Hello From Adelaide South Australia

vimy

I found this site quite by accident, looking for information for configuring my Phoenix flight simulator. So impressed by RC-Help, I signed up. I flew RC planes in the 80's and decided to re-enter the hobby again, this time, going all electric. It has changed so much in the 30 years since.

vimy

Hello Lee.

Thank you for the welcome.

I have not set up the sim yet. I'll do this when it's sun up. I'm about to go to sleep, it's 0237 hours.

I was going to buy a trainer, the Apprentice 15s but it's late Autumn and the weather is getting more unstable, so I got the sim instead.

Hopefully by the time Spring rolls around again, I will buy the plane and be able to more or less fly it. I still remember my flying so I stuck with mode 1 when I bought the new TX.

I got the sim without the TX as I have a Spektrum DX9 so it will just plug in to the interface.

HeliDinoRC

Senior Rc-Help Member
Welcome, Vimy! I have the Apprentice 15e waiting on flying weather to roll around again. I get to fly it in Phoenix though! Again, Welcome to the forum!

vimy

Hello HeliDinoRC,

Thanks for the welcome.

Have you found the sim helpful for learning and practicing?

Maybe we can meet at an online airfield in the future.

It's now 0301 hours and I am going to sleep now. I can barely keep awake.

Good Night.

HeliDinoRC

Senior Rc-Help Member
You're welcome! The sim is great for learning and practicing! To get the most out of it, you should setup your aircraft the same way as the real one you are flying. Also, you ahve to treat it seriously like it is "live" flying. I have noticed a big difference in my skills, not that I'm an advanced or expereinced pilot, but I can tell a difference.

I would love to meet up but I only have an iPhone hotspot for my internet connection and have not been able to log into the simulator's servers.

Keep your eye on the forum, people will post when a sim session is being hosted or started.

Good Night, man!

Admiral

Welcome to the forum Vimy welcome back to aeromodlling you will find it much easier and cleaner this time around.

Barge

Welcome aboard Vimy, aaaahhhhh, from the state that has the Barossa Valley that makes the best plonk in the country, a national treasure. I'm sure you will pick up your skills flying again without to much effort, and the technology has jump 10 fold as you have noticed. You'll find the knowledge here second to none and the help comes in droves, who do you follow in the AFL?

Tony

Staff member
Welcome to the forum! Phoenix is a great simulator and I might just create a session on there and RealFlight 6.5 when the forum is down to keep everyone posted as to what is going on. Just depends on how stressful this work is going to be in the morning lol.

:welcome1:

Stambo

Welcome to the forum Vimy.
Nice to see a few Aussies and the odd Kiwi here (odd Kiwi? Yeah that's me, I have been called worse :)).
I don't get in to the online Phoenix sessions very often because of the time difference between here and USA.
If you guys are keen I can easily run a session or I am happy to join yours if I know when it's up. :)

Phoenix is pretty good for freeing up rusty brains when it comes to flying whatever you do.
I usually fly quads and helis but I learnt to fly a plane recently and spent a lot of time on the sim beforehand.
Ok the plane I am flying probably compares to a coax heli but I can do it, and orientation is not an issue.

vimy

Having walked into a model shop for the first time in years, things have indeed changed. No more smell of balsa glue, no more smell of dope and most of the planes are foam. No more Enya engines. I do miss the balsa kits, I suppose the interest in model making like this has gone mostly because of the time constraints and people prefer to fly than build.

The best thing is, the electric systems have improved out of sight compared to the '80s. Smaller, lighter AC type motors with PWM control, replacing the old, heavy DC motors. It also looks cheaper to buy compared to years ago.

- - - Updated - - -

I forgot to say thank you for the welcome Admiral.

Chears

- - - Updated - - -

Hello Barge, thank you for your welcome, I live down the other end of Adelaide, near the McLaren Vale wine district. It to has some excellent wines and a vibrant viticulture. Like the Barossa, there is also local produce including olive oil, cheeses and Ligurian Bee honey only found on Kangaroo Island.

I hope the flight sim will bring back the "mechanical memory" of plane orientation to the transmitter sticks. Glad to hear of the generosity of RC Help's members, I wouldn't have thought otherwise.

My team in the SANFL is Port Adelaide, the REAL ONE. The AFL is the Power, by reluctant default. I am one of the Port supporters who wants our Magpie colours to be our AFL colours, a bit of a sore point.

- - - Updated - - -

Hello Stambo, thanks for your reply. Yes, I hope the flight sim will be as good as the reviews claim it is. It was a toss up between the Real Flight or the Phoenix. The Phoenix had the advantage that it was imported by Model Flight who are Horizon importers. Since I had the DX9 already, it also meant I just had to plug it in. I liked the Phoenix for it's free upgrades too.

Users of flight sims, claim that they have actually saved money by avoiding costly model damage as they have learnt what they needed before taking the model out. That is encouraging.

Thanks for the invitation for a "fly in" online. That will be something to look forward to. What sim plane are you learning on, is the Apprentice 15s with the SAFE mode turned right up? This is the plane I will be learning on. It and a Revolectrix charger will complete the basic set up.

I purchased a DuBro prop balancer as well to prolong the motor and the airframe life by static prop balancing.

- - - Updated - - -

Hello Graham, thank you for your reply. I just searched on Kinlochleven and immediately noticed the topography of land by the accompanying photos. Not only is a beautiful place, but......

Excellent GLIDING SLOPES and plenty of them. Do you do gliding, more specifically, PSS models?

Here's an interesting fact, Kinlochleven was the first town in the world to have all of it's residents connected to mains power when the hydro scheme went online. Courtesy of Wikipedia. Yes, OK, I cheated. :)

Stambo

Users of flight sims, claim that they have actually saved money by avoiding costly model damage as they have learnt what they needed before taking the model out. That is encouraging.

I agree with this 100%

Thanks for the invitation for a "fly in" online. That will be something to look forward to. What sim plane are you learning on, is the Apprentice 15s with the SAFE mode turned right up? This is the plane I will be learning on. It and a Revolectrix charger will complete the basic set up.

I am flying the Hobbyzone Supercub as it's control surfaces most closely resemble the Hobbyzone Champ that I bought.
Rudder, elevator and throttle, no ailerons.
I found the transition from quad to super simple airplane was almost seamless, now I want more.
I am already used to using the rudder, elevator and aileron style flight with my quads so I now feel the Champ may have been too small a step.
Also probably too small plane. It needs very low or no wind to fly and is so easy.
As yet the only damage has been due to my over confidence, and also putting the tx in the hands of my 5yo.
He was doing fine until I got interrupted and took my eyes off the plane.
By the time I found it again he had parked it in a tree. :)

Look forward to flying online with you at some stage. :)

Graham Lawrie

LOL correct massive hydro dam one of the largest in Europe in its day:)

Not tried gliders yet, but nearly bought a kit in Asda for £10:)
Good research. Some great places to fly:)

Top Bottom