Helis rudder odd behavior in hurricane/funels

Doum066

Greetings guys,

I'm experiencing an odd behavior for a while in Phoenix, i never decided to post, but now this bug is killing me, i've been training all my orientations for a while now, and not always but more likely all the time (exept each time i try to record the problem with FRAPS, it never happens, darn Murphy's Law) when i do tail down funnels/huricane once in a while or often the tails behave as if i'm having a tail strike on the ground, while being far enough from the ground not to be it, it behaves as if the nose keeps turning and for a sec the tail stop following, the same behavior as if the ground would stop the tail as it turns... gets me nervous, ist it a sim prob or my DX8... when i turn the controller view on, nothing show odd stick behavior, so no odd rudder input... any of you guys ever had this problem? Hard to explain, and i've been trying to record it for about 15 minutes and it never did :S

pvolcko

This is the model's tail setup not being able to keep up with the rate of "roll" and speed in your funnel. Real life helis will do this too. Try doing it slower or with less collective. Heavy collective use and moving very fast, particularly in an ail loop/slide in the left direction will stress the tail heavily.

Tony

Staff member
that is caused by the helicopter not having enough tail authority. It's built into each model. Teh only thing you can do is slow the funnels down. If you want to go fast, then practice with teh Align 700. You can get going pretty quickly with that one.

Lee

Is it only during funnels?
I had the same thing with my DX8 on Heli-X sim. I would be hovering,then it would suddenly give a random tail jerk to one side.
I also checked the radio monitor, but nothing untoward there.
On Phoenix, it doesn't do it for me.
Does it do it on other models?
Have you tried recalibrating the TX to the sim?

Doum066

that is caused by the helicopter not having enough tail authority. It's built into each model. Teh only thing you can do is slow the funnels down. If you want to go fast, then practice with teh Align 700. You can get going pretty quickly with that one.

That's what i thought at first, but it seems to alaqys be doing it almost the same place, always in the circle closest to where i stand (12 o'clock being away from me and 6 o'clock closest to me) and it always seems to be at mostly 6 o'clock position, that what makes it weird.

Tony

Staff member
Without a video, I'm not sure. Iknow that this has happened to me, adn it was just from going too fast.

Doum066

Is it only during funnels?
I had the same thing with my DX8 on Heli-X sim. I would be hovering,then it would suddenly give a random tail jerk to one side.
I also checked the radio monitor, but nothing untoward there.
On Phoenix, it doesn't do it for me.
Does it do it on other models?
Have you tried recalibrating the TX to the sim?

Yep i've been doing some test ont he DX8 Monitor and nothing seems anormal, i'Ve been jerking the sticks from side to side ec. and nothing odd. It seems to be doing it more with some models than others, odd thing is, when it started doing it was with the Whiplash 90, and it started all of a sudden, then i tried with some model and some does it more some less, i even trtied deleting my customed model try it out with the default setting, and same thing. Seemed to be some models i've been using a lot started doing it. I recalibrated lots of time, deleted model in my TX, create a new one.. only thing i haven't tried, deleting the sim and reinstalling, but the updates take so long to download when installing from CD thats makes me not doing it. I will try tonight when i get home recording it, maybe this time it will do it as i record, or i'll simply use the whiplash which makes it more.... But as tony and Pvolcko said, it might be the tail issue.. i'll try doing it fast then slow and do tests..

- - - Updated - - -

Without a video, I'm not sure. Iknow that this has happened to me, adn it was just from going too fast.

I was training with the 700 and i thing it started doing it, but i'll do more test tonight... in real life i gues you would raise the gain?

Tony

Staff member
In real life you would just slow the funnel. There is only so much speed that the tail can keep up with. Once you go past that speed, the tail will weathervane and fall behind the helicopter.

Doum066

In real life you would just slow the funnel. There is only so much speed that the tail can keep up with. Once you go past that speed, the tail will weathervane and fall behind the helicopter.

Thanks tony, i'll try it out later. But unless i'm mistaken it was also doing it slow, but i won't put my hands on fire for sure for it, i'll let you guys know.

Doum066

Well, it was indeed as Tony said, it does happens when i give in to much collective or ailleron, the T-Rex 550e 3G is more sensitive to it, while the T-Rex 700E 3G tail is more able to keep up the pace... Since last online session i was in with Tony, i started to try/training Funels/Hurricane figure 8's.... damn this is a hard stuff to start training for.. but after a few days, it's now starting to look like something. :) Easier to train with the 700 since tail is keeping up, and the 550 needs more mangement. :) A few days ago i would have never thought i'd be able to do these... but finally now i can morph/transition the tail down upright CCW funnels to the tail down inverted CW hurricane, it's not always looking like figure 8's, but it's getting somewhere at least now. Thanks to Tony for it cue and hints. :)

Doum066

Well guys as what concerned this post, i had a hard time with most heli, only a few had their tails to keep up, and mainly all old models, specialy with FB... but seems in the newly downloaded Phoenix 5, tails seems to keep up :p the few minutes i tried, hurricanes was way much more easier to do with the T-Rex 550e 3G, with settings full 100% advanced as i had in previous version.... now my question is.. how will it feel in R/L next season when i try those directions... feel easier as v5 or v4 :p I'm still a bit loss int heir new menu though :)

Top Bottom