Prop Extreme Flight Edge 540T 48"

Smoggie

As above, it will spin a 14x7 prop but you need to watch the amps, you can easily exceed the 45A ESC rating. Many run them that way and the ESC seems to cope ok even when it does go over it's official rating a little. 13x6.5 is 'safer' but a bit underpowered.

Blade_flyer

Re: Extreme Flight Edge 540T 48"

Thanks Randy. I saw that on the website and was hoping to find which one some folks that have flown this Edge prefer. I was wondering if one was better for 3D and the other for sport.

Bud

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks. That is great information. I've read reviews from a while back from guys that have flown this plane on 3s and 4s. They liked the steady performance on 3s, but said the plane comes alive on 4s. I do have a 4s 4000 battery, but it is probably twice as heavy as the 4s 2200 - 2700 that the manufacturer suggests. I'm not sure how much that would affect the flight characteristics as long as it will balance.

Bud

Smoggie

4s 4000mah would be too heavy, at least if you had any intentions of flying 3D. You would also not be able to get a good CG because the battery cant slide back very far due to the wing joiner tube.

Blade_flyer

4s 4000mah would be too heavy, at least if you had any intentions of flying 3D. You would also not be able to get a good CG because the battery cant slide back very far due to the wing joiner tube.

That's what I figured. It's about twice as heavy as the 2700.

Thanks!

Blade_flyer

I finished the Edge 540t this past week. Maidened her today and after a few final trim adjustments, she flew great! Wind started to pick up after 3 flights, so I packed it up and called it a day. Here are some shots. You will notice I didn't have the graphics on this morning. I just finished it up...

IMG_3102.jpgIMG_3107.jpgIMG_3109.jpgIMG_3110.jpg

IMG_3102.jpg

IMG_3107.jpg

IMG_3109.jpg

IMG_3110.jpg

RandyDSok

Lookin' good Blade_flyer...

On my planes... I've set them all up with 3 rates instead of just 2... I usually fly on the medium rate but have a low and high available if I want them. I'd assume you have the same option on the DX9... I've got the Futaba 8FG

Smoggie

Looking good.. What motor did you go for in the end?

I also have 3 rates on my 3D planes, low for precision aerobatics, medium for 3D and a special rate that takes elevator throw to as much as mechanically possible, which i use for knife edge spins and tumbling maneuvers like Lomcovacs etc.

Last edited:

Blade_flyer

Right now, I just have two rates in the DX9. I run my low rate at 55% with 45% expo. It will be some time before I am comfortable with 3D to start moving up. I will probably set at even lower rate for sport flying and run the low rat I have now as a mid rate. I do like the plane, it handles well. As a newer RC pilot, I plant to build some more experience on the sim with 3D and when I'm more comfortable, will slowly incorporate the moves into my flying on the Edge.

It has a lot of wing area, much more than the Apprentice. I started to get windy yesterday, and it really made a difference on the Edge. I feel comfortable flying the Apprentice in 20-25 mph winds, but I was feeling a little squirrely with the Edge at 12-15 mph. As I get more confidence flying it, I'm sure it will feel better in the wind. So far, I really like it. It seems to have plenty of power on 3S for now... I had it trimmed out at about half throttle. Vertical performance seemed to be adequate. I'm sure it will scream on 4S! Smoggie, I ended up going with the Torque 2814/820 with the 45A ESC.

Top Bottom