Prop Extreme Flight Edge 540T 48"

Blade_flyer

I am planning to purchase the 48" Edge 540T EXP from Extreme Flight. They recommend the Torque 2814T/820 motor with an Airboss 45A ESC. I plan on flying it setup for sport/pattern using a 4S battery.

My question: Does anyone recommend a comparable motor and ESC to the ones sold by Extreme Flight? I may go with a slightly larger ESC just to make sure it doesn't run hot.

Bud

Tony

Staff member
You do know if you put both of them in your cart, you get a $36 discount?

This is a higher KV but the same weight. I'm using the 32 size motor just like this in my 50" Edge 540 and love it.
Tacon Big Foot 10 Brushless Out Runner Motor for Airplane (1100KV)

Here is the 870kv model, but may be too long and heavy.
Tacon Big Foot 25 Brushless Out Runner Motor for Airplane (870KV)

And here is one right in the middle of the other two.
Tacon Big Foot 15 Brushless Out Runner Motor for Airplane (950KV)

And this is the ESC I'm using. Works perfectly even though it's overkill for the motors above.
HobbyWing Platinum-60A Brushless ESC for Trex 450/500

RandyDSok

Re: Extreme Flight Edge 540T 48"

The Torque and even the Omega motors always get great reviews... they are great products...

An alternate brand that I have always liked though is Motrofly... but they are bracketed over and under the Torque so I'm not sure if you'd be better off... but look at their 2815 ( just under ) and 2820 ( just over ) series if you want to look at something different Motrolfly brushless motors for USA and Canada

Just about anything they have in any of their lines will sport fly good ( ok great ) but pattern plain wise... you will likely want something with a slightly longer fuse... the 540T isn't going to be the best pattern flyer although it would do in a pinch if you need it too... now the Vanquish MKII is made for pattern and will also be a pretty nice sport flyer as well.

I've had the 3D Hobby Shop 48" Viper ( crashed it after a servo failure, it's now discontinued in a single wing configuration ) and I was flying with 3S batteries and felt it was plenty quick at the speeds I was getting. Using 4S batteries would certainly let you fly faster but with less flight time and also adds weight to the airframe making them less agile. I'd recommend you think a little bit about the 3S vs 4S setups... a 48" airframe isn't a huge one and I think you'd be happy with 3S, save a little money on batteries and weight so you can keep your wing loading to a minimum. Just a thought.

- - - Updated - - -

Let me add another suggestion also...

I've only flown the 3D Hobby Shop planes but they and Extreme Flight have always been neck and neck in quality, performance and reliability ... Both companies, before they joined together were known for giving good honest opinions when they were asked and it didn't matter if it was about a product they carried or another brand they didn't... In fact, I often saw posts by the owner of 3DHS ( Ben ) recommending an Extreme product when it fit what a person had posted their were looking for... that was before the merger. It was the same for other products such as motors and ESC's as well...

Give them a call... ask the same question with whomever you talk with... this will give you yet another suggestion to take into consideration that I believe you can trust as well as anyone here. They are trustworthy in my opinion and you'll only add to your knowledge.

Smoggie

+1 on Motrolfly motors. for the 48" EF series you want the 2820 750 or 685Kv (depending on if you want to spin a 13x6.5 or 14x7 prop)

But the real killer setup in the 48" that will blow your socks off go for the DM3615-750Kv (lightweight version).. on 4s and a 14x7 prop this motor is simply awesome. This is what i'm now using in my 48" EF Edge and Laser.

- - - Updated - - -

PS..

Motor length is critical on the Edge. Anything longer than the standard motor means that the prop and spinner will stick out the front leaving an ugly gap between cowl and spinner backplate, the cowl isnt long enough to move forward to close the gap. The Motrolfy motors I previously mentioned fit fine as does the standard Torque motor (obviously). Other than that it's pretty hard to find a motor that will fit properly. The Tagan motors you mention are no good. The first is too high Kv for 4s, the other two are too long.

- - - Updated - - -

Just had a dig through my video archive.. this is my EF Laser 200 flying with the DM3615-750, just a few clips aimed at showing the vertical performance it has:

Last edited by a moderator:

Blade_flyer

Thanks for the information! I guess I really would consider this to be a sport plane. I said pattern only because I would like to get more precise in my maneuvers. I would generally sport fly with this but hope to slowly mix in some 3D aerobatics (after perfecting them on the sim). I also have plenty of 3S 3200 batteries as well, so that was a good suggestion.

I have zero experience with setting up an ARF, this will be my first one. I do have an E-Flight EFL7215 BL15 motor. It is a spare for the Apprentice. I'm not at the bench right now, but I think the dimensions are the same as the Torque 2814T/820. I would like to put it to use instead of it collecting dust. I was also wondering about servo brand comparisons. I usually adhere to the old adage that you get what you pay for. EF suggests Hytec servos, but Turnigy has some that meets the same specs for a quarter of the price. My thoughts are why spend $200 on a plane, add a bunch of time to finish it out, only to crash it by going cheap on servos. On the other hand, I purchased a camera from AEE for half the cost of the exact model with the Hytec name. Any thoughts?

