500 Gyro installation.

Tony

Staff member
Can you? Yes. Should you, or do I suggest you do? NO! That is a cheap POS gyro and I would not put that on a 250. You can find used GP790, GP780 gyros all over the place for little to nothing. I don't usually post links to other forums, but don't know of anyone on here that has one. Check it out. $40 is a great price.

Align GP780 Gyro and 500 size esc for sale - HeliFreak

rchelipilot

Thanks Tony.
I found one of these in my parts box from years ago that has not been opened. And the 500 in the picture has an old gyro
on it that I cant get adjusted right.

Stan

Tony

Staff member
I would still opt for a proven gyro like the Align gyros. Hell, if you want to put a FBL head on it, I may be selling a 3GX to help pay for another helicopter.

Tony

Staff member
Well, the first thing is first, you must get a FBL head. In all honesty, after dealing with the DFC on a 600 and a 450, I would get the "V2" head with the swash drivers. You should be able to find these pretty cheap. As for my 3GX, I'm still thinking about it, but if I do sell it, it will be $75 with version 3.1 installed in it. It will only include the gyro and the dongle, not the wires for a 6ch Tx since I need to do some videos with it. But, got to get a 6ch Tx first lol.

Tony

Staff member
Since you have a DX8, then you can just run Satellite Rx's, so you wouldn't need the wires anyway. But no, the only one that is a Rx and gyro in one is the AR7200BX, and I'm not selling that lmao. Not yet anyway.

rchelipilot

Ok, I'll see if I can find a head somewhere. Seems like I looked before with no luck. I'll look some more.
Thanks Tony.

Stan

rchelipilot

Will only be used for scale flying so not much stress on the blades.
That one looks good.
I will need another shaft?
It says direct bolt on so maybe not.

Or am I thinking DFC is the one that needs a shorter shaft.

Tony

Staff member
I'm pretty sure you will need a new FBL shaft. There should be 3 different lengths, FB, FBL, and DFC. Progressively getting shorter.

rchelipilot

OK, Thanks.
I'm going to do some research while you think about letting you 3GX go.
I've been wanting to go FBL for a while. Just been waiting for a reason(opportunity) to do it.
This would be a good heli to get to know the way these work before putting one on my
500 for doing loops and rolls and learning inverted hovering...lol.
Thanks again Tony.

Stan

Top Bottom