General Devo 7 Tx

RandyDSok

Typically the various 2.4Ghz radio's are proprietary with each only working with their own ( or compatible 3rd party ) equipment. Think of it as each having their own "language". There are now some multi-protocol transmitters coming out that will work with many other brands receivers... but they've just now started coming out.

Capn Pete

Typically the various 2.4Ghz radio's are proprietary with each only working with their own ( or compatible 3rd party ) equipment. Think of it as each having their own "language". There are now some multi-protocol transmitters coming out that will work with many other brands receivers... but they've just now started coming out.
I've been trying to find an AnyLink, but to no avail.

RandyDSok

I've been trying to find an AnyLink, but to no avail.

Anylink is a method to use any transmitter that is compatible to it with an Anylink receiver, but it's still proprietary. It connects through the transmitter's training port and the unit binds only to Anylink receivers.

Capn Pete

Where can you find Anylink/receiver? Can those be installed on most any heli? Is it really worth the trouble?

RandyDSok

I never saw the need to switch from one proprietary 2.4Ghz protocol to another like the Anylink....

For the Blade Nano as one example, it's an all in one board, you can't replace the receiver so you are still stuck using a DSM/DSMX radio no matter what. Besides that, there is no advantage of going from one 2.4Ghz type to the other unless you may be using an old radio that wasn't 2.4Ghz to start with and then it's probably only worth it if the old radio was full featured enough to warrant it.

If you want cross compatibility .... then wait for the multi-protocol radios to get better and then get one. If you want something with some quality, go with a name brand such as Futaba or Spectrum etc. and then just get the compatible receivers for that brand.

Quangzu

Capn Pete, as you know I am quite new in the hobby but I belive that it is clever to decide (choose) one way to go based on your fleet and kind of flying interest and what you want to achive in future.
There is too many brands with more or less the same functions/capacity. Choose your TX/RX based on your need, not based on what other people buy .
I have Spectrum Dx6i, KDS 7x2, TGY 9x (with Corona module), TGY 9xr DSM, (Orange module). Except the Dx6i I got them included in second hand buys.
At the moment the DX6i is my favorite but I realize I soon will need more than 6 channels and then i will start using TGY. The KDS 7x2 unfortunately not offers goood enough programming possibilitys ( to old) but I kind of like it :)

Capn Pete

That's a good point. As I am newer than you are, my learning curve has been steep. the more I learn, the more I realize I don't know! The $20 coaxial that got me hooked has cost me hundreds so far! I do need to get a plan so I don't have such a diverse fleet. I would like to get a scale model soon. Must get my act together on what I have now, first. I have been thinking of the V22 Osprey from Banana Hobby. We'll see what Santa says when the time comes. Thanks for your input!

Quangzu

That's a good point. As I am newer than you are, my learning curve has been steep. the more I learn, the more I realize I don't know! The $20 coaxial that got me hooked has cost me hundreds so far! I do need to get a plan so I don't have such a diverse fleet. I would like to get a scale model soon. Must get my act together on what I have now, first. I have been thinking of the V22 Osprey from Banana Hobby. We'll see what Santa says when the time comes. Thanks for your input!

Capn Pete, I belive exactly what you are going throguh, I bought my first heli (mini Coax) in March this year. Then I went on to the 911, 912, 913, 977 without having any strategy, just buy and fly beliving change heli would make me fly better. Then I came to the "crossroad" and understood that I need to start build (setup) helis from the "ground" to ever be a decent pilot and have a strategy for my spendings and learnings. Luckely I like building and modify all "tech" things and have some IT background (TX are simple computers today). This have made it easy for me to buy second hand from local websites and get it to work.

It is hard to give you advise since we not know eachother in real but right know it would be, sit down in the sofa, take a deep breeth and decide if you really want to go for it.
That is how I did it and continue was one of my best decissions in my life.
But, countinue flying the FP:s 911, 913 will also be fun as a relax :) if thatv is your decission

If you have further concerns I will always be happy to help you. the best I can.
The decission has of course to be yours, but I was close to "give up" as well but I am happy I not did.

/Q

Capn Pete

I jumped the gun buying the Walkera Master CP. I thought I was ready for CP, but found out I have a lot more to learn. I had a lot of consternation over not doing well with CP. However, not even close to giving up. I'll get some more stick time on the 913 (it may be FP, but is a load of fun and am thinking of adding a camera to it). Just unsure which system to stick with. I have the DEVO 7 TX now and so I may just have to stick with Walkera. However, I see a lot of guys on here with TREX , Goblin and others I can't even pronounce. Are systems like Futaba and Spectrum compatible with many different types? I'm so new, I just don't know enough to make that crossroads decision right now. The only thing I do know is that I have to get proficient with the Master CP, then worry about what comes next. I'd like to have a scale model next, I think.