Bud

Smoggie

Bud, for sport flying then the 3615 would be total overkill, I agree. If you want a budget motor that will still fly the plane nicely and fit without too excessive a cowl gap then here's some options:

For 3s power: Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 - 3542-1000kv
For 4s power: Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 - 3542-800kv
Electric Motors>TURNIGY SK3>35mm

For servos if I was buying I'd avoid the Hitec (which are no more than average) and get the Turnigy TGY-211DMH : Turnigyâ„¢ TGY-211DMH Coreless w/ Heat Sink DS/MG 2.3kg / 0.10sec / 16g (AR Warehouse) These are fantastic servos, miles better than the hitec.

RandyDSok

Personally I wouldn't use anything less than Hitec servos, they aren't the best but they center reliably and are accurate. There are certainly better servos out there like Savox, MKS and others....

Turnigy does have some good stuff but a lot of what they carry is crap also... sorting through the good from the bad is a pain. I prefer to stick with known good brands that don't sacrifice quality to have something cheap to sell. I've tried Turnigy in the past and will never again go back.

Tony

Staff member
I'm using Hitec servos on my 55" Edge 540T and they are working perfectly. Even if Randy gives me crap for the ones I bought lmao.

RandyDSok

I'm using Hitec servos on my 55" Edge 540T and they are working perfectly. Even if Randy gives me crap for the ones I bought lmao.

I thought I only gave you crap about your choice of those heavy cheap motors...

I've been watching to see what else I can pick on you about... but with your recent issues ( ie work and stuff ) just couldn't bring myself to do it... I'll wait until your in a better mood and having better luck... and then watch out... lmao

Tony

Staff member
lmao. No, you gave me crap because I got the ones that didn't have the output bearing. I think they are the 65's, but can't remember. And that motor is heavy, but it works quite well.

Smoggie

I'm using those exact same Turnigy servos in a few planes and a 450 heli.. They are fast reliable or powerful. I've used Hitec's and Savox and would take the Turnigy over either. Those Turnigy servos are actually just re-badged bluebirds, that in itself isn't the highest recommendation because Bluebirrd make a mixed bunch of servos but in this case they are top notch. They are also the same servo that Precission Aerobatics sels for it's 3D planes of the same size byt PA re-badge them 'Nexgen'. The Savox digitals are pretty good too but the turnigy/bluebird have the edge in my experience, and they are cheaper so what's not to like?

If you want a bit more torque (sacrificing a bit of speed) the 210DMH is a good choice (good for the big elevator on the PA planes): Turnigyâ„¢ TGY-210DMH Coreless w/Heat Sink DS/MG Servo 3.9kg / 0.13sec / 16g

- - - Updated - - -

PS.. the Turnigy/bluebird have dual ball bearings and coreless motors... neither the hitec nor savox can match that.

RandyDSok

lmao. No, you gave me crap because I got the ones that didn't have the output bearing. I think they are the 65's, but can't remember. And that motor is heavy, but it works quite well.

Ah yes... I believe I do recall something along those lines... the HS-82MG's vs the HS-85MG's ... the 82's don't use a ball bearing, they just have their nylon case, so I'd have recommended the 85's

Smoggie

The 85's wont fit the 48" EF Edge, they are too big. It's got servo wells sized for the smaller HS65MG or similar sized 'micro' servo. The Turnigy i linked fit perfectly or the Savox SH 0255 or 0257 also fit fine.

RandyDSok

The 85's wont fit the 48" EF Edge, they are too big. It's got servo wells sized for the smaller HS65MG or similar sized 'micro' servo. The Turnigy i linked fit perfectly or the Savox SH 0255 or 0257 also fit fine.

Tony and I got a little off topic about a previous conversation we had... so thanks for pointing that out.

RandyDSok

Congrats on the new purchase... :)

Just a suggestion... perhaps "assembly" may be a better term. I know others say "build" as well... and it really doesn't matter as long as others know what you are talking about.... but to me build is more of when you take an actual kit, put together all of the balsa and other pieces, then cover, install hardware and assemble everything.

So you build a kit ( like the one pictured below ) and assemble an ARF.... and since we all will crash them at some point... then rebuild them later after the re-kitting :D

super-chipmunk.jpg

super-chipmunk.jpg

Blade_flyer

Yeah, I was a little hasty in my last post. I was surfing the forum on the phone while waiting for the wife, so I didn't take time to phrase it correctly. I see you are in Norman. I lived in Midwest City in the early 80's. Made many trips to Norman. I used to hang out a lot at Stanley Draper and Lake Thunderbird. I sometimes miss OK..I really liked it there.

Bud

Blade_flyer

I may start flying this on 3s. I ordered it with the Torque 2814T/820 motor with an Airboss 45A ESC. I was wondering what the best prop would be to run on this as a sport flyer. I have plenty of 3s 3200 20c batteries and I figured I would fly it on 3s for a spell before moving up to 4s. Any suggestions?

Bud

RandyDSok

I may start flying this on 3s. I ordered it with the Torque 2814T/820 motor with an Airboss 45A ESC. I was wondering what the best prop would be to run on this as a sport flyer. I have plenty of 3s 3200 20c batteries and I figured I would fly it on 3s for a spell before moving up to 4s. Any suggestions?

Bud

Follow the recommendations on the motor's webpage...

Recommended prop: 14 x 7 or 13 x 6.5 on 3S

Top Bottom