General Devo 7 Tx

Capn Pete

I forgot one thing that might make it more clear. Normally you can use any TX/RX in your heli/plane as long it not is an integrated flightcontoller as in i.g.WLTOYS.
This means you can use your DEVO 7TX if you have a compatible RX in any heli
I haven't gotten to the point where I'm going to build from scratch, yet. (Still working 6 days/week). But would like to do so eventually. How do you shop for an RX to make sure it's compatible with any given TX? Where do you go to find this stuff? What does ESC refer to?

Tony

Staff member
I'm not sure on the Devo, but on spektrum, you just make sure it is a DSMX Rx. Or the older format, DSM2. I'm sure Devo has the same kind of naming like that as well.

Quangzu

I just did a quick search on google "devo 7 Tx receivers"
There is a lot of info about the Tx and compatible Rx among other interesting info "out there"

Admiral

Hi Capn Pete, it is a mine field when you start out decisions that you make now can influence what happens for the rest of your time in the hobby.

1. The mode you fly ( Throttle on left Throttle on the right) choose the one that is most popular in the country you live in. Better for availability of equipment and support.

2. Brand of Transmitter/Receiver that you are going to use, everybody has preferences but any of the name brands are good solid performers, I use Spektrum mainly because of the Bind & Fly models I could buy when I was starting out.

3. A good SIM (Computer RC simulator) again everybody has favorites, most of the free ones are rubbish but the commercial ones start from about $50 to $200+

4. Buy and fly the best you can afford, cheap is not cheap in the long run. I recently met a guy that had given up on helicopter (Too Hard) I invited him to come and fly with out group, when he came he was flying an old Honey Bee and not doing well, when I visited his home he had about 20 helicopters about 5 or 6 good quality Blades & Align I asked him why he wasn't flying them and he said the old ones are expendable I don't want to prang the good ones. He is now flying the good ones and progressing in leaps and bounds.

5. Don't rush it, enjoy the journey, just because your mate flies a SAB Goblin does not mean you have too, get component with what you have before advancing to more expensive models.

I am mentioning these items as they are pretty well a list of the mistakes I made when coming back into the hobby after many years away.

Capn Pete

I just did a quick search on google "devo 7 Tx receivers"
There is a lot of info about the Tx and compatible Rx among other interesting info "out there"
Thanx. I will do same when I get off work. Dunno why I didn't think to google the devo. Duh.

Capn Pete

Hi Capn Pete, it is a mine field when you start out decisions that you make now can influence what happens for the rest of your time in the hobby.

1. The mode you fly ( Throttle on left Throttle on the right) choose the one that is most popular in the country you live in. Better for availability of equipment and support.

2. Brand of Transmitter/Receiver that you are going to use, everybody has preferences but any of the name brands are good solid performers, I use Spektrum mainly because of the Bind & Fly models I could buy when I was starting out.

3. A good SIM (Computer RC simulator) again everybody has favorites, most of the free ones are rubbish but the commercial ones start from about $50 to $200+

4. Buy and fly the best you can afford, cheap is not cheap in the long run. I recently met a guy that had given up on helicopter (Too Hard) I invited him to come and fly with out group, when he came he was flying an old Honey Bee and not doing well, when I visited his home he had about 20 helicopters about 5 or 6 good quality Blades & Align I asked him why he wasn't flying them and he said the old ones are expendable I don't want to prang the good ones. He is now flying the good ones and progressing in leaps and bounds.

5. Don't rush it, enjoy the journey, just because your mate flies a SAB Goblin does not mean you have too, get component with what you have before advancing to more expensive models.

I am mentioning these items as they are pretty well a list of the mistakes I made when coming back into the hobby after many years away.
Many thanx. I am going to follow your advice. I have some repair work to do on the Master CP. Once that's ready to fly again, I will get that down 'pat' before moving into anything else. My biggest regret is not having gotten into this hobby years ago. Better late than never!

RandyDSok

Thanx. I will do same when I get off work. Dunno why I didn't think to google the devo. Duh.

If what I'm after is just information and know specifically what I'm looking for.... I always start with an internet search first... or if it's product info, the products website followed by an internet search. Most of the time if it's relatively common info, you'll have the info long before you get an answer on a forum.... But when I'm also looking for other people's experiences, opinions and perspectives along with the info... you can't beat a forum.

Capn Pete

Very true. Just got new tail rotor for Master cp today. BUT, it takes a tiny hex driver. Very tiny. Now I have yo find that. This hobby is a real tinker's hobby. Was going to check the feathering shaft, but it takes the same tool. So once again I sit and wait.

murankar

Staff member
Since I have been in the hobby for a day or two now this is how I would tackle "the what to buy" options:

Radio: Spektrum hands down, A huge part of the market has either used or is using specktrum. Most Sims will have Spektrum support natively. If Specktrum does not fit for you then your options are Futaba, Graupner hands down. This first radio wont be the last at ths point but it will be a long haul work horse. If your ready for the plunge and the cost then go with either Jeti or VControl, htese two radios are really advanced and I wuold not recommend them if your just starting out, more so if it is going to be your first radio. All of the radio listed will do all air vehicles with out issue. Some more than others but in the end they will handle an air vehicle.

Sim: Since Spectrum is a fool proof no joke go to I would go with Pheonix or Real flight. Following that I would look at "Next RC" because it is cross platform, meaning it runs on linux and Mac natively out of the box. Again a no brainer if you pass on the first two. Next RC does not really support airplanes. It does however support helicopters and quads (fpv and AV platforms).

gyro: either Ikon or brain, most pilots out at the field will have either used it or is using it. Following that would be (in no particular order)3Digi, Spirit, Skookum, VBar Neo (gyro only model). Out of all of these gyros the Neo will handle all air vehicles depending on what your willing to spend. I am not sure to what limits the other have in regaurds to all air vehicles. My claim on this is on the gyro itself not the RX, really I state this for the quads more than anything. The Neo has an add-on called v-quad which allows you to use the neo as a quad flight controller. I am not sure about the other gyros, most people use beta flight capable boards for a quad gyro.

As for using the REVO for a sim all you may need it the USB dongle that you wire your REVO RX to. Hope I gave you some good info to look at.

Quangzu

RE SIM:

I have the Real Flight 7,5 that came with a Tactic 610 TX.
I have tried it a coupl of times but for me it not work at all (feeling).
When I like to have "stick training" (not 3D) I just take my V911 or V912 out in the wind. Feels so more realisic (since it is real).
Of course it is a peronal thing, but so far I am not happy training in SIM but maybe I have to get a deeper look at the setups.

/Q

murankar

Staff member
The sim does need some tuning for it to be more realish.

You will need to get into the settings and adjust those. You can add wind into the sim. You can also add turbulence.

Quangzu

I hope it is possible to" improve " the fealistic feeling but to be honest I have not spent so much time looking deeper into it.
With the "stocksetup settings flying Planes an Quads work a bit okay but the Helis just fly like they want (quite strange

Quangzu

Hmm... understand ( belive) but using the TX (Tacktic) received with the SIM I not have possibilitys to make individual model setups. Is it possible to do it directly i RF or do I need to connect my "normal TX, DX6i, Turnigy 9x and 9XR (Corona and Orange Module) to RF?

Top Bottom