Funny 700 Story

Ken Jackson

My buddy let me fly his 700 again. He fixed the low head speed problem and has the govenor dialed in where he likes it. It's hard to catch in the video but right at the end but 2-3 minutes into the flight I did a flip, as I was coming out of it the throttle shut off. I've been told it is very difficult to auto a 500 so I've not spent much time on autorotation training. So here I am flying someone else's 700. Amazingly enough I did OK even though I haven't done one even on the simulator in over a year.

So we check the flight logs to find out possibly what happened and obviously we saw a few weird things but nothing conclusive. So kind of chalked it up to either I hit the throttle hold or something weird happened.

Yesterday my buddy calls to tell me it wasn't my fault. He was in an inverted hover and it shut off on him. He practices autos but not from being inverted. He knew he didn't have enough time to flip first so he auto'ed it inverted all the way to the grass. Landed on the blades which had pretty much come to a quick stop when it touched the ground and it just toppled over on its side. Absolutely nothing broke. The positive pin on the plug for the throttle connection to the receiver had pushed out of the connector and lost power. I had been this way a while but didn't act up until the time it shut off on me.

I knew I didn't hit the throttle hold, Lol
So check your pins periodically where they plug into the receiver, never know when something dumb like that could cause a crash or at least make two different people panic and have to auto. One first time the other inverted. Whew!!!

Ken

700 shuts off, or did I do it. Log will tell - YouTube

- - - Updated - - -

Oh yeah the only damage I caused was it bent the front skids apart so the helicopter sat like a goblin.

Tony

Staff member
I have some pins like that on my 450. I have to use an exacto or small allan driver to push them down so they seat. After about 5 flights, I have to push them down again. Annoying, but needed.

Top Bottom