First post, maiden flight with Apprentice

Dbell79

It joined a club to learn house to fly r/c planes. I had a stroke about a year and a half ago my right hand is useless. So I bought a one mode DX6i TX and my club bought a DX5e to use a buddy box system.
My trainer wanted to fly my Apprentice around for a while just to get used to the mode one TX. He got the plane to lift off, got it above the tree line and then as he started in his first bank, he planted it in ground, totaling it.
I don't understand the plane went straight down and hit the ground. I wish it were my fault. I really don't understand. He said he never flown mode one.... Was that just an excuse? I wish I had more of an answer.

My wife and I took the plane to the dealers and they told me it would be $135 parts plus labor. Pretty much the cost of a new BNF.
I think I choose the wrong hobby.
Steve

SIXFOOTER

Ouch, sucky to start off.
Not for nothing, but you know you can build a foam board plane for about $5 and put your electronics in it.
Way cheaper way to learn.

Welcome aboard

Tony

Staff member
Hey Dbell, that is some tough luck but trust me we have all been there. The fact you are trying to do this with only one hand is way beyond my comprehension. I have a hard enough time with two hands, I can't even imagine one hand.

As SIX stated, build you a foam plane like the RCH Trainer and give that a go. You can click on teh store tab at the top of the forum and download the plans for free. And as always, if you need any help with anything, we are always here to help.

And I don't believe you want to give up. Afterall, you signed up on here. Just ask your questions and we will do all we can to help out.

Admiral

Hi Dbell, its a setback but I hope that it is not reason that you quit, if you are going to learn Mode 1 you really need a Mode 1 instructor, we spend hour practicing to fly in our particular mode so that out fingers act instinctively, I'm sure there are people out there that can fly either mode but very few, the only one I know of flies Fixed wing Mode 1 and Helicopters Mode 2, but he is a rarity.

Maybe a simulator would be the way to go, a least crashes would then not impact the wallet and while not being the real thing they defiantly help with learning to fly. Try a SIM for a while before you make the decision to give up, you will enjoy it.

Dbell79

I have no intention of giving up. Yesterday was a tough day.

Can this work as a buddy box system: a DX5e mode2 as master with a DX6i mode 1 as slave?
I'm going to post this in the right place...

DBell
I could be wrong but I believe that in order to do a buddy option
both TX's must be in the same Mode.
The more experienced will chime in I am sure.

Heliman450

Hi Dbell79, I'm in awe of the challenge that faces you and your resolve to continue. I'm sure the Forum will be a Major help to you.

:welcome1: :welcome1:

Heliman450

Dbell79

Hi Dbell79, I'm in awe of the challenge that faces you and your resolve to continue. I'm sure the Forum will be a Major help to you.

:welcome1: :welcome1:

Heliman450
I will continue. However, I believe I need to find another club. The instructor of the club I joined, didn't make any kind of resolve about my plane, the one that cost me $300. No mention of making it up to me or anything. He totaled my plane and he was like, "that sucks man". And he's the secretary! His brother is the President.

Heliman450

I've only recently joined my local flying Club, over here I'm a rarity using Mode2, most fly Mode1, I'm told it's the German influence. Unfortunately, too far away for you to have any 1-2-1 benefit from that.

Up to now, my experience is that the simulator isn't close enough to the real thing to be a proper substitute. This is probably as I'm not practicing enough to push the boundaries from the basics. If you've got the time then the only way is to keep practicing. Crashes don't cost money on the simulator and the added benefit is that you save the embarassment, too. Add to that the attitude of the guys you're in touch with there and it's a bad mix for your ego.

As you're trying to master a different stick mode I'm sure the simulator is the best way to go. You can practice with helicopters, gliders and planes. It's all about training your coordination no matter which mode or how many hands you have to achieve it. My Phoenix has trainer options, which mean you can practice just one part of the mix at a time.

Hope this helps, good luck and keep us posted in the Lounge on how you get on.
Heliman450

Dbell79

A couple of things I've learned since I made this post. In a buddy-box system, you don't have to be in the same mode.
It turns out, I needed mode 3 to fly planes. Our buddy-box set up is, club DX6i (mode 2) bound to my plane as master, my DX9 (mode 3) as slave bound to the master DX6i (mode 2).

It can't be any simpler than that. We in the U.S. typically fly mode 2; folks in UK typically fly mode 1. Using adjustments on Spektrum DX7 or higher can be made to use any mode you situation needs. Modes are 1 to 4.

Top Bottom