450 ESC Governor Settings..

Rob Lancaster

I was setting my new HobbyWing Platinum V4 ESC.
As I was going through the instructions again, I noticed these discrepancies. (highlighted in yellow)
Which should I set the throttle at for the Store Governor function , 50% or between 70% and 90%??

Attachments

• Govenersetting - Copy (1).pdf
    890.7 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Geena

Staff member
After setting the ESC to governor store, set your throttle to 50%. I like to set the entire throttle curve for normal mode to 50%, and use throttle hold to start and stop the motor. Once you`ve done that, hover the helicopter at 50% throttle for 30-40 seconds. Land, hit throttle hold and unplug the battery from the ESC. Your governor is set, and now you can change your throttle curves to whatever your want them to be.

RandyDSok

I don't think there are discrepancies in that doc as much as a poor way to describe or define what they are talking about. One area is about "RPM Standardization" and the other is about "Speed-governing"... I think they are talking about two different ideas. Since I do not know the first thing about the subject... you get lucky and I won't be trying to describe the differences... :D

Beyond all of that... I'd just recommend to do what Geena recommends... since I don't try to argue with someone that does know what they are talking about.

Rob Lancaster

I wasn't sure the attachment would work, but I see it did..
Ok,, yeah I did do the standard set-up as per Ginna and all was/is well. No problem with the governor and all that.
I'm with you Randy, what's the difference between the two paragraphs? Pretty much nothing,, that's what I was after, thanks again all.
Oh and Geena, I like my new iSTD Q8 Max charger, thanks for another good tip!

RandyDSok

Randy, what's the difference between the two paragraphs? Pretty much nothing,

I'm not so sure about that... I think we have a translation error coming into play. The differences may be minor but without knowing what it may be can only be guessed at.

RPM is easy ... it's rounds per minute and would relate just to the rotational speed of the motor. The one that is in question is "speed-governing" .... this could mean "air-speed" or "ground-speed" as two possible definitions as well as other possible ones I can't guess at... the two I just mentioned were wild guessing and mostly just examples to show some potentially different things from the rpm one.

Rob Lancaster

I had a feeling the RPM speed was the output shaft speed. Nice to have confirmation.
Today it was calm so I was playing around with the ESC's governer. Yeah I like the Gov/store mode best. So I just reset to Gov/store mode and redo the Gov/store first start procedure as per Geena's advice. Easy peezee perfect every time.

Ok folks, time for my overall assessment of this 40 amp ESC and the 60 amp ESC I originally installed on the aircraft. (HobbyWing Platinum V4)
The way I fly and with my rather mild settings in the TX, I was able to get the same performance from the new 40 amp ESC. But that was with a bit higher settings in the TX than with the 60 amp ESC. The 60 amp ESC I had to downtune it, it was way to aggressive for my capabilities. I'll be staying with the 40 ampere one and tune it up a bit.

Out of 4 packs flown, and the ESC's soft cutoff set at 3.7v, I get the SAME flight times of 4.5 to 5 minutes, not a second longer. The temp on the motor does seem a little cooler as well. Oh and the packs have an IR of 2.4- 3 mOms...

Final note: I wuv my new li'll iSDT Q8 Max charger! Thanks again Geena!!!! Good tip!!

RandyDSok

As long as your motor is not trying to pull more amperage than the ESC ( or batteries ) is rated to handle... you should be fine. When I have a choice, I use an 80% rule to rate what my power supply ( ie the ESC and batteries but I'll just say ESC only from here out ) can provide verses what the device ( motor ) can ask of them. So if my motor asked for around 32a of current, a 40a ESC should easily provide that without having to worry about burning up the ESC.

Remember your power supply ( ESC here ) does not push amps... it provides the amps the device ( the motor ) asks of it. If the power supply is asked to provide more current than it's rated for ( amps ) it will try but more than likely it will either burn out or if it has power protection, it will just turn off.

Rob Lancaster

As long as your motor is not trying to pull more amperage than the ESC ( or batteries ) is rated to handle... you should be fine. When I have a choice, I use an 80% rule to rate what my power supply ( ie the ESC and batteries but I'll just say ESC only from here out ) can provide verses what the device ( motor ) can ask of them. So if my motor asked for around 32a of current, a 40a ESC should easily provide that without having to worry about burning up the ESC.

Remember your power supply ( ESC here ) does not push amps... it provides the amps the device ( the motor ) asks of it. If the power supply is asked to provide more current than it's rated for ( amps ) it will try but more than likely it will either burn out or if it has power protection, it will just turn off.

Yup, gotcha for sure.
And today the weather was nice again, so I flew 4 more packs. Just practicing hovering and some little sways.
Note today, all 4 packs only had a 4 minute flight time. Soft cut off set at 3.7v. Just noting................

Other than that my back is KILLING me again! Oh man, all I did is run a little Romex in a wall. Well these wires are going to be hanging out for a while. Not to worry, the hot is capped off.

Attachments

• IMG_0184.JPG
    IMG_0184.JPG
    160.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0185.JPG
    IMG_0185.JPG
    185.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Rob Lancaster

While we're on the ESC topic, I have another question.
I'm drooling over this gem. Align Trex 500XT combo.
It comes with this ESC, ( RCE-BL80A Brushless ESC) This ESC can be used with the Align ASBOX multifunction program box. Hey guys, that program box looks exactly like my HobbyWing HW-BO2013 program box... Can I use my HW program box to program the Align ESC?

Last edited:

Rob Lancaster

While we're on the ESC topic, I have another question.
I'm drooling over this gem. Align Trex 500XT combo.
It comes with this ESC, ( RCE-BL80A Brushless ESC) This ESC can be used with the Align ASBOX multifunction program box. Hey guys, that program box looks exactly like my HobbyWing HW-BO2013 program box... Can I use my HW program box to program the Align ESC?

Ok I heard from Amain Hobby and they said that the RCE-BL80A ESC was a HobbyWing made ESC complete with a good Platinum style governor.. So YES my HobbyWing program box will work with these great ESCs. Hurray!!

Top Bottom