Hello from Australia

Ian R

Hi everybody,
Well I am certainly glad that I stumbled across this forum as it is turning out to be my saviour. I am getting on at the age of 71 and need all the help available to sort out my Trex 800E Trekker. I bought the kit in August and only now doing the adjustments.
Before I run through what I have done so far with my T-Rex 800E Trekker, a little history about myself. When I met my wife in 1975 I was just starting into rc helicopters at the time. I can't remember the brand of the model I flew (poor choice of words) but it was about a 200-450 model size comparing with today's helis, and ran a methanol motor. I smashed dozens of main rotor blades before I could get the thing to hover. Back then with no electronics whatsoever you had the problem of the thing rotating about the main shaft and drifting off to oblivion at the same time. If you couldn't sort it out, you would panic and drive the thing into Mother earth again. Another set of blades (wooden) and whatever else was smashed.......sigh. The day I got it to hover (sort of) the ABC TV mob were there filming the various models that people were flying when I noticed them walking over to me. I used to fly way over in one corner of the field away from all the others so that I wouldn't kill anybody. Well here's me trying to hover with the camera trained on me when, with all my concentration, I actually performed a hover (sort of). I looked over at the ABC mob and they were walking away. All I could thing of was..... COME BACK HERE YOU B*ST*RDS, look I'm hovering......sigh....once again.
I also built a Kavan Jet Ranger and I think a Schluter rc heli, but was never game to fly them. I just used to love building them, not smashing them. I do remember importing an electronic governor for the motor of the Kavan from the USA. I then lost interest until August last year (2013).
Back to my Trekker. The reason I bought such a large model was that back in 1975 a large model, because of its inertia, would rotate slower, thus allowing you time to sort it out and stop it rotating and thus then control the cyclic drift and perform....yes you have guessed it..DA..DA...THE MAGIC HOVER!!
What I have begun to realise is that we now have....THE GYRO, to control the uncontrollable rotation of yesteryear. Oh well, what's a few thousand bucks every time I fly. I just hope I have it finished before I kark it (Australian slang for "die of old age"). I originally bought an Align APS Lite programable flybarless system (which is now not being used), but now have a Wookong H heli autopilot with GPS system. I am setting the heli up with the Align 3GX ver.4 that came with the kit and for that I thank you Tony..."OH GREAT MASTER", before reverting to the Wookong, assuming there is anything left to hang it off.
Since writing most of the above, commonsense has prevailed. I have decided to buy a T-Rex 450L Dominator Super Combo (not a Pro) to practice on which has a shaft drive to the tail rotor, not dissimilar to the Trekker. I had thought of buying the fully built up and tested T-Rex 450 Plus DFC that comes complete with transmitter, charger and batteries, etc, for A$450.00 compared to A$560.00 for the Dominator, but on further consideration it just seemed silly to end up with a second inferior radio and charger, etc, when I already had a new Spektrum DX9 transmitter (voice activation) and a Cellpro 1344W Powerlab 8 battery workstation driven by a LEAB 30A switchmode battery charger acting as a power supply. I also have a Revolectrix MPA Safe parallel adapter to go with the Powerlab 8. The built up and tested Trex also only had a belt drive tailrotor and was much cheaper in a lot of other areas too. Hope you all agree with my choice. I also have a simulator package to practice on. Lucky I am retired as I think I will need all the time available.
My ultimate aim is to built a large scale heli driven by a turbine motor.
I am also a qualified mechanical engineer and motor mechanic. With Ford closing production of cars in Australia I am looking forward to purchasing (providing my dear wife lets me) the new model Mustang in 2014-2015 which for the first time will be produced in R.H.D. in the USA.
Enough for now, but thank you all for having me.
Ian.

Westy

LEGEND
Hey Ian .... I lived in Aussie for 9 years and returned to NZ in 2006 (DECEMBER)

Good to have you aboard..... great Story by the way. Good to see people of all ages still getting into it and re .... igniting there marvel at helicopters and thier magical sit in space feel that they have..... I still marvel at my Goblin 630 hovering and then defying gravity with all the 3D tricks they can now perform.

FBL systems are awesome these days ..... Helicommand is one of the best with its bail out and auto hover features .....
So are you saying you have one of these?

Alan Szabo Jr. ALIGN Trex 800E Trekker DFC 850MX Dominator 490KV 12T/112T 5/8/2013 - YouTube

If so ... WOW! ..... nice ... you should never lose orientation on that monster!

