Great Planes Edge 540T

Tony

Staff member
Here is it guys, the finished and ready to fly Edge 540. This has to be the most exciting thing I have done in Rc yet. I have never had a plane this big, or this light, or with this much power. If it stays in the air, it will prove to be a great plane, and the learning curve will never end. That is one of the reasons I purchased this one. If I get tired of just flying, I can start doing stunts. If stunts get boring, then I can start flying IMAC patterns. Who knows, I may get good enough to actually compete with it (yeah right...).

But here she is in all her glory. There are a few mistakes on it, such as using superglue on the backing plates for the control horns. Superglue and monokote do not go together lol. oh well, lesson learned. After a while of flying this one, I already have a plan to recover it to look like the plane in my avatar. Which is flown by Melissa Pemberton by the way, and yes, it's an Edge 540 Made right here in Guthrie Oklahoma.

So, grab some :popcorn: and enjoy.

Last edited:

zapster

Nice review and description of your new plane Tony.I especially like the magic trick where you point out the battery and make your arm disappear,how did you do that ?

Keith

Looking good Ynot backwards.... With the Pull/Pull setup I prefer to use two horns, one each side with nuts and bolts... Makes it really secure and has good leverage...

Good luck with the maiden Tony....

Tony

Staff member
Thanks guys. Tommy, the 808HD is overheating and I'm not sure if it will even capture the whole flight. i will try it, but may not get anything. But, I will have the glasses for sure, but if I can find a camera person, I will record it with my good camera. I actually need to build my mount in the canopy for the 808HD. Not sure if I want it looking out the front, or to one of the sides though. Looking back is out of the question though. cause I'm not going to mount it to the outside of the plane. Any ideas? Maybe I will do some more taxi tests with the camera in the plane. Looking out the front though it will be facing up since it's a tail dragger.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Very nice job Tony! The mods look clean and stock looking. If you put your camera in side the cockpit, leave room for a pilot lol. Anyways I wish I could be there for the maiden flight!

Tony

Staff member
That would be one long ass drive just to see a crash lmao. But, I don't think I'm going to put a pilot in this one. It will add weight to the plane that is not needed. I may however paint the canopy black so that you can't see inside. Not sure yet.

I"m still not sure on the camera though. I do not want it mounted to the outside of the plane, and in the cockpit, it will be distorted cause the canopy is not optical quality and has waves in it. There may not be an onboard shot with this one sadly.

PYNES1664

Canopy ejection

Hey Tony,
Nice looking plane mate!

Just watched the vid of the canopy ejection on utube, the guy was pretty good/lucky to get that down in one piece with the drag! KUDOS due.

As an aside I don't mean this to sound patronising in any way but did you remember to cut ion a vent reawards on the bottom of the fus to stop the high pressure buildup in the fus?

Iv'e been caught like this before whilst trying to get a plane ready for a maiden, saying that however those magnet retainers are great if your'e gonna fly sedate but I don't trust them anymore for anything more than basic aerobatics to 3D style flying - IMHO i use and trust these implicitly:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__9218__Canopy_Lock_30x8mm_10pcs_bag_.html

take care!

PS. please don't take offence if you know all this stuff already.

Rich

Tony

Staff member
No offense taken at all Rich, there are two holes in the bottom of the fuse to let air out so that was not the issue, or shouldn't be the issue anyway lol. I think the tail was snapped after the turn, and it was just enough to jar the canopy loose. No damage other than losing one of the spars that had two magnets in it.

I have since put two flights on this plane, both times I have put tape on the canopy, and both times didn't have a single problem. I think I will just stick with the tape method until I'm ready to recover the plane. Then, I will install a latch system to keep it on. Like the ones that you listed.

PYNES1664

ok mate, I'm always *worried* about giving advice on furums in writing, it can so often be misconstrued and can very easily cause offence as considered to be 'taking the piss' (is that a british ism??? )
elastic band and a hook is also an easy, light method if your not ready for canopy hatches..lol, have used VERY effectively in the past.

cheers bud.

Rich

Tony

Staff member
Nah, on this forum we are all pretty understanding. It's all about helping each other out. I would rather something be repeated a thousand times, than never to be said. Never feel like you can't say something here that could help someone out.

Derek

Here is it guys, the finished and ready to fly Edge 540. This has to be the most exciting thing I have done in Rc yet. I have never had a plane this big, or this light, or with this much power. If it stays in the air, it will prove to be a great plane, and the learning curve will never end. That is one of the reasons I purchased this one. If I get tired of just flying, I can start doing stunts. If stunts get boring, then I can start flying IMAC patterns. Who knows, I may get good enough to actually compete with it (yeah right...).

But here she is in all her glory. There are a few mistakes on it, such as using superglue on the backing plates for the control horns. Superglue and monokote do not go together lol. oh well, lesson learned. After a while of flying this one, I already have a plan to recover it to look like the plane in my avatar. Which is flown by Melissa Pemberton by the way, and yes, it's an Edge 540 Made right here in Guthrie Oklahoma.

So, grab some :popcorn: and enjoy.

Thanks for sharing this video with me, Tony! I think this is exactly what I'm looking for. All in due time though, lol. I've got other projects to get done first.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tony

Staff member
If there is anything you need to know about this plane, just let me know. I can grab it anytime I'm home and give you the info you need.

Top Bottom