Trucks Clutch Question

Newbie3.3

Ok as my name implies I am new to the Traxxas T maxx nitro. After rebuilding the one I have, second hand. I noticed that at idle the slipper clutch gear spins. Should this be happening. I mean should the clutch on the engine drive shaft be engaged even at idle? On my helicopter the clutch only engages at a certain RPM. On the T Maxx the (primary) clutch seems to be engaged even at idle causing the slipper clutch to spin at a very rapid speed even at idle. To me it would seem that the clutch on the drive shaft of the engine should only engage and cause the slipper gear to start spinning at a certain speed...IE when the throttle is applied...hope this makes sense.

Tony

Staff member
This is pretty common, but if you are having a fast spin where it would catch and lunge the truck once in a while, you may need to back down your idle via the idle adjustment screw. It is normal for the clutch bell to spin while the engine is running, especially if your bearings are not perfectly clean, which they never are. So it is always going to spin. Also, the transmission input gear/shaft (spur gear or slipper gear as you call it) is just on bearings until it spins fast enough. But as long as the truck is not lunging, it should be fine.

The helicopter has the entire head that it also has to move to spin the clutch bell which is much more than just spinning a shaft on two bearings.

Top Bottom