Covid 19 Ruin Flying Area

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
I went to my favorite spot to fly this morning and found out that the state park I've been flying for over 7yrs has closed because of covid 19 :(. So I went to my back up place. There's no shade and no trees close by to block the wind but I went ahead and flew my X3 and 500. Here's the X3 at the new location

RandyDSok

Hmmm.... I know Trump mentioned the National Parks were, at this time, to remain open and also not charge an entrance fee so people had an open areas to get out in. He almost mentioned they would be closed if people started congregating to closely together but was hopeful that wouldn't happen.

I wonder if they had that type of issue... or if this is a backlash from the number of people on beaches not keeping at safer distances from each other. Whatever the cause or reasoning... hopefully they will reconsider those rules for your sake as well as everyone else in your area.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Last week when I flew, the park rangers and staff said that the park is staying open. The pool, kiddie pool, basketball, tennis courts and the slides,monkey bars, swings and ect were closed to the public but not the park it self. That's why I was shocked when I saw the gates closed this morning. NOW there's a good population of homesless people living in the woods at the park that might have something to do with it. One of the rangers wanted my card so I can use my drone to locate their camps in the woods. That was last week too but haven't heard anything from them yet. Eitherway it stinks since it's the only fun I really have is flying over there :(.

Our club field is shut down for the foreseeable future. Our medical people are saying it could be end of June before the non essential restrictions are eased. Then it was on the radio that all people over 70 should not go out in public at all. Two minutes later the phone rings and it's my daughter. She says, Dad, you and Mom are under house arrest. I'll do your shopping and errands until things get better. So, guys, be safe and be careful.
Don

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
That's great your kids are watching over you Don. My self, I don't have any kids. The wife does but there all up north in New Hampshire and up state New york. We been prepers for 10 yrs + so we are ready for pretty much anything. Plus Florida is a Hurricane state, you have to be ready for those suckers when they hit. April 1st we started 30 day, stay at home orders. I'm not worry about the covid 19 killing me...It's being stuck home with the wife for 28 more days that's going to kill me LMAO. God Bless, take care and be safe everyone :).

Smoggie

Sounds like we are all going through similar restriction. For the last two weeks the UK is under lockdown. All non-essential businesses closed, leave home only for essential purposes, no gatherings etc etc. This had led to closure of all official club fields but i have been able to sneak out under the lockdown radar and fly at a quiet 'unofficial' field not far from my home. I figure that standing in the middle of an empty field without another human in sight is not putting anyone at risk.

Admiral

Australia is the same, the only reasons we are allowed out is to go to an essential job, shop at the super markets, go to the doctor or exercise but only two people.
We thought about flying, just two of us and say we were exercising our thumbs, but if Police don't agree they can fine you $1500 on the spot.

Looks like I dust off the Micros still got a couple of MSRs a Co-axial Bell 47G and my Blade 180 CFX, may need some new batteries though.

IMG_4404 (Medium).JPG With original dust, kept them to fly for Grandkids.

Okay Admiral. I'll see your $1500 and raise you one million + 3 years in jail. This applies to any one who is tested and found to have the virus but can stay at home rather than hospital. This person now goes out and passes it to another and they die. Authorities here have been very successful following the trail back to patient "0". He gets the 3year holiday and fine. The City of Toronto is issuing $750 fines for not keeping social distancing. Montreal had to put an ankle bracelet on a lady who would not stay home .
Our medical experts gave a press conference today about where we are in this battle. If we had done nothing we would have had 6000 deaths. With the measures put in place we should only have 1600. With more stringent measures maybe down to 200. All this at the end of April. Worst case for Ontario is, we get to have this virus for the next 18 months to two years. Death toll between 3000 and 15000. If we had done nothing the death toll would have been 100,000 over the course of the virus. We all are looking at a big problem and it' up to the citizens help make it go away. If you want to see the report, google "Ontario releases steep covid potential death figures."
Again, stay safe.

Don

Matt

Nice flying D.O.G, good job on the flips and rolls. I’m seeing some inverted hovering too. I know that is not easy, especially with a big heli like the 450 and 500.

As far as how Covid 19 is affecting me is very little. Everything is closed around here but they are not super strict about having rules and fines and things like that enforced.

Last edited:
Top Bottom