out of the battery and the c rating is 25.RB80A-BTO.jpgTH-motor(10).jpgimage1_3494.jpg

RB80A-BTO.jpg

TH-motor(10).jpg

image1_3494.jpg

Westy

LEGEND
they will be fine .... you can run up to 3300 6S on the 500 without mods .... make sure your main gear is not warped..... and strip everything and re thread lock it ... and clean the bearings out .... and I eman everything ... the Chinese quality standards are not really there and the bearings get assembled with heaps of grit .... even strip down partially assembled parts and confirm for yourself that is s threadlocked .... or you will pay for it in a heli carnage crash! :) good luck with the build

Tony

Staff member
Oh do I have a list of things that are a MUST to replace on this bird. First of all, running two of those batteries you have in SERIES, your going to be tail heavy. You need a 6s 3000mah pack. It's stated that a 6s 2650 pack will work, but I had the 3000 as did Lee on here. 3300 would make it a little nose heavy, but with the battery tray mod, should work. But you MUST run this bird on 6s or it will not have enough power and will be very sluggish in the air.

Now onto the parts that you will have to replace. First off, if it's plastic, replace it. This includes the washout arms, mixing arms, any grips for the blades, linkage levers and so on. Replace everything with Align, or at the very LEAST, EXI. Get a good set of servos on this thing, and spend good money on the tail. This bird is big enough to kill someone, and safety is key.

If you search the forum for "hk500gt" you will find my troubles that I have been though, and the maiden flight after I fixed everything. Once things were fixed, it was solid. However, the tail was still drifting because I cheaped out on the tail.

Lee

Save your self the frustration. Just buy the correct battery. Turnigy 3000mAh 6S 20C Lipo Pack (Great for T-Rex 500)
Or similar with a higher C rating. I have one here i don't use, that you could have if you lived in Spain :D
The two 2200mah batteries you have will need to be run in SERIES, not parallel, to give you 6S 2200mah. Parallel would give you 3S 4400mah which won't work.
2200 will only give you a very short flight and won't balance the heli correctly.

Westy

LEGEND
yep .... you could also go Tarot on the metal parts ..... cheaper than align and of great quality :)

Tony

Staff member
Yup. I chased that issue for a couple weeks before I found it. Once I put the metal EXI links on it (they were cheap, and I was more broke than I am now lmao), the blades were tracking great and the heli was as stable as you could make a flybar heli.

Tony

Staff member
Yup, that is about the quality you get when you get cheap. There are Genuine Align parts for the mixing and washout arms that are also plastic. However, I'm sure they are reinforced with fiber to beef them up a bit. If I was broke and had to get a 500GT in teh air, the Align plastic links would be the cheapest thing I would use, but I still dont' suggest them.

Slobberdog

I understand why when you have the flight loads that little parts like that are put under, one breakage ond its curtains,

Derek

Hey there, Baz! I have a Trex 500 and I love this thing. I have a few "online" buddies that have the HK500gt and they love that heli....but....they also have upgraded many or all the plastic parts to metal. Also..as far as the battery...I believe the specs call for a 6S 2650mah as a minimum. It just has to be 6S.

Good luck and I hope to see some pics or video from you and your new heli!!!

Top Bottom