Hello all From the West Coast of Canada (Maple Ridge,BC)

RedDevil51

Just getting back into the hobby after an almost 15 year break. I am building the RCHelp trainer as we speak and have the fuse built.Starting the wing today but am unsure how to join the wing halves with the dihedral. Could wait for the wing build video i guess but if you have a simple answer that would be great

Tony

Staff member
:welcome1:

Welcome to the forum RD. As for the wing, when you glue each sheet of the foamboard on the wing, make sure to line up the inside and front side of each piece so they are even. Once the glue has set, you should have a very straight edge to glue the wing halves together. If you want to put some dihedral in the wing, take a sharp knife and trim about a 3º angle to the inside of each wing and glue together. You are looking for a total of 7º of dihedral. I have built the wing and should have the video up today. The main thing is don't skimp on the glue here, you need it strong. I have no spars in my origional wing and it has never come apart. Use wax paper under the wing to protect the table and use a popcicle stick to spread the glue on the top of the wing to cover the seam. When you have one half of the wing laying flat on the table, the other side of the wing should be 3" above the table at the tip.

Let me know if this helps. I will try to get the wing video up later today, then I will have to shoot more video on the rest of the build process.

RedDevil51

:welcome1:

Welcome to the forum RD. As for the wing, when you glue each sheet of the foamboard on the wing, make sure to line up the inside and front side of each piece so they are even. Once the glue has set, you should have a very straight edge to glue the wing halves together. If you want to put some dihedral in the wing, take a sharp knife and trim about a 3º angle to the inside of each wing and glue together. You are looking for a total of 7º of dihedral. I have built the wing and should have the video up today. The main thing is don't skimp on the glue here, you need it strong. I have no spars in my origional wing and it has never come apart. Use wax paper under the wing to protect the table and use a popcicle stick to spread the glue on the top of the wing to cover the seam. When you have one half of the wing laying flat on the table, the other side of the wing should be 3" above the table at the tip.

Let me know if this helps. I will try to get the wing video up later today, then I will have to shoot more video on the rest of the build process.

Thanks for the update. will wait for your vid to glue wing halves together, but i am concerned that there may not be enough glue strength to stop the wing from folding under high Gs. I might make an 1/8" plywood spar and insert it at the 1/3 from leading edge point for insurance. Thanks again

Mike

Tony

Staff member
On my wing, I have no spar at all, just layered foam board and hot glue. I will go into detail of where to put the spars if you want to use them. However my program is giving me fits so it's taking a little longer to produce this video. But I'm working on it now. I'm doing the second proof on the video, then once that is done, I will have to work my magic and put the other parts in it that are not showing right now. But I will get there. Just remember if you use a single piece spar, you will not be able to use any dihedral.

Oh, and this plane is made as a trainer, I don't think it knows anything about high G's lmao. But I will get it uploaded. For now, if you are worried about strength, check out the maiden flight of this plane. I was sure the wing would fold hahaha.

Rc-Help - Rc-Help Trainer Maiden Flight

Tony

Staff member
The video is rendering now then I will upload it. I will also be starting on the rest of the videos for the Build series. But first, I have to color this thing up hehe. That is still a secret!

Tony

Staff member
In all honesty, I don't even know everything about this trim scheme yet lol. Still designing it. But should look great in the air!

Top Bottom