It it were me I would go for The 500 class heli ... as it has a nice power to weight ratio .... easy to see .... and you can peg it back to limit its power and agility until you get your feel for it ... then you can add in the grunt and speed as your skills improve.

Best of luck and hope you enjoy your time here ... I certainly have ... you will find all the people on here very helpful ... let me know if I can be of any assistance.....
Cheers

Derek

Hi there, Ian! Welcome to the forum! When you get time...post some pictures and video of your Trekker. Those things are just super impressive to me. I love watching them fly and hearing the sound that comes from them.

Lee

G'day Ian.
You got a fair few sweet toys there :D. Good radio, nice charger and the Trekker.
You made the right decision on getting the 450 to practice with. 450's can hurt you but 800s will kill in an instant.
Get plenty of stick time on the 450 and the Sim before even thinking about the 800, unless you have a competent pilot to buddy box you.
Welcome to the forum mate :D

Ian R

Hi Westy,
Thanks for the friendly reply and welcome. The actual programmable flybarless system that I will be using on the Trekker (as mentioned) will be a Wookong H stabilization system made by DJI who are largely known these days for developing multicopter units, Naza stabilisation systems and the AceOne stab. system the costs US$3200.00 amongst others. The unit cost me around A$1250.00 and has GPS, compass, etc. Worth checking out.
Cheers, Ian.

Graham Lawrie

Hi Ian, welcome to the forum from Scotland. I am an engineer as well and build better than I fly:) Love building and stripping these helicopters, I will get better:)
This is one of the best and friendliest sites on the planet with a massive amount of experience on here. Please post some pics:)

Ian R

Thanks Derek,
It will be a litle while before I finish the Trekker, especially since I have finally decided to get the T-Rex 450 Plus DFC RTF and start practicing on it and the simulator before going anywhere near the BIG beast.
Ian.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Tony,
Great site by the way.
Ian.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank Lee,
I have taken onboard everything you have said. The 450 is obviously the way to go.
Ian.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Graham,
Love the accent. We are obviously "men at heart". Pics will come at a later date.
Ian.

Ken Jackson

Hello Ian,

I agree with Westy the 450L is going to be very fast and I struggle with seeing it. I love my 500 and gave up fixing my 450. I'm toying with buying a 550 because I want something a little bigger but 600 and up cost too much to repair. Just going into my third year so if I stop crashing maybe I'll go bigger. That 800 is insane.

Ken

Ian R

Hi Ken,
Too late, the 450 is already on its way. I am planning on making a counterweighted arrangement in my factory to prevent the 450 from crashing. If it works I will take some pics. Too much on my plate to build another heli at this stage as the 450 is ready to fly as mentioned above. I believe since the 450 is fully factory tuned, that I will learn a hell of a lot from the factory transmitter settings. Even though the internet and this site in particular has taught me a lot it is still all double dutch. So very complicated.
Cheers,
Ian.

Ken Jackson

Ian,

Well I went out on a limb and said I wasn't going to fix my 450. Well I did sort of. I took all the electronics of if it, bought a new TRex 450 DFC PRO kit minus electronics. I am waiting on a new motor and a gear set for one of the servos. I assembled most if it last night, couldn't sleep. So once I get those parts I will finish my build and get it in the air as soon as the weather breaks,

Good luck,

Ken

- - - Updated - - -

By the way depending on what you bought I've never heard of a factory tuned helicopter. At the very least you generally need to go over every screw and make sure they put loc-tite on all the threads going into metal. All the screws on my new DFC head and tail rotor assemblies were finger tight. I never assume when it comes to helicopter parts, they don't always come ready to fly.

Ian R

Hi Ken,
I am just going off the brochure. It says "Helicopter and transmitter are factory assembled and tuned RTF version". I was incorrect in saying that the factory test fly them. I would still definately check all the screws, etc. You can check it out Part No: RH45E01X. Look forward to hearing how you go with your 450.
Ian

Ian R

At last I have woken up to myself. The 450 arrived today and all I can say is that when seeing it in real life it just looks like a plastic toy. I have sent it back for credit and because there are no 550's available out here I settled for the only 600E available. The one advantage is they use the same batteries as the 800. I'll admit that they are somewhat more expensive than the 550, but it is my only hobby these days.
Ian.

Top Bottom