gyro rate mode

I think this is going to be the last problem that i will need help with on my rogue500.Thanks to Tony i got 90% of my heli configured and setup.There is one more problem that i noticed yesterday after double checking all the settings,and that is the "rate" mode on the gyro/rudder.All other settings are dead on( til i get it in the air and do the fine tuning)Aielerons are working the write way, elevator is working the right way, heading hold is working the right way,swashplate is dead on.It is the rate mode for the gyro/rudder.
As it is in heading hold mode the rudder is in the middle where it is suppose to be.Turn rudder right and the slider goes left and the blades pitch the way it is suppose to.When i release the rudder it goes back to the center like it is suppose to.I then switch it to "rate" mode and the slider moves all the way to the right, then get a clicking sound.The sound i know it is the arm has moved ALL the way(travel) to max and wants to go farther,but servo is saying i cant move anymore
Now how do i fix this without changing the settings for heading hold?

Tony

Staff member
I think you are getting Rate and HH mode mixed up. HH mode will drift when it's on the ground, and rate will always center when you let go of the rudder stick. You always want to fly in HH mode. But, that slight drift in HH mode is normal for the servo. It's saying that it has a heading it needs to get to, but it's not moving and it's going to keep putting input until it gets there. One trick I learned just today to keep it centered in HH mode for testing is to flip it to rate mode, and back to HH. I have not tested to see if this actually works, but it should.

Just remember, in your gyro settings in the TX, 0-49 is rate and 51-100 is HH mode. 50 is like there is not a gyro on the heli. The farther you get from 50, the more throw the gyro is going to give the servo. Too much and you will get a bad wag in the tail. I start out at 65% when I'm building a new heli.

It also sounds like you need to go into your travel adjustment and lower the throw on the rudder. If you have a "Limit" pot on the gyro, use that. If there is a program in the gyro to limit the endpoints (MEMS Gyros only), use that. Otherwise, just reduce the throw in the Tx. In fact, any piezoelectric gyro you can use the Tx to limit the throw.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info Tony, I will give it a try,probably after I get home from work tomorrow.Everything you said makes sense.Knowing the way that i'am i will more and likely keep it in hh mode,but I am the type of person if there is a way to make ALL of it work right i want it that way.I will more and likely not be flying it till next week.I'am going to go to the local hobby store on saturday and buy some cheap main blades to use til i get it flying JUST right.If i DO get a blade strick,I'd rather the cheap blades break then the $50 carbon fiber one's.The first thing i will try is the setting 0 -49 rate setting and find the right set,if that fails i will try the other options

Again thanks Tony YOUR THE MAN!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Top Bottom