600 Governor mode and pitch curves

Rick S.

Hi All,

I'm just finishing up my 600 DFC pro and have elected to run the ESC in Governor mode instead of end point. If you have advice on either mode it would be appreciated. Before I spool this puppy up for the first time with the blades on her:hopelessness: I am wondering if you still set the recommended pitch setings for IU-1, IU-2 and normal that Align has in the manual or keep the pitch settings where they are at now which is 11+ to 11- ?

Thanks!!

pvolcko

I'd setup a normal pitch curve that is roughly 40%-45%-50%-75%-100% and leave IU1 and 2 at linear curve of 0-25-50-75-100. Normal mode will not be good for inverted hovering or other inverted maneuvers, but it will be good for hovering, forward flight, and even some beginning aerobatics (loops) since you are using a governor mode on the ESC. And make sure your normal, IU1 and IU2 throttle curves are set as recommended by the manufacturer for governor mode, they should be flat horizontal lines the levels of which should be specified by the manual or the setup of the ESC.

Rick S.

Thanks Paul!

I was thinking that was the best approach. My throttle curves are flat with the exception of normal where point 1 is zero then rises and holds at 30 for the other 4 points and IU 1 & IU 2 are flat all the way and set as per Castles software programming. I'm a normal mode flying guy at least with heli's, fixed wing another story, my eyes to brain to thumb serial bus has slowed over the years so hard 3D is not my mission. BTW I love the futaba S-bus system if any of you are pondering jumping to that system I highly recommend it.

Tony

Staff member
At 30? That is a very low head speed. Unless that is what the ESC manual states to put it at that, I would put that at atleast 65%. That is the lowest I would put in IMO. But, it's all going to depend on your manual for the ESC.

pvolcko

30 makes sense if you are using the Set RPM mode (where you setup a number headspeed RPM in the CC setup software for the three modes). In that case normal is 30, IU1 is 70 and IU2 is 100.

Personally I use 30 flat for normal, no 0 dip in the first point. Slow spool up on these ESCs is very effective and by having a total flat 30 for normal mode I can so some loops and stationary maneuvers in normal mode without risk of the throttle cutting out entirely due to low pitch stick position. I just use Throttle Hold switch when plugging in and setting up before flight and when powering down after flight. Also trains you to hit TH if you are going into the dirt, instead of chopping throttle/collective down to low position.

Rick S.

Hi Tony,

Yeah that was my first thought too. When you program the ESC using the Castle link software feeding it tons of info from number of motor poles, battery size etc. When finished inputting this info it gives you the throttle curve to set based on the RPM you are looking for. I used Aligns recommendations for head speed RPM IIRC for normal which is 2000, IU 1 is 2100 and IU2 2245. In normal mode it spools up nicely and sure enough the head was putting out 2000 RPM. This was without blades attached. Based on what I know about governor mode, the ESC will work to maintain that head speed up to the point it can't due to the load being higher than the system is capable of providing. I'll try the 30 flat as well Paul. You mean these things hit the dirt? I never thought about that because my kness are shaking to hard to think about anything else!

xokia

At 30? That is a very low head speed. Unless that is what the ESC manual states to put it at that, I would put that at atleast 65%. That is the lowest I would put in IMO. But, it's all going to depend on your manual for the ESC.
Yea normal mode is 30% for governed mode in CC ESCs it works fine it's not intended to do 3D though. For that you should be ID1 which is 70%

pvolcko

Depending on your setup Normal/30% mode may be fine for 3D. IT all depends on your head speed setup in the ESC software and your TX setup for pitch curves. No reason one couldn't setup Normal/30% mode for their high head speed setting in the ESC and put a full linear pitch curve on it. :)

Island Breeze

Senior Rc-Help Member
It seems Rick doesn't care for 3D and having a set RPM with 30% straight on normal is a new learning curve for take off's and landings. Why don't you just do fixed end points with a linear curve.

Rick S.

Well I had my foirst hover this past weekend and I'm not sure I like the governor approach just yet. It felt more like I had flipped the IU 1 switch than the normal mode I was in. Rotor came up to speed and I advance the collective and she jumped right of the ground. I was glad everythhing seemed in trim, no tail rotor problems but OMG! I have some pretty good stick time with my 450 but I gotta tell you, the big heli's are downright scary! I've decided to go with the end point setup and see what happens. Hopefully the bruises on the inside of my kness from knocking will heal by the weekend. I'm glad I went to the park to do it instead of my living room:no:

Tony

Staff member
Those bruises never heal lmao. It's the classic mark of an Rc Helicopter Pilot lol.

cml001

They say if ur not shake'n ur not fly'n! At least it was ur knees... I've had my hands shake'n so bad I could hardly land the bird... Lol... Do all of us get the shakes?

Island Breeze

Senior Rc-Help Member
LMAO! I remember my first 500 heli, someone told me to lower my tail gain cause it was shakin during bank turns. Well it sure wasent my gain, it was my left thumb shakin like crazy. but the shakes do go away with more air time you get.

Westy

LEGEND
They say if ur not shake'n ur not fly'n! At least it was ur knees... I've had my hands shake'n so bad I could hardly land the bird... Lol... Do all of us get the shakes?

Absolutely .... I just got back from y first Gobby FLight in ages ..... think I will change the ESC to Gov mode though ..... as not happy with the RPM drop when doing basic 3d stuff..... My hands have just stopped shaking enough to Type LMAO ... what a rush ... heart pumping ... I love the big birds! ..... may have snapped up a deal for a brand new Compass 7HV V2 Ultimate NIB with everything but bats and Sats to fly it!

Vid of my flight is rendering and uploading as I speak ....

Top Bottom