Quangzu

Capn Pete, I exactelly recognize what you say, I have been there myself :)
When reading forums some people make quite complicated explanations on a simple question hard to understand for us Noobs.
I am really not an expert but will try to make it simple without involve a lot of "protocol talk"
The main thing is that the transmitter (TX =remote control) need to "speak" with the reciver (RX ) in the helicopter or plane. I have discovered that most of the different brands of TX and RX seem to have their own protocolls (languages) like if I would be the TX speaking Swedish to you as the RX, then you would probably not understand anything :) This means that you have to have the same brand of TX and RX. There are some exceptions but I do not have 100% knowledge of those.
If we talk WLTOYS they seem to speak Chineese. Nobady exept themself understand. You can use the same transmitter (TX) for V911, 912, 913, but V977 speak another kind of Chinesee, totally insane for me but that is how it works. Also WLTOYS use their own made RX boards (flight controller) including everything RX, ESC, GYRO etc. Very non flexiable!
But I also like to fly them :)

So, In my case I decided to go for the DX6i transmitter since that is what I think is most flexiable. You can find many receivers compatible with this transmitter, Spectrums own brand and the more cheap Orange brand (i.g. at Hobby King)
Altough I have some other TX brands as well that came with my second hand boughts but they are not compoatible with my Spectrum recivers.

I have spent a lot of time reading forums, looking at YOUTUBE, scratching my head to get to understand this. My real aahaa feeling came when I built my first helicopter from scratch and had to make my first setup in the transmitter but it has taken me a couple of months to discover and understand.
The best is if you can get help from someone with the knowledge that can sit down with you and explain.

Altough, a simple sample is my first plane (second hand bought and old) I received this Monday. The first thing I did was to take a way the receiver inside and add a Spectrum receiver (had a spare) so I could use my Spectrum DX6i transmitter to test the functions of servos, ESC and motor. This now took me about 20 min total including TX setup but it is many hours "behind" this reading and try to understand.

You can also find some quite nice good explaining videos on youtube regarding RC electronic setups. I recommed that you look at them.

Writing above get me to understand that it is not so simple to explain this simple (especially in English) but I hope it is understandable and help you a bit on the way to understand. It is not rocket sience so just give it some time.

You are always welcome to "challange" me and remember, I have been there myself!
No question is a stupid question!!

/Q

RandyDSok

However, I see a lot of guys on here with TREX , Goblin and others I can't even pronounce. Are systems like Futaba and Spectrum compatible with many different types?

Yes... with the exception being those specialized craft like the Blade Nano and such that have integrated all in one boards or similar restrictions. Most aircraft use standard radio/receivers.

Note there are some customizations that may make a specific radio model a better choice over another model. For instance car/truck radios often have a wheel for stearing and a trigger type of throttle.... Airplane and Heli radios are almost identical with the exception that the throttle stick is often ratcheted for the throttle and a Heli radio isn't but either will work for the other. Note the location of where you fly, it may be better to have radios with different modes.... for instance here in the USA a Mode 2 setup is preferred and in many places in Europe they prefer Mode 1 setups but those are personal preferences as to which person flies with certain modes. The various Modes just refers to which channel is on which stick ( L or R ) and most radios it can be user selected.

I jumped the gun buying the Walkera Master CP. I thought I was ready for CP, but found out I have a lot more to learn. I had a lot of consternation over not doing well with CP.

You should start your training on a simulator... and not risk your model until you are proficient on the simulator... that will save you a ton of money on fixing the aircraft while training.

Quangzu

I forgot one thing that might make it more clear. Normally you can use any TX/RX in your heli/plane as long it not is an integrated flightcontoller as in i.g.WLTOYS.
This means you can use your DEVO 7TX if you have a compatible RX in any heli

Capn Pete

I forgot one thing that might make it more clear. Normally you can use any TX/RX in your heli/plane as long it not is an integrated flightcontoller as in i.g.WLTOYS.
This means you can use your DEVO 7TX if you have a compatible RX in any heli
Understood.

RandyDSok

Where is a good source for sims?

As far as I'm concerned ( in otherwords, my own opinion ).... There are two good RC flight simulators that most people are using. The more popular one is Phoenix which can be purchased with or without a radio controller. What makes it more popular is that there are program updates for life. The second most popular ( and I believe slightly more realistic of the two ) is Realflight which comes with a controller. The downside to RealFlight is you only get minor updates to the program and when the next major update is released, you must purchase an update.

I can't comment on the other flight sims out there since I haven't used the latest ones and of the older free ones I tried, they didn't feel anything close to real to me.

Both Phoenix and Realflight have airplane and heli's to train with.

Top Bottom