Servos Help please - Max Hz rating for Digital servos?

Blade 400

Hi all,

Hoping someone can help me with this. My Gyro has a standard and Digital switch and I`ve learnt that I have to select standard if my servos can`t handle a High refresh frequency higher than 275Hz

I have the following servos Hobby King HXT900, Hi Tec HS55, Turnigy TG9d and Unbranded MG90s, I can`t find the Max Hz rating for them?

Many thanks

Blade

EDIT: I found out the Unbranded MG90 servos are sold as Tower Pro and the supplier told me they are Digital. Also, I found a spec on line that also states that the Turnigy TG9d are also Digital. I think I`ll put the Turnigy on the tail and the three MG90s on Elevator and Ailerons and will switch the Gyro to the Digital setting?

Last edited:

RandyDSok

I could only find a little info on the two analog servos, the Hextronic ( not Hobby King ) HXT900 and the Hitec HS55 ... The only info I found on the Turnigy was for their analog versions of the servo you listed.

Here is the HS55 info I found Hitec HS-55 Servo Specifications and Reviews

Here is the Hextronic HXT900 info Hextronik HXT900 Servo Specifications and Reviews

While I do like many of the Hitec servos, the HS55 isn't one of them. I usually went with the HS-65MG when needing something with those specs because they are much tougher. Of course, today digital is the way to go when possible and I have zero experience with those, they were too expensive for my budget at that time. While I had seen the Hextronic servo, I never used any so no recommendation from me on that. As I mentioned, I didn't have any digital servos when I was flying, so no experience with the Turnigy from me either. Hopefully others will have more info an/or more experience with the others to provide at least some guidance or opinions.

PS... You may want to save a link to that Servo database website, very handy when comparing the specs of various servos.

Blade 400

I could only find a little info on the two analog servos, the Hextronic ( not Hobby King ) HXT900 and the Hitec HS55 ... The only info I found on the Turnigy was for their analog versions of the servo you listed.

Here is the Hextronic HXT900 info Hextronik HXT900 Servo Specifications and Reviews

While I do like many of the Hitec servos, the HS55 isn't one of them. I usually went with the HS-65MG when needing something with those specs because they are much tougher. Of course, today digital is the way to go when possible and I have zero experience with those, they were too expensive for my budget at that time. While I had seen the Hextronic servo, I never used any so no recommendation from me on that. As I mentioned, I didn't have any digital servos when I was flying, so no experience with the Turnigy from me either. Hopefully others will have more info an/or more experience with the others to provide at least some guidance or opinions.

PS... You may want to save a link to that Servo database website, very handy when comparing the specs of various servos.
Thanks again RandyDSoK,

I think I`m going to play it safe and consider all to be analog as they we`re cheap from e-bay and I know there are lots of fakes!
It`s great to have the database though, for when I save up and buy some real Digital Servos or I may just buy an OMP Mxxx by then :biglaugh:

Blade 400

Quote Hi all,

Hoping someone can help me with this. My Gyro has a standard and Digital switch and I`ve learnt that I have to select standard if my servos can`t handle a High refresh frequency higher than 275Hz

I have the following servos Hobby King HXT900, Hi Tec HS55, Turnigy TG9d and Unbranded MG90s, I can`t find the Max Hz rating for them?

Many thanks

Blade

EDIT: I found out the Unbranded MG90 servos are sold as Tower Pro and the supplier told me they are Digital. Also, I found a spec on line that also states that the Turnigy TG9d are also Digital. I think I`ll put the Turnigy on the tail and the three MG90s on Elevator and Ailerons and will switch the Gyro to the Digital setting?

RandyDSok

I found out the Unbranded MG90 servos are sold as Tower Pro and the supplier told me they are Digital.

This brought up sort of an unrelated subject and it isn't to claim those unbranded servers are fakes or not because that ( unbranded products ) is an actual valid practice with a lot of products... This is just a warning to be sceptical of anything you purchase online and in rare cases at brick and mortar shops because the owners of those are also likely to get taken on occasion.

There are a ton of fake products on the market and often it takes an experienced eye to spot the minor differences. To provide an example of how pervasive this has become, Amazon will often "clone" a good selling product and then resell it under their Amazon Basics line. Often these are not to the same quality standard of the original ( which is another subject ) which is why Amazon can sell them cheaper than the originals they clone. To make things more interesting ( sarcasm ), there are even fakes of the Amazon Basic product out there being sold. Most fakes are going to be of popular brand names but when you start seeing fakes of cloned items as well, you know things are getting bad in this area.

All we can do as consumers is be sceptical of the items we are choosing to buy. Look for inconsistencies, most will be in pricing but others will be packaging and actual product design. It can get pretty tricky, I've even seen reputable resellers get scammed by fakes and didn't find out until after they had resold the products they distribute. It does happen less with the reputable resellers/distributors simply because of their experience but it can and does happen on occasion.

Blade 400

This brought up sort of an unrelated subject and it isn't to claim those unbranded servers are fakes or not because that ( unbranded products ) is an actual valid practice with a lot of products... This is just a warning to be sceptical of anything you purchase online and in rare cases at brick and mortar shops because the owners of those are also likely to get taken on occasion.

There are a ton of fake products on the market and often it takes an experienced eye to spot the minor differences. To provide an example of how pervasive this has become, Amazon will often "clone" a good selling product and then resell it under their Amazon Basics line. Often these are not to the same quality standard of the original ( which is another subject ) which is why Amazon can sell them cheaper than the originals they clone. To make things more interesting ( sarcasm ), there are even fakes of the Amazon Basic product out there being sold. Most fakes are going to be of popular brand names but when you start seeing fakes of cloned items as well, you know things are getting bad in this area.

All we can do as consumers is be sceptical of the items we are choosing to buy. Look for inconsistencies, most will be in pricing but others will be packaging and actual product design. It can get pretty tricky, I've even seen reputable resellers get scammed by fakes and didn't find out until after they had resold the products they distribute. It does happen less with the reputable resellers/distributors simply because of their experience but it can and does happen on occasion.
Thanks for the great advice RandyDSok!
I knew these servos were cheap and that I might run the gauntlet quality wise! I`m going to put them on the second hand Blade 400 Heli (after I test them on my servo tester) as she`s my test Heli for trying new manoeuvres out (after the Simulator) and I will see how they hold up with the Gyro set to Digital! I`m flying basic Hover and gentle f,b,l & r plus diagonal moves at low height at the moment, so If a servo fails I shouldn`t do too much damage :thumbsup:

Top Bottom