first loops.

danhampson

tried my first loops this morning.......
sorry for the quality, i need some D/V glasses

Last edited by a moderator:

pvolcko

Nice. :)

Camera person needs to not zoom in so tight. Heli footage is better with a looser zoom so you have context of heli position and what it's doing from the wider perspective. Looser zoom also tends to make it easier for auto-focus to keep track of things. If possible, put the camera on fixed focus. The heli will likely be out at or past inf focus anyway.

danhampson

we are going to get some more footage on monday morning, so i will have a look at the camera and switch the focus to manual. Thanks for the advice mate.

treff

Yes well done,nice moves. I get the same buzz just getting the thing of the floor LOL and of course back down again without changing a feathering shaft LOL Great stuff.

danhampson

thanks guys. its the best buzz ive found Lee.
ive just been getting as much stick and sim time as possible and it seems to be slowly paying off.
We will be going back to the field on monday and hope to be some better footage,

danhampson

im really enjoying the protos and brain now that im starting to do things other than just hover. ive been practicing nose in inverted hovering on the sim preparing myself to try some flips.

Ken Jackson

Dude your ready for flips. A flip is a tiny loop and you got the loop thing down. I've been working on making my loops as large as possible, especially the reverse or backward loop. Just do them up high for a while. Not ridiculously high but enough that the ground won't be an issue. Flips on the simulator are not the same anyway so from my perspective your ready. Remember on a backward flip the Heli will travel backward. If you nail it you should end up in he same position but if your loose the Heli will be traveling backwards. No big deal but it can catch you off guard at first.

Good luck

Ken

- - - Updated - - -

Nice. :)

Camera person needs to not zoom in so tight. Heli footage is better with a looser zoom so you have context of heli position and what it's doing from the wider perspective. Looser zoom also tends to make it easier for auto-focus to keep track of things. If possible, put the camera on fixed focus. The heli will likely be out at or past inf focus anyway.

Good point plus you can use software to zoom in later. You can't un-zoom though.
Ken

pvolcko

Optical zoom is better (no loss of resolution), but it is also easy to get carried away with it. What I've been doing is recording at 1080p and then I'll digitally zoom the footage and render down to 720p or even 480p. Basically performing a crop of the original 1080 footage. I'll move the crop rectangle around as needed to keep the heli in frame. Works well, especially for my head mounted camera footage (no camera person with me usually).

danhampson

cheers ken, ive been out a couple of times since but the wind has a bit high and gusting for me to try flips, it will be soon though.

pvolcko what software do you use, iv never done any video editing before

Last edited:

Ken Jackson

Program called Wondershare. I've heard windows movie maker is good as well. The software I bought will do HD quality
Ken

- - - Updated - - -

Program called Wondershare. I've heard windows movie maker is good as well. The software I bought will do HD quality
Ken

Top Bottom