enjoy my 2 minutes of infamy flying errrrr trying to fly my mCPx today

Morelight

Fearless Freep
Thought it was my turn to start going after Gaba's "master crasher" title. In my defense the first part of the video this morning was very cold and the skid has one pin left, the canopy looks like the VC shot the hell out of it, after crashing into the frozen yellow grass :stupid:

I have bulletproof skids coming thankfully, and 2 more canopy's. The settings are what Tony posted for the dx6i for the mCPx. I wasn't sure about the gyro setting, so I put it at INH. So with this bird being BNF, and I rebound it this morning just to be sure, why on earth is she moving around so much and not a nice easy hover??

One thing I'm not at all sure of is battery placement. How can I easily check COG is slightly forward??, with such a tiny heli?

and now for the viewing pleasure of all those who have felt the pain of failure after failure when it should be easy peasy flying, I present :

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qnR_zakrtyQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by a moderator:

Tony

Staff member
If you have not checked out my flight school, click on the home tab and watch them. First rule I teach when you are ready to take off the ground is keep that tail pointed towards you. No matter what, always tail in.

It looks as if there is some left cyclic in the swash. check the swash and make sure it's level when you plug the battery in. With a flybarless heli, you do not want to touch the cyclic until you lift off the ground, or you will have a blade strike.

Second thing I teach in my flight school is collective control. Try to keep that thing about 3' (1 meter) off the ground and in one stable spot. Keeping it there with a little wind will gain you a lot of collective management skills. Hope this helps.

As for the CoG, don't worry about it with a stock heli. It can't be far enough off that the gyro can't compensate for it. Gotta love flybarless :biggrin1:

Morelight

Fearless Freep
and here I thought you guys were going to thank me for a few laughs lol...

Yes I have been studying and simming a lot. I've watched John Salt's training vids http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/how-to-fly-rc-helicopters.html, and of course your course Tony. I've watched them all several times.

I don't really have enough room in my apt to not strike something with it. Open floor space is a little over 7x7. In the sim, I just pop up the bird with the collective into a nice hover 4-5 or so, and then proceed to ff or fff :encouragement:. You are right about the left side movement, and I'm hoping its not the swash. I have the radio with pretty much all center trim, so maybe I'll take a closer look at the servo positions on power up tomorrow.

I am concerned about the package to the farm though. There has been no update on the tracking site, and considering what it cost to ship, pretty put out about it. Frigging robbery to ship stuff out of Canada these days. You would think neighbours would get better rates. :puppy_dog_eyes: Better days ahead. T-Rex is coming to town.

Tony

Staff member
Last I checked, it was in Illinois on it's way here. It's not here yet, hope it gets here soon though. For your sake and mine lol. As for the swash, how are you plugging in the battery? You should lay the heli on it's side, and plug it in. When you do this, it will allow the gyro to initialize a little better than if you plug it in, then set it down. Just something to make sure of.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Also.. Just my 2cents.. Dont use any trim.. See at initialize procedure on a flat surface without disturbing the heli at all, if your swash is level.

Lee

FFF is easier than hovering. On the sim can you hover in all orientations? tail in, side on right and left and nose in? Until you master the hover in all orientations both sim and real don't move to the next step. Its easy to get distracted, so spend half an hour on the sim hovering in all orientations, then let lose and do what you want. :D

Morelight

Fearless Freep
FFF is easier than hovering. On the sim can you hover in all orientations? tail in, side on right and left and nose in? Until you master the hover in all orientations both sim and real don't move to the next step. Its easy to get distracted, so spend half an hour on the sim hovering in all orientations, then let lose and do what you want. :D

no problems in the sim Lee. I started with co-ax and moved quickly to fp, then cp all the way up to 700fbl. I practiced first with tail on of course, and lots of crashes then. Now I practice all orientations, especially side -on and nose in, my favorite. I do hours of hover practice that way and now do fff as fast as the heli will go in clockwise and counter cw circuits, bank turns, dives tail-in and nose-in, forward and reverse loops, and aileron rolls from both sides.

I'm putting in the time, and sooner or later it will click. Maybe its crash/repair anxiety.

Thanks for the support and comments you guys.

Lee

I'm the same Vince. On the sim i can throw the helis around like nobodys business and never crash. But.... once i get my real toys out, and think of the $$$$ if it crashes, I'm not so brave LOL :D
But keep up the good work. That little MCPX is what gave me the stones to flip my 600 for the first time.
See avatar to the left :D

Top Bottom