General Helicopter vs kite who shall win?

xokia

I am down in Mira Flores Peru on vacation and I took my Trex 450 with me. We went to a park near a beach here and I started tossing the heli around. I guess at some point I snagged a kite and chopped his string. Luckily for me I the heli won the battle and I was able to land safely.

AD39D027-41D1-4A25-BC36-602F23128539-4254-0000021E203D17A3_zps759eff28.jpg

49D0D5E1-7460-4EAB-88DC-2266A3DB90B7-4254-0000021E016D2227_zps2095ebfc.jpg

C21C8676-E393-4FF8-B71E-663B8EA79433-4254-0000021E182D8F53_zpsbd544e10.jpg

pvolcko

Wow. Reminds me of the rats nest the forms if you get backlash on an open fishing reel. :)

Glad you were able to get it down in one piece!

xokia

Wow! I am really surprised that you got the heli down!

What happened to the kite?
No Clue the kite must have been pretty high up because I was flying pretty high. The string is so small you could bearly see it dangling from the bottom of the heli. I just by chance noticed the string. Once I saw it I started bringing the heli down. I caught the heli in my hand and some guy came up with a ball of string in his hand still attached to my heli. He was nice enought not to yank my helicopter out of the sky so I paid him for his kite (10 soles about $4) and everyone left happy.

The helicopter attracted a large crowd of people and the kids seemed to enjoy it. I did find a hobby shop down here that had a couple helicopters but they looked really old. from what I could tell it was a flybarred trex 600 with wooden blades.

Here is a video of the first couple days I was here I attached a small camera and flew around a little bit. This is in Callo Peru
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsrKVrfIN3U

Last edited:

EyeStation

Nice flyin' there Xokia. I hope to have the confidence to fly in an area like that someday. I would have hit the lines, then plopped in front of an oncoming truck.

xokia

This is the park I was flying at when I got tangled with the kite. Unfortunately my camera cut out before the incident
These guys fly their kites really high up and far out so not sure where I gut stuck in the kite.
peru park p - YouTube

pvolcko

Dude, you flew with that many people around? Accidents don't just come from pilot error, they come from mechanical and electrical failure, too. Tx/Rx drop outs. I realize you kept it up high for a lot of your more "aggressive" flying (interesting perspective on tic-tocs in that second flight segment), but still... This seems to be an example of what not to do.

I'm sorry if I'm being a dick, but gotta call it like I see it in this case.

Lee

It looks like a nice area.
I have to agree with Paul though. That was not the safest place to fly. You are very lucky the tangled line incident didn't end with someone getting a helicopter in the head.
It doesn't look like you have too many options for open spaces without people around there, but please take care. I would have flown it over the sea in the second video. At least it would only be a loss of heli and not a life if something went wrong.

Stambo

Dude, you flew with that many people around? Accidents don't just come from pilot error, they come from mechanical and electrical failure, too. Tx/Rx drop outs. I realize you kept it up high for a lot of your more "aggressive" flying (interesting perspective on tic-tocs in that second flight segment), but still... This seems to be an example of what not to do.

I'm sorry if I'm being a dick, but gotta call it like I see it in this case.

I have to agree with this, you may have the utmost confidence in yourself and your gear but it is still made up of mechanical, electrical and electronic parts, any of which could fail at any time.

If I am flying somewhere the public has access to and someone turns up to watch I start throwing the small stuff around.
At least if someone gets hit by a V959 it's just gonna hurt a little.

xokia

The ocean is a cliff face which = high winds and tons of para gliders. I flew in the corner of the park the only people in that corner when we got there were people that I had come with which was about 15 people. Since they have nothing like this down there it attracted an audience like flies on poop. The video was my last 2 packs before we left. The intention was to just film the park which is why it started out just hovering around. Then I got a couple request from some of the people and a couple police officers on what it can do. Most of the stuff was pretty basic stuff. A piro isn't any more complicated then hovering looks aggressive but its not, which is why that is the majority of what i was doing. Neither is inverted flight.

This is Peru so the option of tossing smaller stuff around wasn't there. It's the only heli I brought on the trip. And there were no kites here. Is wasn't until I went towards that cliff that I got tangled in the kite. That cliff is probably a 1000 ft drop. The kites stick to where the wind goes straight up and a cliff face is where that happens. So the kite incident would have resulted in the heli at the bottom of the cliff.

Last edited:
Top Bottom