General Giving Helis a shot again.

Robudda

I tried learning on a 50 size a few years back. Day 2 I got a little full of myself and crashed. $200 fix, and the next time I hovered I was a nervous wreck and did not enjoy it so sold it off. I would like to get back into learning to fly again starting off slower and without the fear of a $200 fix each time I crash. I am starting off with a sim and some smaller Helis to progress into.

Blade Nano CPs for when weather is bad outside
Blade 230s once I am comfy on a sim and the Nano CPs
Trex 450 Pro DFC with Beastx and with enough parts to build a second 450. I would like to stretch this and go 6s. However, I do not think I will be flying this for a while.

AF685BBB-E6FB-4BA9-A85B-4C2DC33FA8AC_zpsh9vkrtsk.jpg

Tony

Staff member
Doing it this way is the absolute best way you can get back into it. Push yourself to sim for an hour a day and try not to treat it as a game. an hour a day will do wonders, trust me. Once you have that, play around with the smaller heli's for a while and get used to how they fly and handle. Then, move up to the 450. And keep the 450 3s, the Pro version only needs 3s. If you get the dominator (325mm to 360mm) then you are going to need to move up to the 6s setup, but the frame is wider and can handle a larger pack.

Smoggie

Hi Robudda,
Welcome onboard! That sounds like a good learning plan. It's best to take learning to fly (especially learning to fly helis) in baby steps, getting over confident usually ends badly. I'm sure the guys here will be able to assist you on the journey. If you do have a setback it's best to get back in the saddle as soon as possible. It's normal to be a nervous wreck after a crash, you just need to work though it. If you take it steady the crashes should be few and far between.

Do you have any experience with other forms of RC?

Robudda

Hi Robudda,
Welcome onboard! That sounds like a good learning plan. It's best to take learning to fly (especially learning to fly helis) in baby steps, getting over confident usually ends badly. I'm sure the guys here will be able to assist you on the journey. If you do have a setback it's best to get back in the saddle as soon as possible. It's normal to be a nervous wreck after a crash, you just need to work though it. If you take it steady the crashes should be few and far between.

Do you have any experience with other forms of RC?

Yes I have many years in RC cars and Trucks. Plus on and off with Rc Planes the last 10 years. And I dabble a little with Quads.

- - - Updated - - -

Doing it this way is the absolute best way you can get back into it. Push yourself to sim for an hour a day and try not to treat it as a game. an hour a day will do wonders, trust me. Once you have that, play around with the smaller heli's for a while and get used to how they fly and handle. Then, move up to the 450. And keep the 450 3s, the Pro version only needs 3s. If you get the dominator (325mm to 360mm) then you are going to need to move up to the 6s setup, but the frame is wider and can handle a larger pack.

I was planning on stretching this to 360mm blades and running 6s, and build a second heli out of the left over parts with no stretch with 3s. I enjoy building everything as much as flying so stretching this and building a second one should be a blast.

Thanks Tony for the great site you have here and the Youtube channel.....

Rob

murankar

Staff member
Welcome good choice for starting off. Personally if your going to strectch that trex 450 i would just upgrade to a used Dominator L frame and trransplant the electrics. Then all you would need is a motor, esc and batteries for 6S. Or find a built Dominator L for cheap. I would also suggest the Gaui X3L. Again swap the elecrics over and buy the motor esc and batteries.

Smoggie

Yes I have many years in RC cars and Trucks. Plus on and off with Rc Planes the last 10 years. And I dabble a little with Quads.
Rob, previous RC experience certainly helps. The planes and quads in particular should make the process easier. I started on helis after many years with planes and found it reasonably straightforward, but a lot depends on if you use rudder when you fly your planes. With helis you need to use rudder constantly in coordination with other controls. With planes it's possible to turn by 'bank and yank' and pretty much ignore the rudder stick. if you do fly planes that way transitioning to helis is harder.

Good luck with the learning curve and keep us informed on progress.

Steve

Tony

Staff member
I will actually add to what URI just stated. If you want a 6s setup but you also want a 3s setup as well, just order an Align 450L Dominator kit. I have a 450 Pro that I swapped out the frame on for a Dominator frame keeping everything the stock size (325mm blades and such) and quite honestly, I'm thinking about putting the pro frame back on it. In fact, I might do that here in the next few days... I honestly would keep the 450 the way it is and just build a second kit.

holtneil

Hi Rod your love the 230 when your ready to give it a go My wife is learning on the 230 and she loves it , That reminds me she wants more batteries lol
Good luck take it slow and enjoy it

Robudda

Thanks all for all the good information. Maybe will leave the trex 450 as is as stated above, and build the second frame up with left over parts and sale that to help start funding another like the Gaui x3l or the Goblin 380 or something or maybe the trex 470l. i still have enough parts after selling the second frame to rebuild a few times after crashes.

Top Bottom