Forum Hard To Navigate???

Tony

Staff member
With the two (er...3) emails that I have sent out over the last few days, I have gotten some replies saying that the forum is hard to navigate.

Do you think so?

If so, post up some suggestions as to what would make the forum easier to navigate.

When on a PC i think it is easy to navigate, however when I was using my tablet (samsung 10.2) it was very difficult.
I actually originally thought the forum was a joke, as i couldn't see any posts under most of the headings, but in my stubborness I thought I would check the sub forums, and sure enough lots of posts opened up.
Maybe I've been involved in too many really bad sites, that I've worked out my own work arounds if I can't find anything I just search and it all comes up. (Try looking through the aussie land rover forum, its a pain)
I think you've done a pretty good job with this one

Tony

Staff member
Yeah, I need to work on the mobile site a bit more. To keep the main forum looking clean, we put in sub forums and I think now, that was a mistake. As you pointed out, people will look in forums, not see anything and may be turned off by it.

The reason we did it this way was to clean up the main forum so it's not horribly long. But, maybe we should look into making it more user friendly for new forum users and not for aesthetics. Nothing but time to change it around.

Karubah

Found this forum easy to navigate. iPhone is a bit more difficult only because of the size of the screen. The only thing I was thinking the other day was that the most commonly asked Qs like tail wag or TX settings answers are in a sticky in the relevant section. It might save experts like yourself from continually giving the same answers to different members. Keep up the good work. Cheers Andy

Tony

Staff member
Experts? Pfft, got you fooled :lmao:

Thanks bro. I agree that we do need more stickies explaining things in one place per section. However, there are SOOOOO many things to explain, just on helicopters, that there would either be a LOT of stickies, or the sticky would be as long as the forum posts x10 lol. But, I like this idea and I will be working on it.

and just so everyone knows, you can scroll down to the bottom of the mobile version and select Full Site. That will show it just as you see it on your computer. If you want to go back, you have to scroll down to the bottom of any page, click the pull down on the bottom left of the forum, and select Default Mobile.

On my Note II, I have it on the full site thanks to the stylus, and on my iphone (yes I still use it lmao) I use the mobile style.

Hey Tony,
I just had a flick through some of the other forums that i've been on, and it seems their main page is much longer, as they may have those sub forums all listed on the front page.
I have to admit i do prefer the layout of this site. It is that bit neater cos you have set out the sub forums. From the mobile site point of view, the only thing I could suggest is maybe put the sticky's there that way it shows something there, and may get people to look under the subforums. Opening up the page and getting something that says there are no posts here is a bit of a turn off. Yes i knew there had to be posts in there somewhere based on the numbers indicating the posts posted.
Otherwise it is all good :)
Keep up the good work, certainly is more visually appealing than most other forums

Tony

Staff member
Yeah, I would have to change around some permissions in order to put a post in there. And the thing is, if I put a post in there, then people might think that is the only thing posted here on the forum. Just one of those balancing acts, aesthetics or ease.

pvolcko

On tablet/mobile the buttons (new posts, latest post in a thread icon, etc.) can be difficult to tap and get to recognize. Mobile runs into real estate issues on pic and vid threads.

I prefer using PC for this site anyway, though. Far easier to type and get around. Plus I'm using it for video and pic editing and uploading anyway.

Sub forums, I'm fine with them. Seem perfectly logical to me. Better than a large flat listing of all forum areas, like I've seen on some other sites.

One thing I do find annoying at times: Using the "new posts" link at the top, reading through and then recalling you wanted to post a reply to one of the threads... hit new posts again and it does not relist the ones you just read, only unread threads or threads with new posts since your last site action. I'd rather it kept all threads, even read ones, in chronological order by date/time so one can go back to a thread without having to hunt for it in history, search it out, or wait for someone else to post in it so it shows up in the list once again.

There's a "todays posts" option under quick links that may do just that. May start using that instead.

Tony

Staff member
Yeah, what's new is there for new posts. Each time you read something and then click new posts again, the cookie has been set that you have read it. Once you clear all threads, you cna hit the link when it says there have been no new posts.

but your last line is the best way to do what you are wanting to do. Unfortunately, there is no way I cna change the settings on the whats new button.

Derek

I can't think of a time when I've had difficulties "navigating" through RCH, whether it be on my PC or my Android Phone (on my phone while at work). I like how this site is set up.

