Curtis Youngblood flying his stingray quad 3D

murankar

Staff member
Turn down the volume. At about half way he is pyro flips and at the end he is doing the tic tocs.

+1 on the remake

- - - Updated - - -

Grass cutting quad

Last edited by a moderator:

Stambo

Wow, that looks like 4 heli tail booms all driven from one motor.
Configuring the flight control board would have been fun.
Interesting concept, I like it, I wonder what sort of flight times they get.
I am curious now, I NEED to know how it works.

pvolcko

I'm guessing four motors. Or at least two. You still need to be able to yaw so you'd have to be able to slow a set of rotors relative to the other set. And since the rotor sets need to be opposed for that to work and routing belts cross wise would be a bit much, there are probably still 4 motors in there.

Unless there are some yaw thrusters on there I'm not seeing. That would be even cooler. :)

murankar

Staff member
I only saw one motor in the back. For yaw that's what the collective will handle. Its all done on collective not head speed. I was watching an fpv flight and noticed the collective working during the turns.

pvolcko

Collective would be for banking/rolling in ele or ail directions. yaw (rotating on up/down axis) would have to be rotor speed differential (as it is on normal quads) or via thrusters. Collective couldn't induce a yaw change.

Maybe if the rotor heads rotated on the booms it could do it without head speed changes. I've seen quads that do that and they have awesome yaw rates.

If you were seeing collective changes during yaw turns then it may have been the controller compensating for loss of lift in that corner by increasing collective while it was lowering rotor speed.

murankar

Staff member
In the video you only see the front two motors and not the back. The flight controller is not a normal fbl/multi rotor f.c. It may use thrust vectoring or thrust differential who knows. We may have to spend $799 U.S. for the the rtf kit and find out. Oh and the kit has only one motor or I only saw one motor on the A main hobbies site. Either way this is one cool piece of equipment.

pvolcko

huh. Found some photos and tech renderings on it. You're right, only one motor in the rear. Must turn a shaft that feeds all the rotor drive belts.

Thinking about it abit more... I guess yaw could be induced by the controller raising pitch on one set of opposing blades and lowering on the other. Total lift would remain the same, but the increased drag on the higher pitch set (spinning in the same direction) would induce yaw. Traditional quads with FP blades do it by slowing one set. The same phenomenon is at work, increased drag on the faster spinning set or rotors induces yaw. I was thinking it has something to do with the gyroscopic effects of difference in headspeed more than the drag on the blades themselves. Maybe in the traditional quad it does play into it, but not in the way I was thinking. On this CP quad the increase in pitch while maintaining overall headspeed creates the drag differential and induces the yaw. Cool.

So I was wrong. Need to think before speaking on this stuff. :)

murankar

Staff member
Hey I couldn't even think of how it is done. As for power transfer to the front there has to be some kind of drive shaft that's not showing up in the drawings.

The thought and brains that went into this thing is just unbelievable. I think it awesome having a quad fly just like a helicopter. Think about it a pyro flip with a quad or even tic tocs. Mind blowing. I think tasajara might be the first one on here to get one.

Top Bottom