Crash expert

apashack

Hello my name is Chris and I live in the mountains of NC. I have been flying my Blade 120 SR for just over 2 years. I recently purchased a Blade 450 3D and a Phoenix 4 Simulator. The simulator and I aren't meshing very well at this point so I joined in search of help. At this point I am very intimidated by the 450 and have not even charged the batteries yet. I know I'm not ready for real flight so I am wanting to learn on the simulator first. However I don't have the transmitter DX6i set up right and I'm not even close to a successful flight with the 450. I don't seem to have a problem with the 120 SR.

Thanks,

Chris

Tony

Staff member
Welcome to the forum Chris! As stated above, check out Stokke's post on setting up Phoenix. It's done on a DX7s, but you can adapt it for the DX6i pretty easily. Remember, do NOT put any mixing in teh Tx, the sim takes care of that. You should have your swash setup to 1 servo 90º. If you have any other questions, please post them in the appropriate sections. 450 section for the 450 3D or the Phoenix section for the sim.

:welcome1:

idon'tknow!

rc-help EXPERT.......????
welcome aboard Chris! once you get Phoenix working it will be a pleasure to fly with you ;) good luck with flying!

apashack

Wow what a nice welcome. Thanks to everyone for the help so far. I will read as much as I can over the next few days as I'm sure there aren't any questions I can ask right now that haven't been asked before. And I know how annoying asking the same old tired questions can be for the members. So I will do my best to search and read before I jump into asking any questions.

I must admit that moving from the 120 to the 450 has been a rude awaking so far. I'm so intimidated at this point I'm staying on the ground for a while. When I learned the 120 I crashed it badly in the 1st 5 minutes. My local hobby store carries parts but I don't want to show up there needing parts for the 450 as fast as I did with the 120. The counter guy even said "see you in a few days" (with a smile on his face) So I plan to take it really slow and get it flying well in the simulator before i ever lift off. I know I will crash it but it won't be because I just fired it up and went for it with zero experience in the simulator.

Thanks again,

Chris

EyeStation

Toss a sturdy set of training gear onto that 450. Keep it wide enough to give you plenty of time and leverage to catch your mistakes. It might make your LHS counter guy a bit lonely too.

Graham Lawrie

Welcome to the forum from Scotland Chris:) hope to see you on Phoenix after I return from my holiday in Turkey in 3 weeks:)

apashack

Hey there Chris, if you want Phoenix setup help for the DX6i check out this thread,
http://www.rc-help.com/showthread.php/6022-HOW-TO-Configure-Phoenix-Flight-Simulator-by-Marius-S
If its settings for the Real one, I'll let someone else chime in.
Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the link to the set-up. It only took me about 10 minutes to get everything going in the simulator and now I'm flying. The 450 is way more responsive vs. the 120. However now I can finally spend the hours I need on the simulator.

Thanks so much!

Chris :cheerful:

Tony

Staff member
I will read as much as I can over the next few days as I'm sure there aren't any questions I can ask right now that haven't been asked before. And I know how annoying asking the same old tired questions can be for the members. So I will do my best to search and read before I jump into asking any questions.

Chris, I created this forum to try and get away from this issue. The bigger forums will dog the crap out of you for asking a "noob" question. That is not the case here. If you have a question, then post it up! We are here to help, not flame you for asking a question, that yes, may have been posted before on the forum. All new members will ask the same questions, and I wanted a place where they could do just that.

If we know of a quick link that could answer it better than typing out a 30 minute response, we will link you to it. But, we will never tell you to "try a search" unless we don't know the answer. And that doesn't happen very often. lol.

So post your question bro, We will help you every chance we get.

john2012

Banned
welcome aboard chris and yes im still new also but have been here awhile i to have the same sim but just finished my 450 pro 3gx and it flys sweet. love it! happy to have you on board happy flying

apashack

Now that's refreshing! I have been on forums before where you get nailed as soon as you ask an old tired question. So thanks for being so understanding of us "Noobs". I really want to master this 450 but I know it will take time to do that. At the ripe old age of 54 things aren't as easy to learn as they were years ago. I have already found a wealth of information here and I've only just begun reading the forums.

There is a kid here in my town that helps folks like me get started. He and I are supposed to get together one day in the next week or so. I'm a really visual learner. I've not tried the online simulator thing yet but I plan on doing that this weekend. I've owned the 450 for just under a week and have not even fired it up yet. After a few hours on the simulator I'm glad I haven't. At this point a crash is sure to happen. I will be visiting this forum daily and practicing on the simulator for as long as it takes to feel comfortable. Knowing me that may be a while.

Again thanks to all of you for your kind words and input.

Tony

Staff member
It's our pleasure, we are here to help, not hound lol.

We do have a flight school that gives you some instructions on how to get into the air for the first time. Just click on the Articles tab at the top fo the forum, and on the left, you will see Rc-Help Flight School. I have not finished it, for one I sold the heli here a while back (even forum owners get burnt out lol), and now, I can't keep a heli in the air. Not because of crashed, but issues. But, i will be finishing it before you move up to step 12.

Here is the link to go directly there.

Rc-Help - Rc-Help Flight School

apashack

I added the training sticks but they seemed to really confuse everything. I'm sure it was out of balance because it was very difficult to control and even hover. At any rate I crashed it pretty good. I Bent the Flybar, cracked the canopy and took a few teeth off of the main rotor gear. It was a lack of skill and a bit windy. I over corrected and to the ground it went. Looks like more time on the simulator while I wait for the parts to arrive. I'm not giving up. This just means I have to try harder and get more flying experience using the simulator.

Top Bottom