Spektrum Dx6, 8 Or10?

Capn Pete

OK. Time for a stupid question. Is the only difference between the DX6, and 8 the number of channels it will operate? i.e.- DX6= 6 channels, DX8= 8 channels? Or are there other differences in function? How many channels would you recommend when flying planes with flaps and retracts, too?
Stupid question #2. XK and Spectrum are different protocols, right?

Smoggie

yes, XK and Spektrum are different and non-compatible.

Depends which versions of the DX6 and DX8 you are talking about, both have gone though a few changes over the years. But if you are comparing transmitters of the same age and 'generation' then there are more differences than just channels. The DX8 for instance has a rechargeable battery as standard where the DX6 has single use disposable batteries (the rechargeable battery is an extra). The transmitters with more channels usually also have more advanced programming options though few would ever use the extra features. The higher channel transmitters also have 'sliders' on the rear that can be used to operate extra channels and are useful for some types of model, especially sailplanes (the DX6 doesnt have sliders). The case on the higher cost transmitter is styled a little differently and might (depending on model) have rubber grips rather than hard plastic. The higher end transmitters also have dual antenna diversity for better reception but that feature has worked down to the DX6 now.

For a plane with flaps and retracts the absolute minimum you would need is 6 channels. It would be better to have 8 channels to allow dual channel assignment to ailerons and flaps (makes setup and mixing easier) and for larger scale models an extra channel for dual elevator servos is nice to have too.

Capn Pete

Many thanks. That makes sense and helps alot. I would have to assume, also, that someone venturing into planes may want to have a TX you can grow with. Hmmm.

Smoggie

The old saying in the RC hobby is always buy the very best transmitter that you can afford.

No one ever had to upgrade transmitters because the old one had too many channels, but with modern models with features like retracts, flaps dual servos all over the place and so on it's quite easy to run out of channels. It really depends where your ambitions lay. If you want to fly larger more complex models then you really cant have too many channels. For smaller simple models 6 is more than enough.

liquid1

A little bit off subject, I been meaning to ask why the DX7 become obselete it’s what I started on just had a few planes and helicopters setup on it, My trainer at the field run futaba for his planes but really liked the DX7 when I showed up at field. This was back in 2007 or so. I barley touched the surface with the DX7 now having the DX9 Black edition it just looks better and the voices help and are cool. With the i 12 comming out I suspect someone will be able to get a DX9 for a deal soon.

Smoggie

No particular single single reason why they replaced the old DX7. Just progress really, to stay competitive with other products that came on the market. You would be hard pressed to find any 'technology' product that was not updated in over ten years. The newer generation transmitters not only have different styling but various upgrades and additions over the old style DX7 e.g. DSMX protocol, voice, telemetry, SD card compatibility, dual diversity antenna, more advanced programming, 250 model memory, wireless trainer, side sliders ... the list is long.

liquid1

Smoggie, Thanks you make good points and it makes sense I forgot about the 20 models I had 10 at one time I really like the new Black edition DX9 just got to get more time to use it , learn it better

Top Bottom