Projects First Foamie Build

someguyinsandy

Crash Test Dummy
No maiden today. I was preparing for it, charging batteries, making some final adjustments when of all things my cat decided to start having kittens! She is up to three right now, with the fourth not making it. My next update to this thread will be maiden flight footage, but it may be a couple of days at this point. I'll have to toss some kitty pics into the lounge later!

Steve in Sandy

Tony

Staff member
Priorities bro, I understand. Although I'm not really a cat person, I love my cat. But she is all black and mean as hell lol. If a kid even comes near her, she claws the living crap out of them and they never come back to my house. hehe, my cat likes quiet like I do hahahahahaha

someguyinsandy

Crash Test Dummy
That is the best kind of cat! I tried to get a photo of the kittens while mom was eating, but they are still pretty small, and all in a ball sleeping so the photos were kind of useless. I'll try again later.

Here in a bit I'm taking the Foamie over to my pilots house so he can look it over, check the TX setting etc. Hopefully it will "pass muster." We are back to blustery conditions here, so it isn't going up this evening. :grumpy: But it will be soon!

Steve in Sandy

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks! Me Too!

someguyinsandy

Crash Test Dummy
I had my friend check it out. We made a few changes to the TX programming, just some minor stuff. He told me that if it flies decently, he wants to build one also.

I just finished amping the motor and prop combo. The e-Flite 370 with a 8x4.5 prop pulls a hair over 11.1 amps. I also ran a static thrust measurement buy hanging it by the tail. The all up weight is 440 grams, and the thrust comes in at 710 grams. So power over weight rounded off gives me 1.6! I know that static thrust doesn't mean much, but I figure a 1.6 is nothing to sneeze at.

We are going to put it up tomorrow evening. He wanted to fly it as soon as he looked it over, but I told him no because I didn't have my video camera with me. I am stoked about this now!

Tony

Staff member
1.6 will do quite well on that plane. I don't think I'm that high on my setup, but that is mostly because of the prop I'm using. Have your buddy sign up on here and show us some build pics of his as well. Oh, and have him post up what he has. We would love to see it. Can't wait for the maiden. Just make sure CoG is at 1/3 chord and dial in just a touch of up elevator and you should be pretty good.

Tony

Staff member
Sweet deal. Hope it all went well. Guess we will see when you get the video uploaded lol.

someguyinsandy

Crash Test Dummy
It's uploading to YouTube as I write this. Everything went better than I could have hoped. :triumphant: I'll say that you, Mr. Tony, have a good eye. The plane did exactly what you said it would do. Your suggestions and positive input really helped make this one of the "funnest" things I've done in a long time. I am glad I joined your forum, and hope to share many more maidens in the future!

The video I'm uploading is 10 minutes long, but there is some good stuff in it so I hope I don't bore too many people with it. I also made a recap video that I'll update once this one is done cooking.

Thanks again Tony, and the rest - you guys rock! \m/ :victorious:

Tony

Staff member
Wow, thank you for the kind words. I spent a lot of time designing the Rc-Help Trainer, and even though it's not an "easy build", it's still a great flier and will help people get into the hobby for $3 worth of foamboard and some electronics.

As for the maiden, when it posts, I will watch it. I love watching new guys get into the air. Nothing is "boring" to me, you can post whatever you want and I will respond with either a congrats, or give you pointers on how to improve on your next flight. I will NEVER tell you your video or flying sucked like they like to do on other sites lol. That is why I created this site, I wanted people to have a place to come to actually learn about the hobby, not just get trashed on when they are learning.

Okay, /rant lol. I hope you will build the next one that I"m working on right now. It's a great plane and will help you expand your flying skills if you want to drop a little more cash on some more gear. However, I will not let the cat out of the bag on what it is just yet lmao. I still need to tweak it a little more before I release it.

Now hurry up and get that video uploaded!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111!!!!!!!! hehe

someguyinsandy

Crash Test Dummy
No, thank you!

The vid is almost done uploading, of course it still has to process...

Regarding your secret project, I'm in! I have two virgin pieces of Depron, and a 48' carbon tube for a spar that desparately want to fly, they just don't know what they are going to look like yet!

Tony

Staff member
Depending on the size of your carbon tube, it may be perfect for this project. I'm thinking about using a metal broom handle cause I have no place around here that sells the tubes I want lol. And yes, it will carry the weight without a problem lmao. Not sure on the depron though, but it may work. I will let you know later after I get the final flights on it.

someguyinsandy

Crash Test Dummy
Finally done! Here is the maiden flight video, get some popcorn because it's 10 minutes long!

The second video is the recap...

Last edited by a moderator:

Tony

Staff member
Crap, I screwed up lmao. Why did I think you were building and flying the RCH Trainer? That's my bad lmao. I'm going to blame it on a long day and I'm sticking to it lol. I will watch the video now and shut up for a minute lmao.

- - - Updated - - -

LAWNDART!!! hahaha. I love it. You can build another one with the wing as you stated you were going to do, but dude that thing is flying great! Program in some DR/Expo 70/40 and it will be very tame for you as long as your not banging the sticks. I love the design and wish I had the plane here so I could convert it into plans for everyone to download. Makes me want to build one.

One suggestion, since you are calling this an extra and extras are supposed to fly inverted, put a Kfm2 airfoil on it. Or is that a Kfm4 I'm thinking of... Either way, you will have a main wing piece going 100% chord, then one on top and one on bottom going 50% chord. That will give you great speeds as well as perfect inverted stability.

Keep it up bro, can't wait to see more of this plane!

Tony

Staff member
Yes, the Kfm4 is what you should do next. Or, you could do one of the other 8 or so wings lol.

KFm-Family-descriptions.jpg

KFm-Family-descriptions.jpg

someguyinsandy

Crash Test Dummy
I made some rudimentary paper patterns after I cut the original foamboard, so I can replicate the plane from them. I'll see what it will take to properly draw them up to create a .pdf over the next few days. I'll make the "plans" available to anyone that wants a copy!

After looking at the diagram you posted, I think my wing is half of a KFm6! Good point though to use the profile you suggested. When Russ and I build the next two, we'll incorporate that airfoil to see what happens!

Maybe I'll even video the build process... (thinking of all the work involved...) what the H, I'll do it!

Steve in Sandy

- - - Updated - - -

Tony, get me your address and I'll ship it to you (minus electronics) if you like... Just let me know.

someguyinsandy

Crash Test Dummy
I just couldn't stand the fact that my project was damaged... So, I fixed it! :chuncky:

Just cause I could...

Last edited by a moderator:

Tony

Staff member
No need to send me one, they are not cheap to ship lol. And the nose looks great. Can't wait to see more videos with this thing in the air.

Top Bottom