FBL Gyro GP780 and GP790.....Differences???

Derek

I have the GP780 Head Lock Gyro on my Trex 500, currently. I forget who it was that said this, but someone said that they like the GP790 Head Lock Gyro. After looking at the Align website, I see that the GP780 is $177.98 and the GP790 is $98.99.

Does anyone have experience with both gyros that they could share? I'm curious.

Tony

Staff member
Ask and thou shall receive.

GP780 Specifications:
●Operating Voltage: DC 4.5~8.4V
●Current Consumption: <80mA @ 4.8V
●Angular Detection Speed: 500 degrees/sec
●Operating Humidity: -20℃~65℃
●RoHS certification.
●Operating Humidity: 0%~95%
●Size: 26.2x25.2x8.7mm
●Weight: 7.5g

The older GP780 specs
●Operating Voltage: DC 4.5~7V
●Current Consumption: <80mA @ 4.8V
●Angular Detection Speed: 500 degrees/sec
●Operating Humidity: 0℃~65℃
●RoHS certification.
●Operating Humidity: 0%~95%
●Size:26x25x11mm
●Weight: 14g

As you can see, the 790 allows for higher voltage, is a bit thinner and can withstand a little colder temps, although you won't be flying in 0 let alone -20c hahaha. But the biggest difference is the electronics. The GP780 uses Silicon Micro Machines (SMM) sensor but this uses the MEMS sensor. MEMS is a better sensor and is more stable. Got a bill handy? lmao.

Derek

Well, I was just curious as to why the 790 sounds better when the 780 is almost twice as much. Curious, isn't it???

Tony

Staff member
You should look into the Quark if you are thinking about a new gyro. I love Align, but Quark has them beat.

Derek

ahhh, so we are going from a bill to a bill and a half, lol. Awesome!!! ha ha ha

Derek

Yep....that's for sure. I will keep that Quark in mind. However, if/when (most likely "when") I go flybarless, the 7200 would actually replace my current 780, right?

Tony

Staff member
Well, if you are going flybarless, you will go with the 3GX, AR7200BX or IKON. The 7200 is just a Rx.

Derek

sorry Tony....the AR7200BX is what I was meaning.....just got lazy with the keyboard, lol

I dont know much about the 3GX. Seems that people are having difficulties with this setup. The IKON...well....I dont know much about this one, either, lol

Tony

Staff member
Here are the Pro's and Con's of each.

3GX, cheapest of all of them. 3.0 is crap, but 3.1 is great. Must have a computer to do most of the setups beyond the basic setups, but you can fly quite well with teh basic setups.

AR7200BX, No computer needed. All setup is done on the gyro and with your Tx. Can get confusing, but following the instructions can get you in the air pretty quickly. I watched as Matt set his up and I think it took about an hour the first time. Only issue was the gyro was reversed as seen on the video when he stripped the tail gear.

IKON, this is the best of the best. You are just now starting to do your orientation and soon, you will flip that bird inverted for the first time. This gyro has self leveling and all you have to do is flip a switch and it will flip it right side up and all you have to do is add collective to keep it in the air. You need a computer to set this gyro up.

Then there are the APS systems. We are talking about >$500, but use GPS and are a true hands off system. I'm sure you don't want to go that far though lol.

Derek

hmmmm, all of this crap and a baby on the way??? Yep...i'm gonna be broke....but I'll have some cool toys....and a baby, too, lol.

Tony

Staff member
Dude, just wait until tax time! See, she got pregnant a couple months ago. That means she will be pregnant for more than 6 months when you file taxes. Everythign with a kid is a writeoff. Then there is EIC and CTC. I won't say how much we get for our returns, but it's enough to make us pretty happy. If you want info, you got my number. Let's just say, you could order that turbine heli that you want so bad hehehe.

Derek

lmao...that turbine heli is so impractical for me. It's bad enough that I'm making this impractical "Albatross." I think the wife would, for the first time, be pissed at me. Although...depending on the $$$ on the return....I see a 600 heli...and yes, it will be electric. Sorry Tony, lol.

Tony

Staff member
I tried to go electric on this one, but it didn't happen. However, I'm sure this one will go on the wall some day for an electric 12s setup. Just not sure what the frame will be though lol.

And yeah, I can see you getting bitch slapped with a stroller if you get a turbine heli lmao.

Top Bottom