600 Convert My Trex-600 To Fbl

Alex Evans

I intend upgrading it to a FBL / DFC head and after experiencing the Microbeast v5 I want to now to purchase the Spektrum RC FC6250HX for this conversion.

Will it be compatible with the Beast - the USB2SYS dongle so that I can program it on my Windows pc?

Cheers

Smoggie

USB2SYS is a BeastX product, so not compatible with the Spektrum FC6250HX. The good news is you dont need to connect it to a PC. All of the setup is done from your Spektrum transmitter. You only need a USB adapter for updating the firmware. For updating you would need the Spektrum USB adapter, I assume the SPMA3065 is the one needed.

Alex Evans

HI Smoggie,

But, you see - I prefer doing things on my PC, whenever I can. I experienced doing it on my TX with the MicroBeast v5 for my Trex-450 and I must say, I didn't like it. Yesterday, I watched a video clip by Horizone showing how to setup this new FC6250HX, the demo was done using tha latest Spektrum Tx and I am not going to upgrade now my good Spektrum DX9.

So, maybe I should try and get the previous Spektrum controller 72xxx , but I can't find stock for it. It had built into it the BeastX.
Also, it seems this latest FC6250HX requires a Telemetry Rx to be installed, which I am also not excited about.

Thanks

Smoggie

The FC6250HX comes with a telemetry Rx (SPM4651T) so you don’t need to buy anything extra.

I’ve never used this FBL but as far as I know it can only be setup from a Spektrum Tx, your DX9 would be ok.

if you want a PC setup interface I suggest the Brain2/iKon2 or the Spirit2. You would then need a receiver such as the SPM4651T

Alex Evans

I liked the Spektrum previos versión which had the Tx and Gyro all in one. I wonder why it was discontinued.
With this new option, is there a demo on how to set it up with a DX9 that you can point me to?

Thanks again for your feedback

Smoggie

The Spirit Pro is an excellent unit. I’ve set up dozens of them so If any questions feel free to ask. The SPM4651t is a good receiver option.

Alex Evans

Hi Smoggie,

Thnaks for the feedback. I placed my order yesterday, paid with PayPal and got payment confirmation, but no feedabck from Spirit confirming my order, is that usual?

I started looking at the manual for setup, I must admit, I am confused about the various connections. I am using Spektrum DX9 black and will get a sattelite Rx (I assume goes into AUX1). CH1,2,3,4 are clear. I have no use for CH0.

What does this mean "With Spektrum DSM2/X satellites throttle must be connected always to the unit." What is Satellite Throttle? Does it mean that my ESC plug goes where? I have no idea what is Governor setup either. Nor do I have a smart ESC, nor intention to have Telemetry monitoring.

A satellite RX doesn't have any plugs, so I can't plug the throttle into it.

On the manual page : 7 CONNECTION OF SPEKTRUM DSM2/X SATELLITE

The following picture is what I am confused about, hope you can help me here. Thanks

Spirit_Pro.jpg

RandyDSok

I don't think it means the satellites throttle.... I think it's saying if you are using a satellite... you must connect the throttle ( ie the ESC ) to it's channel that is shown on the drawing...

Of course... I just fly planks.... so take anyone elses comments over mine... I'm just trying to translate the words

Smoggie

Rdsok is right, just follow the diagram. However my recommendation would not to use a satellite. It’s best to use a serial receiver such as the SPM4651t because that will support the full capabilities of the Spirit, especially integration between the Tx and FBL

Alex Evans

Hi Smoggie,

What will I be missing if I use a satellite? I have already purchased it. Can I use the device you are suggesting - SPM4651t and plug into the secondary port the Satellite? Or there is no point in doing that?

On that drwaing - it says THrottle ESC (AUX1) and next to it on AUX2 - BEC. Is there a point to add BEC input on top of power brought in by the ESC? Or if I do that, I MUST disconnect the RED wire from the ESC plug...

Cheers

RandyDSok

The drawings are made for any eventuality ... so IF you were using a BEC ( or additional satellite ) then the location they mention is the recommended location to plug them in.

Satellites primary purpose is to provide additional diversity for the radio signals... In other words, if there are areas that may block the signal, using a satellite will help avoid having a "shadow" in that area so you don't loose signal from the transmitter. When you have a controller ( such as the Spirit ) that already has ports to plug in your servos, it isn't uncommon to only use a satellite to provide a receiver that is compatible to the radio you are using ( DSMX in this case ). So whether you are going to use one or two satellites will depend on if you have any areas that the signal may get blocked...

BEC's ... some ESC's don't provide a BEC... ie Opto ESC's to be specific. On ESC's that do have a built in BEC, some don't provide a lot of current ( amps ) to power the devices like the receivers, servo's and whatever else you may be trying to power. In this case, using an additional BEC that does provide more power, may be needed. If you do add a BEC, you need to disconnect the built in ESC's BEC if it exists by disconnecting the power line ( + ).

Alex Evans

I fly in a club that is a flat area. My flying style is very close around me.
How do I know if I will have signal lost to justify adding a 2nd Sattelite to the Spirit.

Yes, the BEC topic, I know - thanks

RandyDSok

When I explain stuff... I do tend to over do that... some to help you if you didn't happen to already know it... more to help others that may read the thread later looking for answers to things they don't know already. You had questions about if you had enough current or not with your ESC and only you can "add up" the amount of power you expect to use with the parts you have selected... I was just trying give you context to help determine that.

As for the signal question... I've always just had to imagine it in my mind by looking at the model and then take into account what parts are going to be between me an the receiver while in flight. Examples would be ... is the frame made of carbon fiber which blocks signals... is the battery, motor, engine or other components big enough to block my signal.

All of my planes that I flew regularly, were balsa and electric... so I only needed to consider the motor and battery when I was doing that. Heli's have so much other stuff... I can only imagine what may block a signal or not... I don't have direct experience to list off everything to consider.

Smoggie

The BEC input on the Spirit can be used for a couple of purposes:
  • Most large ESCs that have built in BECs feature dual output leads (because each lead individually is only good for about 4A, which is not enough for a large heli).. so the extra lead goes to the bEC port
  • Connect stand alone BEC (or battery), which may or may not need the ESC red wire disconnecting, depending on ESC.
For the remote receiver. I see on your other thread that you have purchased an SRXL2 remote. This is different to a traditional DSMX satellite. I'm a little out of date on what rSpektrum receiver is best to use because I now use Jeti. I would suggest you join the Spirit forum and ask the question there. Tomas who designed the Spirit is very active on the forum and will help you out.

Last edited:

Alex Evans

rdsok, All sounds OK to me, your explanation and reason behind it show a thorough thinking kind of guy. Thanks.
Yes, the Heli has a CF body (I think they all do) and yes, there are other components on the way between my Tx and the Rx.

Alex Evans

Hi Smoggie,

Turns out that the supplier of my initial Rx contacted to say that they actually don't have stock, so I cancelled the order and purchased the SPM4651T instead.

Thanks for your help and I will join of course the Spirit forum

Cheers

Top Bottom