General Collective is "GONE", see below

Dennis H

Well, I thought I had everything set up and running, and I did.

Futaba recommended I switch my 7008 RX to the 12 channel setting. I did so today. I first set the 7008 to the 12 channel mode (2 lights blinking). I cut power to the 7008.

I then powered up my Futaba 14SG, went to the link setting, changed it to 12 Channel, verified it, and cut power.

I then linked the 7008 with the TX. All proved out OK.

I cut power to all. Then I repowered my TX, made sure the 12 was on the LED screen, then I powered up the RX. All went great. The servo's moved like the are suppose to and all.

I have aileron, elevator, rudder, throttle, BUT now I don't have any collective response, none. The servo's move as you check tilt, yaw, and elevator, gyro works normal.

I have tried everything including switching back to 14 channel mode and the collective is not responding to the transmitter commands. I even set up a new model just to check, no help. I have relinked the 7008 several times just to make sure there is no problem.

I have checked all settings in the 14SG.

If there is going to be a major problem, I will find it!

Anybody have an idea where my collective has stopped. There is "0" response, but throttle is a OK. LED shows all functions on the TX are working.

Thanks, Dennis

Geena

Staff member
On the 14SG, one of the knobs affects pitch. Why they did that, I don`t know. But you might want to try turning both knobs all the way up ( clock wise) and see if that makes it work. If it does, I suggest disabling those knobs.

Dennis H

On the 14SG, one of the knobs affects pitch. Why they did that, I don`t know. But you might want to try turning both knobs all the way up ( clock wise) and see if that makes it work. If it does, I suggest disabling those knobs.

You are referring to the two "dial knobs" at the top of the radio. YES, I already INH both of those knobs. I knew they affected pitch and one other function.

Nobody has a clue why Futaba set the radio defaults like this, NOT even anyone in the tech department.

Last night after posting this, I put my DSMX satellites back on and binded them to the radio, then tested the unit again. EVERYTHING works great. So the problem is between the 14SG & and 7008. I like the 14SG so much, I really want it to work. I might even call Futaba again today.

I will recheck the settings on the knobs just to make sure.

Thanks for the help,
Dennis

Dennis H

UPDATE: The best thing I did yesterday is remove the Futaba 7008RX and put my DSMX antennas back on the Skookum 720. I re-binded the Skookum to the JR9503 Radio. I believe I stated earlier when I did this, all functions work perfect. I was really scratching my head, but it eliminated several areas, mainly the Skookum 720.

After talking to Futaba and going over notes, plus trying several things throughout the day, I stumbled across the problem.

All equipment is functioning properly. The reason I was having all these inconsistent problems was due to a "software conflict" between the Futaba 7008 RX (and the 14SG radio) & the Skookum 720BE!

I stumbled across the problem and figured out what the Skookum was looking for as well as finding out what the 7008 & the 14SG was sending out!

Futaba is very sensitive with their "end point" settings, or you can say the Skookum and Castle are very sensitive. Either way, I worked with the Radio, the Receiver, and the Skookum software settings.

I now have my Helicopter back and all functions are working correctly. I found a pattern it liked and wrote it down.

This is why I was pulling my hair out. It was not a mechanical or electronic failure, strictly a software compatibility issue. This is why I was getting all the inconsistent readings.

The Futaba 14SG is very detailed vs. the JR9503. Another reason the JR worked and the Futaba was not.

I also have the RX set to the 12 channel setting, and verified. Just for the record, when changing the two channels, you have to bind the radio again to the new setting. If you have your receiver on 12 and power the TX up with 14 still active, it will NOT work, and vise versa the system won't work.

It's been a long road with me almost ditching the project, but I got to the bottom of it.

I am looking forward to flying the Helicopter tomorrow, and hopefully there will a very good report to post.

Thanks for everyone's help, all put together, the problem got solved.

Dennis

Dennis H

Out of interest, what was your reason for going 12 ch mode ?

Futaba recommended it, and I don't plan on using telemetry on this Heli.
I can easily switch back to 14, and also can "easily" switch back to by DSMX system.

It was one heck of a ride. I am just HAPPY I decided to put my DSMX unit back on. When everything worked perfectly, I knew it was in the radio or close to it. I just didn't know Futaba was so tight with their settings, or Castle is also a culprit in this puzzle. Mostly it was getting the 7008 to communicate "CORRECTLY" with the Futaba 14SG radio and the Skookum 720BE. I spent several hours experimenting, I knew I was getting close as every adjustment was getting me closer to the final fix, then finally I found it.

Many were waiting for the outcome, and some were surprised when I figured out the solution. Most thought it was a lost cause.

Sometimes I wonder if it was really worth it, but I am happy and satisfied now.

I can't sleep waiting for daylight. Will probably be too tierd to fly when sunlight appears. LOl

Take Care, Dennis

PS: You're correct, No BOOKS or VIDEOS shows this type of information. I have dealt with electronics all my life, so I guess it was an asset on this project. I just would not give up, even if it meant buying more receivers.

Dennis H

I have to give Kudo's to Castle and Futaba, plus many friends who helped tremendously with this project.

Now it's time to regroup, get my brain rested, and let my eyes rest a little also. Then sometime today I will FLY!

Dennis H

INTERESTING: I have received PM's and comments from people around the Globe on this issue. It turns out that I am not the first person to have issues with the Futaba and Skookum software.

Some gave up, some just made it work, but all state the information that was posted was every helpful and were following the posts. I posted this problem on several boards. And all stated NONE of this information is published, NONE, not even in the manual.

I have learned even more from their responses.

Definitely the 14SG and Skookum units, well as one person put it, they're not made for each other!

I just hope when I try other controllers down the road, I don't experience another situation like this. Some people told me they are using other units and had no problem linking the systems together with the 14SG. So again, I guess this is a Skookum issue.

I guess it's like Software on a computer, as the Window System are upgraded, your older software "may" not work with the updated systems. Skookum has been around for awhile, but computers and "Transmitters" are constantly being updated. This is just a thought, but a good example.

I also learned the following, well had it better explained to me, The Futaba 14SG in 12 channel mode operates differently vs. being in the 14 channel mode.

System Type
■ FASSTest 14CH ---
■ FASSTest 12CH ---
■ FASST MULTI ---
■ FASST 7CH --- FASST-7CH system receiver mode. Up to 7 channels can be used.
■ S-FHSS --- S-FHSS system receiver mode. Up to 8 channels can be used.

FASSTest system receiver mode. Applicable with the telemetry sensor unit. Up to
18 channels (linear 12+ON/OFF2) can be used.

FASSTest system receiver mode. Applicable with receiver voltage display. Up to 12
channels (linear10+ON/OFF2) can be used. Telemetry Sensor cannot be used, but
the response speed is a faster than that of the 14CH mode. (
I never thought this might be an issue, but after reviewing everything, it could of made a difference on some items. The 12 channel system does change your collective channels. I wish I would have realized this early on.)

FASST-MULTI system receiver mode. Up to 14 channels (linear 12+ON/OFF2) can
be used.

Futaba recommended me using the 12 channel mode, but after talking to a person who experienced similar issues with his system, I might switch it back over to the 14 channel mode. It all depends how it flies. Like we both said, if it works, leave it alone.

I am still resting up, my eyes are actually hurting, LOL, they just need a little break.

Dennis

Top Bottom