Default Style (theme) Change

Tony

Staff member
If you logged in and saw a white background on the site, this may come as a shock. Rc-Help has been a dark theme since day 1 but I think it's time to try some different things with the site. The first of which is the theme of the site.

It is pretty well known that white backgrounds with black text is way more common and easier to read than the dark theme to some. I am not one of these people which is why this site has always been dark. But I'm not the only one to browse this site so I have added the default theme/style back to the site and I will be working on it over the next couple weeks or months to fine tune it. Right now it's just plain and boring. I'm working to make it look a little better soon.

If you do not like the white (or dark for that matter) you can scroll all the way to the bottom of the forum (any page) and on the lower left you will either see Dark (if you are on the dark theme) or Default Style (if you are on the white background theme). Just click on that and it will bring up a page where you can select your theme of choice.

Of course you could just CLICK HERE to do the same thing, but I wanted to let you all know where that link was on the site. Again, it is on every page.

There will be other changes to the site in the coming weeks as well such as reduced ads on mobile and some other things. It's time to change it up a little.

Tony

Staff member
Most people do which is why it will never go away. It's the theme that I use as well. I just want to give the option to those that want to use the white background. Setting the white theme as default is just a test at this time. If it does well, I will leave it. If it doesn't do well, I will keep the theme, but set it back to the dark theme for default. Just have to wait and see what happens.

bigone5500

The black is also easier on LCD monitors from what I gather. Also, the white background is too bright for me to read the text.

Tony

Staff member
For me, I get ghosting with the black text on white backgrounds. Doesn't happen near as bad with black background. But again. just another option for the members and guests.

Tony

Staff member
Alright everyone, I have found another theme that I like a little better than the stock default theme that this site came with. It is now the default theme and I'm actually using it right now lol. It's not half bad. Because we had a dark theme for so long some people's sigs are not going to look right. But it's likely that those people are going to stick with the dark theme. If not and you need help changing your sig to work better on a while background, just let me know and I will see what I can do.

Hope you all enjoy the new theme. I will be playing with it quite a bit trying to make it unique.

Tony

Staff member
Yea lol, I figured most of us would. I do have a lot more time in this dark theme than I will ever put into another theme.

Tony

Staff member
Alright everyone, I have been doing some work to the Default Fluid theme/style and I have made it a little more familiar. First change is it is fluid (it will stretch with the edge of your browser) until it hits 1500 pixels. Once it hits that threshold it will become fixed. I have also changed the background to the site to be black so that we can use out usual logo. And so far the final change I made is I put the original (to RCH) Node Icons on the forum. This is the gray or red (gray for read, red for unread) icons to the left of the forum sections (otherwise known as Nodes). Just a little familiarity to the classic dark theme.

Let me know if you have any suggestions.

Tony

Staff member
Been working on this light theme for a few hours now and we are getting closer. I think I may start over because there are some things that are broke in it. Look under the reply box... yea.. Love it when things troll you lol.

Geena

Staff member
It`s definitely better than it was yesterday...LOL I really like the dark older version. Hint....hint. :biggrin1:

RandyDSok

It`s definitely better than it was yesterday...LOL I really like the dark older version. Hint....hint. :biggrin1:

The original Dark theme is still available, it just isn't the default now. As mentioned previously, go to the lower left corner of a page and you can select between the Light or Dark theme

Tony

Staff member
The Dark Theme is still on the site and available for section. Scroll all the way down and on the lower left you will see "Light" (renamed it). Click on that and select Dark, or just click here --> Style Chooser | Rc-Help Forum I think that will work for you.

Tony

Staff member
Woke up this morning to database errors revolving around the white theme. I don't have time to deal with it so I just disabled it and I will deal with it at a later date. It looks like it's going to be one of those years, again..

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
You mention yesterday that it's about time for a change on one of your post. Maybe this is a sign for good things to come. :beerchug:

Top Bottom