General Did the Spektrum AR7200BX cause my Align 600 DFC to crash?

helicc16

the Smoothie Pilot
I don't really know where to stick this thread in because I am not even sure if the gyro is the culprit.

My Trex 600 DFC had a little run-in with the concrete last Saturday.

I was testing a new pitch curve, changing from Align recommended -5° @ Low stick 5° Mid 10° High to a straight pitch curve -10° Low 0° Mid 10° High. After the change, the heli started to become more sensitive to cyclic and collective pitch input. After flying heli for a minute, I landed it to check for loose parts. Tried to spool it up again but it would not take off. After two attempts, I powered off the unit and motor.

Even after a battery change , the bird would just sit on the ground with the motor spin at full speed. Believe I still had some cyclic control. This time, however, I noticed a strange noise. Then all of a sudden it shot up uncontrollably into the air. At this point I think I had lost all controls . In the moment of panic, I managed to hit throttle hold, sending my beloved bird free falling toward the asphalt.

The damage was not catastrophic: landing skid, brand new 6S battery pack , a cyclic servo. The blades have some minor chips. Could have been worse.

Remember a new member on here posted a question regarding lost pitch control with the very same gyro. I didn't think it would happen to me.

Please share your thoughts?

pvolcko

Odd. I run two helis on that controller (300 and a 550) and haven't yet had a hint of an issue with it on either.

Was there any binding occuring during testing? Before spooling up did you have full collective control? What were are powering it with? Separate battery or a BEC fed off the main battery(ies)? Dual power inputs or just a single (any evidence of chafing or wear on those leads)?

I have heard that this controller can have issues at 5V source power and that 6V is recommended when possible (I run 5V without issue, so far).

Tony

Staff member
When you set the BX up, did you do it with a linear pitch curve, or one to ONLY allow -5?

helicc16

the Smoothie Pilot
Originally, I set up the heli with Align recommended sports pitch curve with -5 ° at low stick. As I said, I am not too sure about the gyro being the culprit. I think something came loose and started to bind up the head assembly. This could explain the strange noise I heard before the heli went haywire. Once the head assembly broke free from the bind, the pitch jumped from zero ° to maximum angle, catapulting the bird into the air. Should have trusted my ears.

I wish I would have video-taped it. That would have made the investigation easier. In fact, from now on, I'll start to video every test flight.

The bird has been fixed and now again air worthy, not to my complete satisfaction, though. I have couple questions that I will post in separate threads. You might be wonder " Why does this guy always have questions?". Sorry, guys. There are more where that comes from. I am a question guy. LOL

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
Post all the questions you have bro, there is only one way to learn. We are happy to help.

Westy

LEGEND
HELICC16......

You know what .... we al started somewhere and the more questions we ask ... the more people we meet, the more answers we get and the more questions we have....

Ask to your hearts content! we are all here to learn, teach, help and have fun.

This is a great community we have here and each member has a great RC journey to share!

BRING IT ON! ;)

Tony

Staff member
I dare you to try to stump us with your rc related questions!!!!!!!!!!! :chuckles:

If you do, I will send you a free decal pack!!!

Lee

Every single flight i make is filmed with my hat cam, just in case something should happen. I once lost the tail on my old 250. From the video a deduced the trajectory of the parts as they flew off. From the crash site, i walked off in the direction the video showed, and low and behold, even in the thick grass and the tiny size of the 250 parts, i found all but one piece :D

Tony

Staff member
I tried that to find my camera on an F-117 that I crashed, and never did find it. If it was HD, I may have, but not on the SD camera lol. I was lucky to find the battery, that thing hit friggin hard!

helicc16

the Smoothie Pilot
I dare you to try to stump us with your rc related questions!!!!!!!!!!! :chuckles:

If you do, I will send you a free decal pack!!!

Challenge accepted. :biggrin1:

One of the reasons I am so addicted to this hobby is that it is so brain – stimulating. There is always something new to learn, putting new wrinkles on my brain every day.

Last edited:

Ken Jackson

Questions are cheaper then crashes! I set up my servos once but wasn't at center stick. Funny it tried to bury itself in the ground. Oops. Didn't have a clue what happened till I asked? If your really embarrassed you can do a private message to someone.

I agree with you about the brain stimulation. I can honestly say I can't remember the last time I felt bored. Lol

Ken

Top Bottom