Whirlybird

And just so everyone knows, you can scroll down to the bottom of the mobile version and select Full Site. That will show it just as you see it on your computer. If you want to go back, you have to scroll down to the bottom of any page, click the pull down on the bottom left of the forum, and select Default Mobile.

On my Note II, I have it on the full site thanks to the stylus, and on my iphone (yes I still use it lmao) I use the mobile style.

I always use full site on my iOS devices. Just get out the microscope :yikes:

Last edited:

Slobberdog

I have no issues with the site or layout, its intuitive and the use of the sub forums keeps the info much easier to find and work through, maybe one way thing you could add is a FAQ section and tag threads in there that people can get most use out of,

have not really used the mobile site, just my opinion but they tend to lose clarity and function so i use the full site on all my devices,

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
I just use the full version on my I pad. Much easer to look around. On my I phone I use forumrunner. It's a little more difficult to use but manageable. What I don't like about it is the posts do not disappear after you read them. Making that a little repetitious.

RandyDSok

I'd probably suggest that you email the people that contacted you back and ask exactly what it was they were having issues with...

Ask them what device, PC, tablet, smartphone etc ... they are using. Then what browser they are using. Whether they are viewing in the full or mobile. Then finish up with asking what specifically it is that they find hard to navigate and what other suggestions they may have.

If they have valid complaints... you'd find the answers you are looking for and if not... then you could ignore them as just being lazy etc.

Microbus

I've never had any problems using the site with my laptop, iPhone or iPad. I think it's a great site and you do a great job maintaining it.

Tony

Staff member
I have no issues with the site or layout, its intuitive and the use of the sub forums keeps the info much easier to find and work through, maybe one way thing you could add is a FAQ section and tag threads in there that people can get most use out of,

have not really used the mobile site, just my opinion but they tend to lose clarity and function so i use the full site on all my devices,

There is a FAQ on here and I have been meaning to update it. But, updating it is not quite that easy. Unlike doing everything here on the forum, I have to update that by accessing that page on the server, editing it, and reuploading it. Horrible design by vBulletin IMO. But I do plan on updating it.

And in your opinion, do you think it would be best to do a FAQ, or just put the stickies in the forum sections? What I"m worried about is almost no one reads the forum rules, so why woudl they read the FAQ? And you can read it HERE. As you can see, the info in there is not that great.

I just use the full version on my I pad. Much easer to look around. On my I phone I use forumrunner. It's a little more difficult to use but manageable. What I don't like about it is the posts do not disappear after you read them. Making that a little repetitious.

They will go away if you click the new posts button again. Or, you may need to go into your settings and change some things.

I'd probably suggest that you email the people that contacted you back and ask exactly what it was they were having issues with...

Ask them what device, PC, tablet, smartphone etc ... they are using. Then what browser they are using. Whether they are viewing in the full or mobile. Then finish up with asking what specifically it is that they find hard to navigate and what other suggestions they may have.

If they have valid complaints... you'd find the answers you are looking for and if not... then you could ignore them as just being lazy etc.

Just looked, and I would if I could find the email lmao. But, I wanted everyone elses opinion on this to see who felt the same about it. and so far, no one feels that way. And I'm seeing mostly IE 9 and 10, then FF, then chrome, then Safari browsers being used on here. So as for the layout, I'm not going ot worry about it much, thankfully. It would take me a week to come up with and upload a whole new layout. Then there is the whole movign posts thing and all fo that nightmare lmao.

I've never had any problems using the site with my laptop, iPhone or iPad. I think it's a great site and you do a great job maintaining it.

Thanks MB, I'm trying to keep it going with fresh content, it's just hard with a full time job and full time family. But I'm trying.

RandyDSok

Personally I see no issue with the forum as it is... but I normally don't have an issue figuring out a program I've never seen before either so I usually can't relate to posts/comments similar to what you mentioned ...

I always think, in the back of my mind... perhaps they'd also have trouble pouring water out of a boot with the instructions written on the bottom... lmao

Joking aside... It appears that from the small set of replies already given... that there is little wrong with the layout as it is. Tweak the areas you've only already thought of ( if any ) and if someone else posts or emails you about it... then ask to see if any good suggestions come from them.

Tony

Staff member
Exactly what I was thinking Randy. At this time, I have no intention of making the forum without sub forums just to keep the main forum a little cleaner as it is now. Hell, it took me a week to get it looking like it does now and it was done by request. I just wanted to make sure that the comment I received was not what everyone was thinking. If it was, I would consider changing the forum. But since everyone likes it, then it's going to stay just as it is and we are just going to add to it.

Top Bottom