Digital Caliper

Heliman450

Hi all, below is a photo of my digital caliper in use with my new attachments for checking the length of links. It's a fantastic idea, but remember that the ball links are bigger on one side for a better fit and are only supposed to fit the ball one way. My Align ball links are identified with an 'A' on the side that's supposed to be on the outside.

When measuring, I always have both ends the same way, however, depending upon the orientation of the servo to the link it could mean a quarter or half turn on one end to achieve the fit. Nevertheless, it makes for much easier sizing of the links.

Digital Caliper Small.JPG

Digital Caliper Small.JPG

Tony

Staff member
Very interesting. Post up some up close photos of what exactly the parts are that you are using. Did you just drill it or can you purchase it?

Smoggie

I use an identical digital caliper to get my links the same length blade tracking is pretty much guaranteed if you get the links identical. I just poke the jaws of the caliper through the holes in the links and measure to the inner edge of the hole.

Heliman450

I use an identical digital caliper to get my links the same length blade tracking is pretty much guaranteed if you get the links identical. I just poke the jaws of the caliper through the holes in the links and measure to the inner edge of the hole.

Hi Steve, I was using it the same way. I've seen various ways for the manuals to show the sizes, but this way all you need to do is set the centre to centre value, drop it onto the tapered pins and there you are.

I saw them when I was buying something else and just couldn't resist.

Smoggie

Yes, it's an interesting gizmo. The way i tend to look at it is that it's not the absolute length value that's critical to a high degree of precision, but rather getting them all the same. To get centre to centre I just take the length that I measure to the inside and add a link hole diameter to it. But dont get me wrong, the tool looks interesting and would be a useful addition to the toolbox.

Top Bottom