Hello from a Newb to RC Planes

Maverick1

My name is Will. I live in Western Massachusetts in the US.
I'm not experienced what so ever in the hobby as of yet, but I've already been through a couple of things that I didn't expect.

This Friday my second plane will arrive. It's a Hobby Zone Super Cub LP BNF & I'll be flying it with a DX6i DSMX 6-Channel Transmitter Only Mode 2 by Spektrum (SPMR6610).
I'm told that this is the best place to start out if your not a member of a club and/or you don't have someone who can teach you. Obviously, I've also looked into a couple of SIMS.
I opted for the Clearview simulator and so far it's been great!

I'm motivated to learn as much as I can about the hobby both in flight skills but also the hardware. There seems to be a TON of nomenclature to learn and how parts interact with one another within the plane itself. Speed controllers, BNF, duel rates, open stock, mix rates... Holy Hell! Well, I'll get there!

I'm looking forward to this weekend & actually having enough hours under my belt with the simulator to have the confidence to actually get the Super Cub into the air!

Will

Derek

Welcome to the site, Will! "Holy Hell!!!" is right buddy, lol. Ive only been flying planes and heli's for a year now and I'm still just blown away with all that is involved with this hobby. Quite a bit of it is common sense, some of it is learned by trial and error, and the rest of my troubles are usually brought to this website and I scream for help, lol. The good thing is this...there are so many people on this site that are very knowledgeable and helpful. I still have yet to find an issue that hasn't been resolved here. The DX6i is a great radio. I have the same one and it's worked out very well for me.

Good luck buddy!

Oh...one more thing....there are alot of people on this site, myself included of course, that really enjoy seeing pictures and video of planes, heli's, cars, trucks...whatever RC that you may have. If you have time...take a few pics of your planes and post them up. When you get time to fly...take your video cam and record your flight. Upload the video to Youtube, then copy and paste the link in a thread on this site. We love pics and videos!!!

Maverick1

Good times! Thanks for the encouragement!!! I'm stoked that I got into the hobby & I'm more than sure I'll have plenty of questions as time goes on.

Once I get the plane this Friday, I'll pull out the camera & do just that! I'll have to figure out which one of my buddies had a camcorder that can record the flight for me.
I've got some more reading to do on programming that 6I. They say it isn't all that bad, but if you don't know what your doing... lol

Oo-Rah!!

Derek

Yeah...setting up the DX6i, at first, was a bit intimidating to me, too....but once ya get messing with it more and more...things just start making sense. However, I can promise you that there will be at least one thing that will come up and you'll just start scratchin' your head. When that exact moment comes...log in to this forum...scroll down to "Transmitters" then scroll down to "Spektrum" and post your question(s). We'll get ya straightened out!!!

No worries!!!

Tony

Staff member
As with the spektrum section in teh forum, I have some videos on the DX6i that may help you out. As well as a complete setup video for a 6ch heli. They are boring as hell (my first videos ever) but they seem to have helped many people out there. Just click on articles at the top of the forum, on the left side, scroll down to DX6i. There will be more options after you click it, so look through it and watch all fo the videos. Well, if your not setting up a heli, I probably wouldn't suggest the hour long heli setup video lol.

No matter how small the question, post it up. We will always be here to help you out.

:welcome1:

Maverick1

AWESOME!! I just got the plane & controller in today. Tonight is reading about the controller. Tomorrow is the plane.

Then it's game time!

Thanks for all the encouragement!

Maverick1

Once I get the plane built, I'll do just that!

It'll be good to have some pictures of what the beast is supposed to look like before I crash it! lol

Lee

Welcome to the site Will. I started by myself too with helis two years ago. Having nobody to tell me what to do was hard, but i spent a month on the sim before my first heli arrived and spent every night trawling the internet for advice. that part is covered right here on the forum. Any thing you need to know we can help.
When my heli arrived and was built, i flew with some confidence on the first flight after all the sim practice. So use the sim until you can happily fly around and land without issue, then the real thing should be a walk in the park. If you go into your first real flight with feelings of trepidation, try to fly on the sim just before hand to give your fingers a warm up.
Good luck.
Lee

Top Bottom