Batteries For how long a charged lipo battery can be stored?

Hi guys, I just want to find out for how many days can you store a charged lipo battery. As sometimes I'm planning going to the field but something else comes up and I cancel it. I 've heard that it's no good to keep a charged battery more than a day. Is it a fact?

Tony

Staff member
I wouldn't leave it for any more than a week. And even that is pushing it if it is charged fully to 4.20 volts per cell.

Smoggie

There is no 'safe' limit. Basically every minute a battery spends fully charged causes accelerated damage to the battery, it's only a tiny amount but it ads up. So it's best practice to limit how long a battery spends in the fully charged state. A few days once in a while wont do any measurable harm but if it's two or three days every week that very soon starts to add up: By the end of the year that battery will have spend in total 4 or 5 months in the fully charged state, which will do damage you can measure. The fact that the 4 or 5 months was split into lot of three day periods is not relevant, it's the total time that counts.

No point getting obsessive about battery care to the point it starts to limit your flying, but try to be as kind to your batteries as you practically can if you want them to last.

Geena

Staff member
a couple of days won`t be too hard on them. But as Smoggie said, every minute they are sitting charged, they are being damaged. I personally don`t charge mine until I`m at the field and ready to fly. Right now, the days here are long ( don`t get dark til 8ish PM) so I leave them at the 20% capacity that I discharge them to during flight. Because I`m just going to head to the field the next day anyway. If I`m not planning to use them for a week or more, I always put them into storage charge. Which is about 53% charge with my FMA PL8 charger.

Top Bottom