Got in the air near the end.

murankar

Staff member
I was so scared during this. Was not sure of what to expect from this first "flight". Well moving around on the ground. I think my swash might need better leveling not sure. I know it will drift left naturally, but I think it is going left way to much. I will look at it in a bit to check if it is level.

[video=youtube_share;-lAN14zfMIk]http://youtu.be/-lAN14zfMIk[/video]

murankar

Staff member
I made those adjustments, shortened the servo rod and re leveled the swash. It seems to have helped out. I do how ever still have some trimming on the rudder I think I can correct. I just need to shorten the rod some more. I giving up for the night, it's getting below freezing and I keep breaking zip ties on the training gear. Ruder trim is about a quarter of the way to the right of center, the aileron is trimmed about the same and my pitch is trimmed just over center. Gyro gain is set at hh 55% (adjusted from 65%) and rate is 35% (have not flown rate yet), still have some wag I hope to get video of it tomorrow. towards the middle of the video I have the gyro set at hh 55%. My rudder end points are still at 100% both ways. Feel free to make suggestions and criticisms as needed.

Lee

Well done mate keep at it. Try to spool up a little slower to stop the heli spinning at the start. Just give the minimum stick input then let the blades catch up before adding more.

heli-maniac

that training gear will brake more than sip ties the rods are way to stiff and the hard plastic balls suck i use them at first but learned real quick on how bad they are
if im right thats the cheep 2.99 set from Exheli i would get a better set
i got a nice set of ebay for 7.99 they have way more flex to the rods and foam balls
anyway looks like your getting it set up

murankar

Staff member
Those are the cheapies, I'll have too look into a higher quality set. The balls spin freely on the sticks, it acts like a turn table. Today is a new day but right now I need to take care of some army stuff then it's off to flying.

Adam

Not bad keep up the good work. After you said something about breaking zipties in the cold made me chuckle because i had no clue why they were breaking lol. I have the same set of training gear and i think i have modified them with some ductape but hey they still keep doing their job. cant wait to see more people like me getting success on this forum cant wait to see more flights man.

Tony

Staff member
Okay, my observations. First, you need a couple clicks of right rudder and a couple clicks of right cyclic it seems. Other than that, it looks like you are doing really well. Keep it up and keep flying. Don't be like me and never get time to do it hahaha

murankar

Staff member
Right now I am down for the count! lol. My tail servo mount snapped the very next day. It was suggested I get the Align plastic version but contemplating on getting the Align metal one. Another observation is that I think I may not have gotten the tail servo quit tight enough. My 1.5mm hex driver was starting to round off at the time, plus I managed to get all 4 screws in finally. Anyhow I feel like I should be a lot better than I am. I know that I only have went through 4 batteries at this point. But it still feel amazing to be in control of this machine. I turned a head or two on Monday when I was attempting to get off the skids a little.

murankar

Staff member
Everyone says parking lot first. Less chance of catching the ground with the training gear while you are scooting around. Grass is good after you mastered the hover in all normal positions, non-inverted flight. The only real grass area I have is turf on a soccer or football field. That could be worse than grass. Also the hard plastic balls I have make it difficult to keep a steady tail on spool up. Buy the suggested 7.99 set with foam balls instead. What happens is the balls spin freely on the rods and allows the heli to spin like a record on 45 speed. Not to encouraging when starting out. I was holding full right rudder on spool up and it still spun to the left. I hope this helps.

Tony

Staff member
Good stuff murankar! Does the surface matter much for the first flights? Asphalt vs grass vs gravel?

You always want to start out on a hard surface where the heli can scoot around. This will allow you to play with the controls and learn what each stick does. It's also great for hover practice. But, once you start getting into FF, more over grass. The grass and dirt will do less damage to the heli in a crash than the hard surface will.

Top Bottom