CURSE of the YouTube!!!!!!!

Whirlybird

FINALLY . . . FINALLY . . . I figured out how to get longer YouTube times :yahoo:

So, this weekend here in Bolingbrook, IL, we had a "Cavalcade of Planes" at Clow airport. This thing has been going on for 11 years and has gotten bigger each year with private, millitary, jets , helicopters, you name it on display. Last year there was a B2 bomber flyby :) Anway, I took a lot of video clips and put together a 20 minute HD video. It took 11 minutes to render on my computer. I started uploading to YouTube at 12:30 am . . . it said "Video will be available in 540 minutes" . . .

Nah! Couldn't be :nono:

Well . . . here I am at 6:30 am, 6hrs. later . . . "Video will be available in 202 minutes" . . . :yikes:

- - - Updated - - -

Well, I'll be doing some home work as it seems there are a lot of factors to consider when uploading :)

Here's YouTube's Uploading "Do's and Don't's" . . . http://support.google.com/youtube/bin/static.py?hl=en&guide=1728585&topic=1728569&page=guide.cs

Last edited:

murankar

Staff member
It takes a long time to upload. cut the final quality down to 720p and that should cut that time in almost half. I had the joys of uploading via 3g and it took over night sometimes for me. then tony suggested to cut the quality.

Whirlybird

This is an mpeg 2 rendered at 720p in PowerDirector. Usually I can upload straight from PowerDirector, however, it's YouTube upload flags videos over 15 min. as not uploadable, so I'm doing it directly in YouTube . . . have to see if I can change that in the program. Been seeing in my research that mpeg 4's & flv's tend to upload quicker.

Speak Tony . . . put you're 2 cents in :)

(PS . . . I'm here at 8:51am . . . "124 minutes remaining" Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!!!)

Last edited:

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Sometimes your better off breaking long videos up into 10 12 minute segmints and up load them that way! Part 1 Part 2 and so on.

Tony

Staff member
I render all of my videos in mp4. What mp4 does it is looks for pixles that are the same in the background and renders them together to save on the file size. I have found this to not only save the most disk space but allow the highest quality as well.

mp2 is like 4 but with a larger file since it's older.

All of my videos are at least 400mb when rendered in mp4 and 720p. It takes me about an hour to upload them on my internet. If your internet is slower (256k for example) it will take drastically longer to upload. If you have some good 20mb upload speeds, it will take you about 10 minutes lol. It all just depends on your interwebz speed.

But I always render in 720 unless it's just a short video. What was your file size and what is your upload speed?

Whirlybird

Well for one, looks like I inadvertedly forgot to switch from 1080p to 720p . . . that would tend to make a difference :yikes:

I also hacked Power Directors Registry and upped the upload time limit :)

New upload is on it's way :hdbng:

murankar

Staff member
If this applies to you, youtube limits new users to 15 min until you have uploaded enough videos.

Whirlybird

No Matt, I just found that "freedom" :)

My problem turns out to be a combination of "dumb thumbing" (forgetting to drop the resolution) and too many people in the house with iPods :yikes:

My daughter has a phone app and is on it 24/7 . . . hogging a lot of bandwith :mad:

One of these days . . . :evil: "Oh, there seems to be something wrong with the wifi, it's going to take a while to sort it out" :evil:

murankar

Staff member
Personally I would use hardwire if you are going to do uploads. Wifi is slower than hardwire so that could drop some minutes off the upload time. I also go into my network card settings and change the speed from auto to 100mbs full duplex. this will ensure you have the ability to send a receive 100mbs consistantly without windows dictating the speed. This setting only ensures you have the bandwidth availible, you will still have limitations based on your connection from the I.S.P.

Whirlybird

Sorry if I missled you Matt . . . my PC is hardwired . . . but with people on the router's wifi, it boggs things down.
Thanks for the hint . . . I'll check in to the card setting. And if I can't figure it, my son-in-law will be here in 5 weeks. He spent 5 years programing for Microsoft and has a good handle on PC networking (even though he has since switched to programing Apple products :yikes:)

I use AT&T High speed DSL :)

I canceled earlier uploads and the video is now up after 4hrs. uploading :smashfreakB:

It's in the "Member's Video" section :)

Last edited:

murankar

Staff member
When I had AT&T my package had 1 meg down and I think 762k up. Your up speed will more than likely be slower than your down speed. Now I have 10meg down and an unknown up speed. I hope to test this weekend or maybe tomorrow. I have yet to upload since I switched to land line style interwebz. Anyhow good luck solving the issues.

Top Bottom