First over speed

Lee

Got out for one flight tonight before it got dark.
Thought I'd have a go at one of these Over Speed thingys :D
To my surprise, it worked first time. It was no Bert Kammerer, but I heard that tell tail high pitch noise as I pulled into it.
I'll get some video tomorrow :D

Also got to witness the bungy fail attempt of my friends scratch built Harrier Jet.
It looked awesome, but doesn't really go anywhere if you forget to attach the bungy DOH!!!!!
None of us were sure of what happened. The bungy released, but the plane was still on the ramp???
But was missing a rear tail fin???
Unfortunately the metal ring that releases the bungy, caught the tail as it snapped passed the plane.
Not too much damage. Should be ready for maiden attempt number two tomorrow night.

treff

Not sure what Over speed means with helis. Is it when the rotor begins turning the motor with the force of the air going through?

pvolcko

It's when the rotor (and tail) gets going significantly faster than normal. It doesn't drive the motor since the OWB will slip when this happens. Sometimes it happens by accident or simply as part of a maneuver (I usually hear it on fastish dives with negative pitch level descents on the end, much like an auto-rotation attempt). But if you learn how to do it on purpose you can bring the heli in way low and use the overspeed on the rotor system to pop it before it hits the ground.

For your viewing and auditory pleasure:
[video=youtube_share;cgrXomI_CtY]http://youtu.be/cgrXomI_CtY?t=3m10s[/video]

Skip to 3:10ish to see the high flying setup and execution of the famed overspeed "McDougal" maneuver.

treff

That was an amazing demo of over speed. The heli must weigh a considerable weight on the pull out the stress must be amazing on those blade. Thanks

Lee

You didn't watch the heli masters then Graham?
Thats all Nick Johnson was shouting over the mic. OVERSPEED!!! OVERSPEED!!!! :D

Top Bottom