Prop Flying Off Snow/ice With Skis

BCJ

I want to try winter flying this year and found skis at Horizon. Are there pluses and/or minuses to mounting skis on and flying a tail dragger vs a plane with tricycle gear?

Tony

Staff member
Not really any pluses or minuses. On a tricycle you will just drop the tail to get into the air and on a tail dragger you have to raise the tail and then drop to get into the air. But that's the same on asphalt or snow, wheels or ski's.

Have you ever flown a tail dragger?

BCJ

Not really any pluses or minuses. On a tricycle you will just drop the tail to get into the air and on a tail dragger you have to raise the tail and then drop to get into the air. But that's the same on asphalt or snow, wheels or ski's.

Have you ever flown a tail dragger?
yes, I've flown tail draggers quite a bit. Why do you ask?
Is there some tip re draggers?

Tony

Staff member
If you have flown them then you already know what I'm about to say. I'll say it for the rest out there lol.

When you are taking off with a tail dragger, depending on the rotation of the prop, it can pull to the left or right when the tail comes up which you have to compensate for.

gliderflier

you can always use foam to construct your snowshoes, regular packing foam works well or depron a little brittle, yes there always drag but youre going slow so youre ok, on a jet i would say no

Top Bottom