Prop Extra 260 Mini

Tony

Staff member
I know, but others would have had questions on why I chose the servos that I did. That is what I was answering.

RandyDSok

I know, but others would have had questions on why I chose the servos that I did. That is what I was answering.

Ah.. makes sense... I should have been more obvious on that point at the first of the post then... I'll try to think of that next time it happens

Randy

Tony

Staff member
Well I got the electronics for the plane today. Motor and ESC anyway. I also ordered 4 servos just to get it over $50 for free shipping. So, I got about 2.5 servos for free lmao. Anyway, this motor that I purchased for the plane is a little small. I thought it would be bigger than it is. I'm almost sure that I will release the magic smoke in this one. BTW, it's a 1300kv Exceed Rocket motor. Right now, I have a 10x4.7 prop on it, but I just ordered an 11x5.5, the suggested prop for the plane. Yes, the plane, not the motor hehe. Can you smell what the Tony is cookin'? hahaha

And yes, I had to make another order, so this one will not be in the air anytime soon, again. I ordered some dubro kwik links for the servos since I can't stand the ones that they send with it. They want you to use a nut to hold them on, and only use threadlock to hold it on. I don't think so. I will order ones that I know will not come off. I also ordered the 3/4" tail wheel and the collars for that. And there was some other stuff in there as well. Randy, your servo arms are on the way. I didn't forget hehe.

So, back to the plane. I ordered some blind nuts for the motor mount so that I didn't have to use actual nuts back there that are a pain to tighten. One I get everything in, I will hit all of the screws with thread lock, and secure all of the electronics. Why am I not doing that now? Because I want to use the ESC and Rx to help with the CoG of the plane. The less weight I have to add to this thing, the better.

Speaking of the CoG, there is a 1.05" area that it says you can run in. From 2.30" to 3.35". Now, for a plane this small, that is a HUGE CoG range. My 50" Edge only has a range of 10mm suggested. Either way, I will find it. I'm going to set the plane up right dead center in the CoG range, and try it out. If I have to hold a lot of elevator or no elevator when inverted, I will adjust. If I only have to hold a little down elevator while inverted, then it's perfect. Yes, this is how I test my CoG. No better way IMO than flipping your bird.

Stay tuned, more to come.

RandyDSok

Ok...

You need to first test the motor etc with the prop you've got ... I've got a watt meter and so does Louis. As long as we know when to do it and can get there... we can test for what amps you are pulling and then estimate if a 11x5.5 will help let the smoke out or not.

As for the 11x5.5 prop... I'll give you two guess's as to who may have one you can have and then replace later. You can probably guess two seperate people and both be right, but I can only speak for one of them... LOL

Randy

Tony

Staff member
haha, it's all good on the prop. I have needed to do some prop testing for a while, and it's only a couple bucks. either way, it's on it's way here along with the rest of the stuff to get the plane in the air. Then, it's on to the next project, the Bipe. As for the watt meter, I will take you guys up on that when this plane is ready to hit the air. I have not even soldered on the Deans connector yet on the ESC. Still a bit of work to do. And, i think I'm going to have to run the 2200mah and not the 1800mah battery for extra nose weight. Maybe I should order a bigger motor hehe.

Tony

Staff member
Received all of the parts from Tower today. I'm now soldering the Deans connector to the ESC and I will fire it up when I'm done. The new quick connectors are now on the servos, and I just need to center everything. Once all of that is done, I will put the nose back on, install the prop, and it's ready for flight. Oh, and I also have to install the new tail wheel. Easy.

I will do a test flight on this plane unless it sells first. I would rather not crash it when it's for sale lol. That would suck.

Tony

Staff member
Okay, the motor and ESC are in, everything is bound and centered, nose cone is back on, tail wheel is drying right now, and I did give it a test run. The motor is making a funny noise, and is getting rather warm, quite quickly. I'm going to chock this one up to lack of airflow on the heat, but the noise bothers me. That is the only issue so far with the plane. with the 11x5.5 prop on there, it has more than enough power to pull the plane out of my hand, do verticals are not an issue. The servos are decently fast, they just don't center that well. I will be testing these out when I fly it.

If you guys want a nice looking plane, this one is for sale as it sits now for two bills. If I crash it, it will be worth more :D.

Tony

Staff member
Alright, the plane is mostly done. I have to install the velcro for the battery, ESC, and Rx, and it will be done. It's hanging on the ceiling right behind the Edge 540T. NEXT!!!

Tony

Staff member
If all goes well today, I will get to maiden this plane at the field. If I get it on video, it will have to be with the crappy glasses camera though unless there is someone there that can hold my camera. But, I'm not so sure that this one will see the air. I'm thinking the motor is too small for the size of the plane. It's got more than enough power to pull unlimited vertical and hover, but the motor gets quite warm very quickly. So, before I fly it, I'm going to be doing some testing on it. If the testing goes well, then we are going to throw it into the air and see what happens.

Top Bottom