Batteries EXPERIMENT Glowing 1000 degree KNIFE VS LiPo BATTERY LITHIUM POLYMER

Tony

Staff member
DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME!!! Ever wondered what would happen if you put a red hot knife through a LiPo battery? Wonder no more, This is what happens!!!

YouTube

Tony

Staff member
I actually meant to mention that in the video. The grill that I was using is completely trashed. It was actually in my scrap pile to head over the scales. But, the grates are good, it's fire proof and was perfect for this "experiment" lmao. This is the grill that used to be against my house right where I slammed the 150 into it and under a cover. Don't ask why I put a cover on that grill lmao. But, I have a better gas grill and a smoker that I use for food. lol.

rjhenry

Ya, I can't remember why but we talked about grills once before, I knew ya had more than one but I still had to say it lol

Smoggie

Good video. It's a similar result to what I've got when I've chopped a lipo with an axe or knocked a nail through. It's a little frustrating to be honest, I originally hoped for a fireball like you see in some videos, but 99% of the time all you get is a lot of white smoke and maybe, if you are lucky, a small flicker of flame. Yet i've seen batteries go up in flames spectacularly after a crash?

I think maybe the fact that a lipo is old and has very high IR might make them less volatile. This could explain why sometimes in a crash they burst into flames yet it's so hard to reproduce that same spectacular result with old batteries.

Tony, if you want to get 'pyrotechnics' you might try deliberately over charging an old battery... Stand well back!

Tony

Staff member
I have had that thought Steve. I won't do it to a battery of this size though lol. Need to make a cage for my camera.

Top Bottom