Batteries Confused About Mah

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
I have the XLPower heli 550 and confused about the electronics used on this bird. One site suggest using 100a + ESC, 6s - 4000-5000mAh. Another site suggest using 80a + ESC, 6s - 3000-5200mAh. I'm using 120a esc Hobbywing. I was wondering if I can use my 6s-3000mAh batteries that I use on my 500 and use it on my 550? I have 4- 3000mAh batteries that needs to be discharged and the best way is to fly it. Can it be done without any electronics being damage like over heating or strain? Any input appreciated :).

Admiral

No issues with the electronics side of it, the only issue I can see is the COG of the 550, you may have to balance it with a bit of lead or something.

Smoggie

I flew my XL520 with packs in range 3600 to 4500mAh. With the smaller packs the battery had to be well forward.
With the longer boom of the 550 and the smaller packs, CoG is likely to be a problem

Tony

Staff member
Yup, just watch that CoG and you should be fine as posted above. CoG is not that big of a worry on helicopters like it is on planes, but if you fly inverted, and you do, it can make a difference to have it centered. For those that only do sport flying, you can compensate for it pretty easily if it is off a little. But, pretty easy to set it.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Well I took you gentlemen's advice and flew her. Wasn't bad at all to fly the batteries vs discharging the batteries. Fun too :).

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Did you check the temp of the batteries when you are done?

Ah yes. The temperature was very hot first battery. I turn down the timer and just flew around like a bird floating in the wind. The other 3 batteries were fine. I'm not going to do that again. If I do, I know just to Cruz around to drain the battery :).

Top Bottom