Derek's Blue Cub STOL Maiden Flight.....finally

Derek

I've had this plane completed for nearly 4 months (I think, lol) and just today got the maiden flight in. It wasn't all smooth but we'll see the plane again soon.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tony

Staff member
Put a few degrees of down angle in the motor when you repair it. Also, a couple degrees of right. That should stop the nosing up.

Derek

Thanks Lee!

Thanks Tony! I've already added a few washers to the motor mount for the downward/right angle. Just need to replace the broken prop adapter and we'll try again tomorrow.

Derek

Thanks Graham! All in all, it was a successful maiden, I think. The plane came off the ground very nicely. No, I didn't land it with much grace but I learned from it and I'll try again today.

EyeStation

Thats a huge motor sir. I would not have thought about not enough throttle. I guess that baby isn't much of a floater.
Look forward to the next flight Derek. Great build!

Derek

You're right, Dave! It is a monster motor! I'm sure the motor has plenty of power. I was just thinking that the "wibbly-wobbly" action came because I backed off the throttle so that the plane would slow down a bit. I like to fly slow. However, like I mentioned, the plane turned out heavier than I had anticipated so perhaps this plane "needs" to maintain a certain amount of speed for a successful flight.

I will try again today and I will try to remember to maintain some speed and we'll see what happens.

Top Bottom